My new MBP, a (surprisingly) happy ending

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spgiva, Oct 18, 2008.

1. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Since I can not change the thread title this is todays (10/20) sad adition:
    Originally written October 18th:
    So I went to the apple store yesterday, unsure if I would be buying a new MBP. I have been using a PowerBook G4 running 10.4 for the last 3 years, and have been wanting to upgrade for about a year. The things I thought I really wanted on the new machine were not there, namely a hi-res 15" screen. I was not excited about chicklet keys, and was really sad to see the end of matte screens. At the same time, I really did want a computer with better graphics & CPU performance, for games, for downloading and watching hi-def video (the PB could only handle 480p files, nothing larger), and for some photoshop work (once upon a time I was a graphic designer, but have since gone back to school in an entirely different field, so I do a lot less intensive graphics work then I once did). I considered buying a clearance MBP, but I wanted to take a look at the new models first.

When I actually got my hands on the new MBP I was pleasantly surprised. While pictures and video of the new design did not wow me, when I was standing in front of it I really liked the design.

The keyboard: it is so much more usable then the chiklets on the old MB's. The action on the keys is perfect (for me at least). I am actually typing with fewer typos then on my old PB. I have been in love with the PB keyboard since as long as they have made them (5+ years I think). I never thought I would like a new keyboard as much, but this is a real dream to type on. And when the key illumination is on they are just gorgeous. I tried to snap a photo, but none of them really captured just how stunning the jeyboard looks all lit up in dim light.

The monitor: this is the only area thing that I am not in love with. I have been wanting a a high-res 15" monitor for ages. I loved my PB monitor, and I resented loosing pixels in an upgrade (the PB is 1440 x 960 in a 15" monitor, rather then 1440 x 900 in a 15.4" monitor). I did take a quick look at the hi-res 17" monitor they had in the apple store and it was gorgeous, but more money then I could afford to pay, and more weight then my back is willing to carry on a regular basis. I actually like the black bezel around the monitor (did not think that I would, but again this something that looks a lot better in real life then in videos and pictures). I could however deal with a thinner bezel, closer in size to the old MBP/PB. I still really wish that there was a high res version of the screen, but the color on this monitor is gorgeous. If I was still making my living as a graphic designer, this would probably have been a deal breaker for me. But now, most of my intensive computer use is for leisure rather then work, so I have taken the hit on the monitor. The one other minor gripe I have is the unilateral sided ports. I am ok with having all my ports on one side, but I wish they would let you choose which one. If all the ports were on the right, that would be perfect. The fact that they are all on the left is less convenient for my desk. A brief word on glossy glare, namely it is not that bad. The apple stores are lit up brighter then the sun and so the glare there is actually pretty noticable, but once at home, in my medium light, unevenly lit appartment the glare is actually much reduced provided there is not a light directly behind me. I would still like a matte option, but the glossy is a lot better then I thought it would be.

The track pad; hot damn! Using this trackpad is a thing of beauty. Now I was someone who used the limited multitouch functionality of the old PB track pads (scrolling & clicking), so I am an easy convert for multitouch. It does feel very similar to, but better then my old PB track pad. The balance of smooth/friction is excellent. It does not feel like glass, but it does not feel like plastic either. It almost feels like microfiber that has been wrapped taught over a solid surface. The only issue I have had with it so far is this: there is apparently a multitouch action that increases the size of text in Safari. I have inadvertently done this action 2 or 3 times in the last 42 hours. If I actually new what the action was, I would probably use it intentionally, but I don't, and since I don't it means I have to fix it using the keyboard command, rather then the trackpad.

Now obviously I am seeing amazing performance increases on even mundane tasks, but I am trading up from a PowerBook and not a MBP, so that is to be expected. I have yet to feel my MBP get even warm, let alone hot, but I have not done and truly processor intensive activities yet.

So overall I am pretty much in love with my new computer. I do recognize that this is no longer a true pro computer and more of a high end consumer model, but since I guess that is the category I now find myself in, I will take it. I have included pictures below because, apparently I am a proud new mommy. :eek:

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00278.jpg

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

2. Red-red macrumors 6502

3. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I'm bigtime on the fence with buying a new MBP. I currently have the previous model before this new one and its in 100% perfect shape so I really have no reason to upgrade on that respect.

but I do like to have the latest and greatest so now I need someone to talk me in to buying a new model so I can sell my current one. lol

4. Red-red macrumors 6502

There absolutely no need upgrading imo if you have the last model, the jump isn't that huge unless you have money to burn or you can get one of those offers you can't refuse for your current one.

For me for example i'm going from a AMD3500, 1GB, 7800GTX pc so I will obviously see a huge jump.

5. spgiva thread starter macrumors regular

spgiva

Have you actually gone to an apple store and played on one for a bit. My guess is that is all you will need. Either you come out with a gorgeous new toy, or you will go and realize you do not love it as much as your current MBP and you will save $2000 dollars. Either way you win. :rolleyes:

And thanks Red-red. Here's hoping that fed ex moves quickly for you. I could not stand the suspence so I just bought at the apple store. I will say the instant gratification is amazing!

6. HerQ macrumors newbie

Want to receive mine today! Apple says still 2 weeks, crap :( Ordered the High-End 15,4" with 2.8GHz and 250GB, immediately Tuesday night (well, I live in the Netherlands, 9 hours later than Cupertino). When I look at all the pictures I found until now, I have to like it more and more, the only thing I dislike is the glass screen.

Will visit an Apple Premium Reseller (no Apple Store in Holland) next week, can't wait any longer :p

7. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Eeee, exciting! Congratulations :D

I agree, the keyboard feels very different to the old MB's, which is a big relief for me as I've struggled to get along with my sister's MB when typing.

This is great to hear. I went to play on the new MBPs yesterday and, since the store is so bright, found the computers running at maximum brightness to compensate for the reflections. Which they didn't really manage to my satisfaction as the reflections were still quite distracting to me on darker screens, such as the desktop, although I will say I didn't notice them that much when surfing the internet/typing etc.
    I'm still hoping for some kind of glare-reducing film for the new machines, though, if only to stop the thing getting ridiculously smudged! The one I played with yesterday was covered in fingerprints.

Yeah, I love the trackpad. I thought I would and I do and I can't wait to get one home :D
    Re. the text size increase, that's kind of a cool feature but annoying if you don't know how you're doing it! Do let us know if you find out what it is!

Wishing you much fun with your new machine :D
    Now I want to go back down there again today...

8. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

couldn't you determine the multitouch gesture for this from within system preferences --> trackpad.

i don't have one of the new models, but from the pics i have seen of the new trackpad preference pane, it looks like it would be fairly easy to scroll down this list and determine what you are doing re- the safari text size issue. (and most likely turn off this gesture if you don't want/like it?

9. spgiva thread starter macrumors regular

spgiva

Figured it out!

And now I feel a little retarded that I had not figured it out sooner. It is the same action that you use to enlarge an image in iPhoto (two fingers spreading away from each other). In the preferences it only mentions images, so it did not occur to me that this is what I was doing. And it only works in safari (and not in firefox).

To Change topics: Another thing that I did not mention in my original post, I love the battery/hard drive cover and release mechanism. I huge improvement over the release in the PB that you needed a quarter or something to open. This one is easy to use and at the same time really secure.

10. jTreu macrumors 6502

Yea that's the one thing I wish my MBP had, the hard drive replacement is ridiculously easy on the new one. And the battery status indicator on the side is a nice touch too, no more flipping it over.

11. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Ah, I thought it might be the zoom but figured you'd probably know if it was and didn't want to patronise you, seeing as I'm not even a Mac user yet! :p ;)
    Thanks!

12. spgiva thread starter macrumors regular

spgiva

Grrr . . . a not so happy surprise twist

So after 4 days of a dream relationship, I closed the lid on my new MBP and went to get some dinner. When I came back and opened it up, it would not wake from sleep. Nothing worked. So I did a forced restart. Grey screen, apple logo, spinning cog wheel . . . for 15 min! I tried a safe restart (with shift held down), same thing, I reset the power manager, I reset the PRAM, still no luck. Per the Apple IT guy, I tried to do an archive and install of the OS. . . . and the install failed! Tried to Verify the disk and Verify disk permissions, these also both failed. A hardware test came up with out problems. So now my brand new baby is getting shipped back to Apple. :mad:

I should know better then to buy a 1st gen apple product in the 1st few weeks of release. :(

13. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Wow sorry to hear about your misfortune especially when you were so excited about it. Heres hoping it gets turned around quickly and back into your eager hands again. Good luck.

14. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

15. stooley macrumors regular

I also had this issue with mine...except I was able to boot back in after a forced restart. I would put mine to sleep, come back later and when I opened the display...it just stayed black. The Sleep indicator went off...it is like the video card did not want to kick back in....who knows. It locked up quite a bit though so I exchanged mine...let's hope this one goes better. It took about 3-4 days for it to start just like yours :(

16. spgiva thread starter macrumors regular

spgiva

Guess you did not read the new events. I just added them to the original post to avoid further confusion. :eek:

17. spgiva thread starter macrumors regular

spgiva

On mine, the sleep light actually would not go out, and was just on (not doing it's usuall pulsating snore). I had had this problem with my PB on occasion, but it always restarted without problems. The failing OSX install and failing disk verification is a completely new one to me. If anyone has any ideas as to what the source of this problem is I would be curious to know

18. dkeninitz macrumors regular

I've been in the same boat for the past week, but finally decided to jump in and get one. I ordered it from Amazon. In my case, I CAN use the bigger HD (my current MBP is only 120mb), and I actually like glossy screens. But I'm not expecting a huge performance leap.

19. FilipMil macrumors member

ok sorry is it just me or your computer on the left side with the firewire symbol is TOTALLY fake...it looks like a few pieces of cardboard put together and an image of the computer keyboard and trackpad pasted on....

20. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Um, just you. Not only does it look like my old PB, but why would he fake the old one?

OP: hang tough. I'm hoping it works out for the best. I bought the first MBP, rev 1, and it ran strong for 2.5 years. My lesson learned? By AppleCare.

21. ivan98 macrumors newbie

From pictures, the (new) MBP keyboard is everywhere similar to the (previous gen) MB keyboard, physically. How is it that it feels different??

22. marvel2 macrumors 6502

How far does the new MacBook Pro's screen recline back in comparison to the PowerBook. this was a huge annoyance I had with the old MBP design.

23. damlog89 macrumors newbie

I'm writing this on my new MacBook Pro and I am extremely happy with my purchase. Definitely one of the best things I have ever bought. And all of you people complaining about the glass screen that's gonna be "too reflective," you obviously haven't tried it yet, or you are content with your current model. So stop bringin us down! Please. :cool:

24. damlog89 macrumors newbie

It goes farther back than the old MBP. There's a picture somewhere on this site or on appleinsider showing the difference between the reclining angles of each. It doesn't go flat or anything, but definitely further back than the old MBP. Sorry, wish i had the link to give 'ya.