Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngardiner

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2008
So yesterday I went to futureshop planning on picking up my copy of Age of Conan, when $2800 dollars later I emerged with a brand new 15 inch macbook haha. I was on the fence about waiting until WWDC but decided that I should just go for it and return it if I hear a new one is coming out. Anyways that's beside the point.

The real point is that I LOVE my new macbook pro. I got the 15 inch 2.5ghz 512vram 2gb ram matte version and its just beautiful. I'll be upgrading my ram soon after my credit card recovers from yesterday. I absolutely love the simplicity of OS X and while still getting used to some of the features I can say i've converted! Also put xp on it to play age of conan and some steam games and it runs fantaastic for those too, especially with the special drivers.

So for all those negative posts here's a counter... everythings been perfect on it... battery, wifi range is better than my old hp dv6000, and the screen are all great. I love it!

vr4playa

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
wow $2800 for a 15" MB-Pro :eek:

since you sound like a big gamer it sounds like you'll need the graphics so getting a 13.3" MB was out of the question, but that still sounds steep since it's 2x what I paid for my MB + upgrades that put it close to the specs of your MB Pro(-.5 ghz and possibility to upgrade to 4gb RAM)

either way, enjoy, I made the switch to :apple: almost 2yrs ago and haven't looked back :cool:

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I just hit the 2 week mark with my new MBP and couldn't be happier. Traded back my Blackbook, as I was having Kernel Panics, and gladly paid the difference.

Congrats on your new MBP, you are going to LOVE it.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Congrats and welcome!!

johngardiner

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2008
wow $2800 for a 15" MB-Pro :eek:

since you sound like a big gamer it sounds like you'll need the graphics so getting a 13.3" MB was out of the question, but that still sounds steep since it's 2x what I paid for my MB + upgrades that put it close to the specs of your MB Pro(-.5 ghz and possibility to upgrade to 4gb RAM)

either way, enjoy, I made the switch to :apple: almost 2yrs ago and haven't looked back :cool:

sorry i should have explained better.. the actual macbook pro was 2399+tax (futureshop matched the apple.ca education discount).. then AoC was 105 after tax, and i bought some other stuff. but yeah expensive day haha

vr4playa

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
also forgot to mention CDN... even though at the moment the CDN is more than the USD and thanks to my desktop widget found that 2800 CDN=$2838.

back when I went to Niagara Falls and Toronto in Nov I know they were talking about lowering the prices to celebrate the looney taking over the dollar since it only helps to have a stronger currency if either a) it drives up wages, b) drives down prices, c) you travel to where your money is worth more :cool:

but yea my $1099 MB quickly cost over $1500 after AoC, tax and MS Office Student Edition and I had to throw in a 4gb Nano so I could finally get an iPod along w/ my first Mac ;)

vr4playa

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
oops, noob mistake, I thought you meant Apple Care and NOT Age of Conan :p

lol, I'm glad to say I never really got into gaming as I found frosh yr of college how distracting and time-consuming GTA3 and NFS were, not to mention that South Park episode that made fun of MMORPG's as well as my roommate who recently discovered that he has played a total of about 3 weeks time playing WoW :eek:

now Guitar Hero... thankfully my brother moved out along with his XBox 360, otherwise I'd have callouses and carpal tunnel in both hands... other than that, games have become too complicated for me, funny since I'm only 24, but I yearn for the days of PS1 or even SNES

isauce

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
:d

I can join the ranks now, cause the MBP is awesome. Though I bought mine refurbished. Otherwise, its great!

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
I know exactly how you feel, I LOVE MY NEW MACBOOK PRO! Picked in up on Tuesday! 15inch 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, Matte Screen...I really love it, big improvement from my first generation macbook. Favorite feature....Lighted Keyboard:D

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I know exactly how you feel, I LOVE MY NEW MACBOOK PRO! Picked in up on Tuesday! 15inch 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, Matte Screen...I really love it, big improvement from my first generation macbook. Favorite feature....Lighted Keyboard:D

mmmmm . . . lighted keyboard.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I'm now three weeks on my Mbp 17 hires, 4gb and 320gb, but man do I love it! I came from a 15" but I'm always working in two documents and with the hi-res I can view both at the same time. My productivity has boosted to my suprise! I dropped the second screen, no need anymore for that! And the onboard speakers are much better. But now my wife is as happy as can be as she upgraded from an old toshiba satelite to my one year old mbp 15".
I think MBPs rock :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.