My new Mini & Keyboard niggle

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wheaty, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Hello

I have finally got a new mini.. WOOO! very exciting (well it is for me)

After a few teething troubles... discovering there are two types of DVI input - Wrong cable DOH!

USB- PS/2 adapter for my old tracker ball is not working, I wil try and find a different adapter to try.

My Wacom Tablet did not work as a mouse until I installed drivers for it.. Fortunately I could nick my other half's USB mouse to get me going, other wise I would have had to go and buy one.

My current wee niggle is the keyboard. Unfortunately the only USB keyboard I have at the moment is an huge old MS thing, its horrible. And I cannot seem to get the @ and " in the right place for a British keyboard. I have looked through the language and keyboard settings, changed keyboard types european - ansi 101 etc, but still at a loss. I'm sure its obvious to all in the know, but give me a hint please! :confused:

Cheers

Wheaty

PS, attached is a rather poor photo of my "upgrade". Out with the old Dual P3 700 :eek: with 512Mb Ram and 30Gb HD XP/BeOS, and in with a new :apple: Mini.

Attached Files:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

They are a miniDVI and a miniDisplayPort output, not two DVI imputs.

Have you tried Alt/Option + L yet?
    Maybe you have. Found something via "windows keyboard in mac os x": http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2005/11/20/using_a_british.php

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

USB to PS/2 adapters don't work on Macs. Macs have never had PS/2 ports and as such don't know what to do with the translated commands.

You'll need a regular USB mouse and grab an Apple Keyboard if you can, having the right keys in the right place is handy.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I use a Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 without any problems. You just need to install MS's Intellitype/Intellipoint drivers. This swaps puts the command and option keys in their correct placement. Alt becomes command, start button becomes option.

I assume the op meant a Microsoft branded keyboard otherwise Spinnerlys link may work. A great thing with the MS keyboard is I can program the media keys. I have play/pause, forward and back programmed for iTunes only thus no matter the active program window it will continue to control iTunes.

edit: As for the PS/2 to USB I know hackintosh's have PS/2 drivers. So maybe they are a part of OS X or at least downloadable.

5. Wheaty thread starter macrumors regular

Wheaty

Thanks for the help.

I now have some keys in the right place, but at least I now know what I'm looking for and where. I'm sure I'll sort it out now.

It is a proper MS keyboard, lots of buttons, scroll wheel etc... I'll probably replace it when Its a bigger priority.

Still fiddling with the PS/2 thing. I have a Logitech Track-man ball which I really like and the modern equivalents still cost £50-£70 hence I would rather use it than bin it if I can.

As for the DVI, there are two types (or more) Mac uses DIV-D but there is also a DVI-I which has four extra pins around the large flat one... now I know :)

Cheers

Wheaty

6. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

My Hackintosh has PS2 ports on the motherboard. No drivers are necessary in Leopard or Windows XP Professional for using a PS2 mouse and keyboard.

7. Wheaty thread starter macrumors regular

Wheaty

Just for reference, I have made some progress with the keyboard.

I now have function keys working on my keyboard, big improvement. Still working on the layout, but at least the bulk of it behaves as I would expect now.
    I take it Back, didn't spot that I now have a British-Microsoft keyboard layout installed. It all works as it should. the " and @ are where they belong and the same for \/.,# and others

The 6.3 version of the drivers that velocityg pointed out didn't even pick up the keyboard. but I spotted a reference elsewhere that in the newer drivers that they dropped the older keyboards and mice.

Not cracked my old PS2 tracker ball yet. It was only ever made for windows, and just before USB became a standard, so sadly I'm not sure it ever will.

LINK>>
    IntelliType Pro and IntelliPoint 6.0 Keyboard and Mouse Software for Mac OS 10.2.x to 10.4

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8f-efbf-4d31-a0b4-e603a3db5ac8&displaylang=en

My Keyboard is a Microsoft Office Keyboard rather large, has an extra scroll wheel on the side with copy and paste buttons.