My new MPB has arrived

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pneublet, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Pneublet macrumors member

I ordered the morning of the 23rd, shipped the morning of the 29th and it arrived this morning on the 31st about an hour ago.

The MBP is a CTO: 2.53, 4gb ram, 320 7200rpm

This is my first apple computer. I use them occasionally at school and my previous laptop died so I felt it was time to have a more reliable machine that was better built and had better customer service.

So the first thing I did was go through the checklist of problems. No burnt pixels I'm pretty sure. The screen is pretty fantastic and indoors at my house I have zero reflection problems even with the screen light not all the way up. As for the screen falling, I can bring the laptop to about 75-80 degrees before it will fall closed, so this isn't an issue at all.

The battery cover is the only problem I've noticed so far. It's not big enough to be a problem, right now, but it does shift. It doesn't wiggle without something pushing on it and it's not a problem, but it does shift around if I push it (even with pushing out the tabs a bit more). It also doesn't sit perfectly flush but that doesn't bother me. If it's an issue when I start putting this in a case then I'll deal with it then.

Everything else so far is pretty flawless. I don't love the spacebar on the keyboard. I can't get three finger gestures to work in firefox (but the others work). Now I just need to get more familiar with the OS.

Thank you all for informing me about every detail of this machine before it arrived. You guys have been a great help.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

firefox isn't coded to use 3 fingers just yet... but I've successfully installed a special beta version of it that supports that (and its wonderful)

3. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Do a search for Multiclutch.

4. Pneublet thread starter macrumors member

Multiclutch works great so thank you.

Does anybody know what Apple charges to replace the battery cover with a new one? I'm considering bending this one into the right shape and knowing myself pretty well I'll end up destroying it.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations and welcome to the world of Mac; may you and your MBP live long together and prosper. You'll love the MBP; I switched last April and am very happy with mine.

Cheers and good luck

6. Pneublet thread starter macrumors member

I went to apple to replace the battery cover. They agreed the cover was the problem but they couldn't do anything about it. They said they don't have the cover as an extra part and they can't even order it. I was told I either had to go through applecare and replace the whole laptop OR take a cover off of an existing display model. So we went one by one on the display models to find ones that were in perfect condition and fit the best. Now this laptop is nearly perfect =)

7. AW.kennedy macrumors member

that is one really cool thing about a company - when it it takes responsibility for customers across the board - not just as much as they have to..

companies that pass me around in circles because they can't take responsibility for a customers needs really annoy me

-AW