my new mbp has 2 dead pixels and they wont replace my screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kristalghost, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Kristalghost macrumors member

hello,
    A month ago I brought a mbp and it had 2 dead pixels, I returned to the store and they sent it for reparation, now after more than 3 weeks I finnaly get my mbp back.
    they did NOTHING! they told me that 2 dead pixels werent enough to fix it!
    they are position close together and in the right upper corner. (about halfway to the center of the screen)
    could anybody please explain me why they won't fix 2 obviously dead pixels on a 2000€ mashine that has the blody apple care.
    I live in belguim and when I called apple they told me to try another point where I'd have to bring in my mbp AGAIN.
    apparently if youre mac isn't perfect when you get it, you are screwed even with the "apple care".

can anybody please help me! those 2 pixels irritate me!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I fail to believe that Apple even accepted your notebook for repair with two dead pixels if they weren't going to fix it. I thought they had to diagnose the issue and if it needed repair they would take it. I went in with a MB once due to the poor screen and they wouldn't even consider taking it in so I returned it.

I would call Apple Customer Care and state your case.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I believe that five is the minimum for a fix based solely on dead pixels.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Many people report having better luck calling Applecare and shipping the computer in--rather than take it into an actual store. They seem to be much more liberal with returns/exchanges over the phone.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Don't take no for an answer. Explain to a manager that it's brand new and for $2000 you expect a display that isn't flawed.

Call in and ask for a manager or go to multiple stores.

Good luck.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I don't know how anybody could possibly not be bothered by five dead pixels, especially on such a small screen.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As unfortunate as it is all companies carry this same policy and some will evencharge and extra insurance (hypersonic I'm looking at you) of $300 for "no dead pixel guarantee"

IMO dead pixels are not common enough to be taken as the norm.

8. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Funny thing is that Asus guarantees no dead pixels within 30 days of the purchase date. If Asus can do this all other manufacturers should offer the same thing!

9. darkdream macrumors member

Because Apple can? Why lose money when they do not need to?..especially when their sales are growing drastically. They are a business not a charity.

10. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

It's all about who serves you at the Genius Bar. Some are nicer and more accommodating than others. I returned my iMac outside the 14-day no-questions-asked return window with just two dead pixels and they swapped it for a new one on the spot.

11. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Because when you sell a 'premium' product you should have premium service. There is a reason why Apple's GM's are the highest in the industry. They serve a wonderful customer base and they should expect excellence when it comes to a defect free display.

12. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I bought my iMac and my Macbook Pro in person from my university bookstore. Even if there was one dead pixel, they would have been required to refund my money if I returned it within 30 days. I would never buy direct from Apple.

Tom

[edit: I was able to customize my purchases and still had my local consumer protection under law. 1 dead pixel is all it would take]

13. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Eh, it's really hit/miss w/ pixels. Speaking as someone who has had their fair share of dead/stuck pixels.....you'll live.

Just use your computer as you would any other machine, and you'll be just as happy w/ it.

If it makes you feel better, my iPhone 3G has a BRIGHT stuck white pixel. :eek:

14. weckart macrumors 68040

Wrong. This so-called policy is a business to business issue and has nothing to do with consumer sales, although some less than scrupulous shops try to fob you off with this. Do not be fooled. Dead pixels = defective screen. Under EU laws you can return this for a refund or exchange.