Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I had a chance to do a quick side-by-side comparison of my wife's mid-2007 SR 15.4" MBP with my new 15.4" Penryn 2.5 GHz MBP. Some brief observations:

> From what I can tell, port locations, DVD drive and overall case are exactly the same fit, finish, locations, etc.
> The backlit keyboard on the Penryn MBP has a slightly more bluish tint, but I don't think it's as blue as the picture on Apple's web site. It's a good shade.
> The Penryn MBP runs MUCH cooler. Running the same tasks, it never became uncomfortably warm like my wife's MBP.
> Web pages seemed to open about the same speed, but my web pages tended to hang a couple of times while loading.
> The key markings on the keyboard are set up more like the standard Apple iMac or external USB keyboard (see other threads on this).
> Office-type applications do not open noticeably faster on the Penryn, but these applications aren't very resource intensive.
> No yellow tinting issue in either MBP,other than the usual yellow tinting when viewed from off-center.
> I love multi-touch. Zooming on photos and text is great.
> Mine looks newer! :D

I'll add more if I find any real differences, or let me know if you want me to look at anything specific.

Czechmac

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
London, UK
Thanks for your findings. My new MBP is finally on its way and should be here soon. I especially like the fact that it is much cooler. Can't wait to try out the multitouch...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.