My new Newton eMate

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Theclamshell, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

This is the story of my Newton eMate. It just came on monday and i am addicted to it. First, the handwriting recognition works exceptionally well and it weighs less than the new macbook air. Its small, its sleek and quite frankly its sexy. Never did I imagine seeing let alone obtaining the sexiest piece of electronic equipment ever made. I have an unnatural attraction to the Newton eMate. It is one fine machine and the joy of it trumps anything I have ever felt for an electronic device. And today, just now when I realized it held a charge, i nearly wet my pants.

(Half of the story was added in for dramatic effect. I am not actually someone with an electronic fetish but the eMate is really awesome)

Anyone else have one or any message pads?

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Your relationship with this device is quite amazing.... :D

EDIT:Oh! I see, it's not really like that. Sorry. I've never owned any of the messagepads. I'm really too young to have seen those when they were new.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I don't have an eMate, but have a few of the others. Post some pics!

4. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

Here are some pics

Attached Files:

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Newtons are great fun. I love using my MP2000 every excuse I get. If you haven't already, head over to the United Network of Newton Archives and download all the cool apps you want. I'm trying to seed the torrent since it seems nobody else really is at the time.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

So was it a cross between a tablet and a PDA sorta thing?

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The eMate weighs significantly more than a MacBook Air. It's in the order of 2 kilos while the MacBook Air is 1 to 1.3. It's also much larger physically.

They are cool though, I have one that's been sitting in a box for over ten years and it looks like it's only just been opened. The handwriting recognition is great but not well suited for the laptop-style upright screen, much better on a MessagePad though. The keyboard is nice and solid but very small.

The battery still holds a good charge too, not bad for something from 1996.

It's an awesome bit of retro Apple cool.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Sort of a netbook but without the net.

A light (for 1996) laptop with great battery life (well over a day of use on a charge) and focussed around the Newton OS rather than the full Mac OS.

It was sold to education institutions for the kids to do work on. It's completely solid state, built like a tank and runs well.

9. Theclamshell thread starter macrumors 68030

Your right, i just compared them side by side. But the emate is pretty light! Mine also holds a nice charge. Im very happy because i did not want to do the battery mod to it.

10. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I have an eMate too. I haven't used it for any thing, I got it off ebay a few years ago. $40 with power cord, stylus, good battery. It holds it's charge.

I bought it, just to have one. I always wanted one when I was in school. I've played around with it, the handwriting os had a very hard time recognizing my handwriting.

I didn't think the keyboard was that small to type on though. I could easily take to class and type out notes with it.

Hugh

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I got one for about $85 shipped like new complete in box...

Some teacher got it for free to use in their school district but she hardly used it and it never took off there...

Great for a collector like me... ;)

12. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Oh, no wonder there are many still today running, if they're quite robust like you say.

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Is the keyboard on those noisy? The keyboards that came with the MessagePads were quite loud, so I never wanted to take it where it would be distracting to people. Very stiff to type on too.

14. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Congrats on your acquisition, they are fun little machines.

15. XaPHER macrumors regular

XaPHER