My new MBP arrived today!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GibsonMarshall, Feb 4, 2008.

1. GibsonMarshall macrumors member

I love this thing. I know I went against the Buyer's Guide and all, but I figured I had better buy one now before I spend the money on something stupid. :)

This is my first Mac and I'm in love. LOL! I got the base 15" with the 7200 RPM 200 gig HD upgrade. I've been on it for an hour and I haven't had any problems.

Anyway, I just wanted to let all of you know!

2. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Congrats!

The day I got my MBP was one of the most exciting days yet!

3. GibsonMarshall thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, this thing is great! I'm going to have to get used to it though. I'm definitely a "newbie" when it comes to this operating system. I love how everything is laid out.

I ordered 4 gigs of RAM from OWC on Saturday and it arrived today. I'm going to put it in later.

So far it's running very smooth!

4. a4abt macrumors regular

Congrats on the new MBP!

I bought mine a little over a month ago and still love the computer like it's the first day :p

I was also a "switcher", like Steve Jobs likes to call us...and I can't believe I've waited that long to finally convert to Mac.

BTW, take 10 minutes and install the 4gb RAM!!!

5. GibsonMarshall thread starter macrumors member

I just installed the memory and it's a good bit faster! It took all of 2 minutes to do it.

6. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of quality computers!
    I have a macbook and it's the bomb dizzle!

7. r00 macrumors member

Congrats! I actually went to the Apple store today when my mom had to replace her MB battery. I swore I would wait until the updated version but the whole 40 mintues I was in there I couldn't leave the MBP. Needless to say I gave in and I'm typing on a 2.2 MBP right now. This notebook is beautiful. I would only be upset if they released a quad core MBP tomorrow and I doubt that's happening.

Good luck with it!:apple:

8. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

quad core? now thats pretty funny
    were having heat issues with two cores, a quad core would problaby melt steel

9. GibsonMarshall thread starter macrumors member

I'm not going to be upset at all if something new comes out. This thing is running circles around my desktop PC. Heck, it boots up in like 20 seconds. LOL! I can't get over that.

Things are still kind of rusty getting used to Leopard, but it's nice.

10. eswank macrumors 6502

Congrats. I'm still torn in deciding on what notebook to get!

11. a4abt macrumors regular

LOL congrats on you new MBP :D

The update will be good, but the current MBP is still an amazing computer and I wouldn't need anything more than what it has to offer!

12. lekun macrumors regular

Did you buy it from the Apple store? If so I bet no updates tomorrow. They usually hold shipments a day or two out if there is going to be an update.

13. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

Congrats! I love my MacBook like a child haha.

14. MacUser226 macrumors newbie

Congratulation!!! i am "switcher", well I will be soon. i am forcing myself to wait for the update as i need this notebook to last me a while. i am glad you like it, i hope i will as much as you sound like you do.

Can you tell a difference that you went with the 7200 rpm drive? your configuration sounds exactly like the one i was going to go with and i want to see if it is a wise decision.

15. GibsonMarshall thread starter macrumors member

I ordered it last week and it took a little while to get here because it was a custom configuration due to the hard drive upgrade, so I don't know if I fit into that category or not. I ordered it last Sunday.

I hope that gives you guys some hope. :)

16. GibsonMarshall thread starter macrumors member

I've never been on a stock MBP with a 5400 RPM HD of a smaller size.

There really isn't any crazy added noise from the faster HD. The heat issue is pretty much non-existent, unless I've got it charging. My Gateway's HD, which is 7200 RPM, makes more noise than this thing does. It's rather quiet on just your average run of the mill tasks.

Get it and upgrade the RAM. I ordered mine from OWC Saturday night and got it today. I ran it without the RAM for about 3 hours. It was swift then compared to a Windows Machine. After upgrading the RAM, I could tell a difference immediately in this Flash Chat Room where some of us local people like to congregate every night. It made a huge difference in that area.

17. darfel macrumors member

Congrats on the purchase! You'll look at Windows in a new light and just laugh, I do.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I bought my first Mac (a Mini) 5 weeks before the massive Intel switch. It was a good computer, but frick.

I bought a MacBook Pro last year because the Dell notebook I had gave me one problem too many. Five weeks later, they double the memory and add LED-backlit screens. Egads. I'll make sure to let all you guys know when I buy my next one so you can upgrade 5 weeks later!

I'm really jealous of the 7200 rpm hard drive. I think mine is at 5400 rpm. Considering how often stuff is read from a hard drive, that *must* speed it up a bunch.

Be aware that memory upgrades aren't always seamless. I dropped $40 on a 2-gig stick to add to the 1-gig that came with it. Well, they didn't agree with each other. The 2-gig works fine alone, so I'm keeping it there. Probably has something to do with the word "ValueRAM!"

19. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I'm going to do that soon. When I have a bit more money in my bank account!