my new MP seems frozen....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rockinrocker, Jan 9, 2008.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

OK, initial boot up.
    prior to witch i put in brand new 2nd drive. did software updates, and it looked like it was going to shut down (menu bar and dock 'n stuff are gone) and now it's been like 45 minutes with just the default background showing... is something wrong or is it just formating the new drive?

disc first aid opened before the software update and asked about formating the new drive and i thought it didn't take very long....

2. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Did you begin formatting the 2nd drive? If so, and if it's a gigantic drive, it could take a while. But I'd imagine you would have some sort of progress screen...

I'm not how far in your set up you got.

Did you get through all the welcome stuff -- languages, internet setup, fancy hip music playing and neat space graphics whirling around making you feel all warm inside?

Did your other updates finish before you tried to format the new drive?

If there is no dialogue with 'Cancel' and pressing Esc doesn't do anything, you may want to try a hard power off (hold down the power button for about five seconds. Then power it up again. However, I don't want to give bad advice because I'm not sure what's going on by your description.

3. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

hey, thanks a lot for the response.

the weird thing was, i clicked erase in disc utility and nothing really happened, the window just closed. so i thought maybe it was just happening in the back ground or something. so when it asked about software update i thought it would be fine to go ahead and do that.... and now it's just on an empty screen. though it does sound like somethings happening.....

maybe it's formatting the disc and i just need to chill....
    (i think i might be a little on edge 'cause i've never spent this kind of money on a computer)

4. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

oh, and yeah, got through all the setup stuff.

and the drive's 500 gig, so could that maybe take a couple hours?