My new mbp came with an old battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steamster, May 23, 2011.

1. steamster macrumors newbie

Hey all,

My MBP is about 4 1/2 months old - and having just installed coconut battery I've realised the battery/ "age of my mac" (which i'm guessing is when the battery was put in) is 10 months old and my battery health is 87% 5050/5770 which doesn't seem good..

is this common place with high usage or is it that my MBP was sitting in a warehouse for 10months?

So yeah it's not that old, has had 198 full cycles (i use it ALOT - at least 5 hours everyday because it's a crucial part of my work).

I can't help thinking that i've been sold a "new" macbook which has an old battery in? I'm not jumping to accuse apple of that though before I know if this is a non-issue or not.:confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Coconut battery is known to be inaccurate on the age reading. I prefer using iStat Pro to track stats. As for your battery health, it's normal that it will fluctuate up and down over time. Calibrate your battery to make sure the readings are accurate. Also, run on battery when you don't have AC power available, and plug it in when you do. This will reduce the number of cycles you're consuming. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. steamster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

I also use istat pro, i downloaded coconut to see if they agreed, and they do. So im guessing my battery is actually older than my mac? If that's even possible..

Im usually pretty ocd about plugging it in and charging it properly so i dont know how the health has degraded so quickly.

4. steamster thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that, pretty interesting. So i actually bought my macbook in november (memory :eek:) and it was built in july. Meaning my battery is 10months old so thats all normal.

Any ideas why my battery life has deteriorated so quickly when you are supposedly meant to get 1000 cycles out of it before it drops to 80% capacity? I've not yet reached 200 and its 87... so that's not particularly great is it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the Battery FAQ I posted?