My new MBP is flawless and I love it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wahoo10, Mar 29, 2009.

1. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I've seen some horror stories on here about bleeding screens, flimsy hinges, scratches, whatever, and I just want to say that I have a perfect one! I'm sure there are a ton others out there, but people just don't speak up because they're too impressed with their beautiful machine.
    Right now, it's a little weird to be typing on the keyboard, I feel like my fingers keep slipping around, but honestly, my typing has never been so good or so quick. My old 12" Windows laptop felt like it had a much smaller keyboard, which it probably did, and so sometimes my fingers slip into the cracks between the keys. Other than that, his one feels solid and is fun to type on, perfectly amount of resistance so I'm not randomly pressing keys, but my hands don't hurt typing.
    Also, the screen. Absolutely AMAZING. Just stunning. I've heard people get problems with headaches from the screen, and I haven't noticed anything so far, but we'll see. The brightness is overwhelming to the point where I have it on the fourth setting down from max bright, and I'm in a room with an overheard fan light.
    Oh, and did I mention the beautiful aluminum? The edges are a bit sharp but I've quickly found a suitable using angle.
    What I like the most is set-up took all of 5min. I didn't do a clean install, maybe I will one day, but I just wanted to play :p I liked that I logged in, and could instantly get to Safari (sorry Firefox, but you may have been replaced :(), iChat, and my mail. I bought iWorks so that's gotta go on next.

My only questions:
    1) I have an external drive with all of my windows stuff (documents, music, etc). How can I transfer them over?
    2) AppleCare came with a CD...what do i do with this?
    3) Apps I assume are programs. How can I download these? Or are they bought?

Glad to have finally taken the jump. Biggest jump, but the best :D If you're considering making the plunge, don't worry about all the negatives on here, if there's anything wrong Apple will replace it in a heartbeat. If not, you can join me in a new, beautiful world

2. NickM macrumors 6502

Welcome to the world of Macs. I too am a new recruit...as of a month ago. It's quite nice, ain't it?

As far as transferring over your music and documents, you should be able to do it just like you would to your PC. Your external drive should be readable (but not writable) by your new Mac. Try hooking it up and getting whatever you need from it.

I waited a couple weeks before I did a clean OS install. I just wanted some time to play too :) and to get better familiar with the OS and how things worked.
    I've never really used Macs before, much less seen one actually install the OS. So, it was a new and cool experience.

Enjoy!

3. forever.moore macrumors newbie

I don't really have any advice to add, just wanted to chime in with my two cents worth because of the name of this thread. :p
    Five months ago I bought my wife and I each a new 15" MBP at the Apple Store in the local Best Buy; not the new ones, but the older ones which were then on clearance. We previously each had a desktop PC and one shared laptop PC. It seems like I was not much more than an unpaid maintenance man. She played games and chatted day and night and I defragmented, scanned and updated! I thought that was a normal thing, that someone needed to spend hours each week keeping the beasts from being overrun by invaders or from screeching to a halt on their own. Boy, am I ever happy with our MBPs! No virus scans, no defrags, nothing but just using the doggone things! My life is so much simpler now, especially since I wasn't exactly a computer expert to begin with. All we have now are the two MBPs and a 1 TB Time Capsule, and that is it. How could it get much simpler? We have not had a minute's trouble with any of our Apple stuff, which, by the way, started in 2006 with a couple of 5G iPods, then a couple of iPhones and now this. Thank you Jesus, life is good.