My New Quicksilver

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Feb 6, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

For a while now, one of my most used PowerPC computers has been a Quicksilver 2002 model(the one with native "big drive" support).

The computer I've been using started life as a single 800mhz, and I upgraded it with a factory dual 1ghz card(and heatsink). Unfortunately, the 800mhz processor lacked an L3 cache, and Apple seemed to have locked out the firmware from supporting an L3 cache. I was never able to take full advantage of the processor.

A few week ago, Gavinstubbs listed a real, honest to goodness dual 1ghz Quicksilver on the Marketplace here, and I was able to dicker with him a little bit and ended up buying the computer. It's absolutely immaculate, and what's more, the original owner seemed to have checked almost every BTO box when buying the computer. It had-from the factory-dual 80gb hard drives set up in RAID, an airport card, a GEForce 4MX, a Superdrive, and a SCSI card.

In preparation for receiving the computer, I took the chance to "clean up" my old one a bit and replace the somewhat temperamental Maxtor hard drives. I cloned both the boot drives(Tiger and Leopard) onto a 500gb WD Caviar Blue, and used a refurbished 160gb WD drive to serve as common storage as well as an OS 9 partition.

When the computer arrived, I went to work on it. I removed many of the BTO options(Gavin had already changed the graphics card out for a Radeon 9000), including the hard drives and airport card, but kept these separate and tagged for this computer.

I then transfered a few of my interface cards over. I ended up using a Radeon 9600 Pro rather than the 9600XT I've been using in the other computer, but moved the WiFi card(an Airport Extreme compatible Motorola PCI card) and USB/Firewire card from the old computer. The BTO SCSI card in the computer was identical to the one in my other QS, so I didn't bother transferring that and instead just plugged my scanner right into it :)

I also reconfigured the displays. I picked up a 23" HD display, and decided to use that along with my 17" Studio Display. As the 9600 Pro lacks ADC ports, I had to use DVI-to-ADC converters(fortunately my 23" HD display came with one).

The only thing missing is the ZIP drive in my old one, but I rarely used that and have a USB one for the times when I do need it(or maybe I'll transfer it over-I'll have to give that some thought).

Here's the new set-up. I'm amazed at how much faster this computer feels compared to the other one-I need to benchmark it and see just how much difference the L3 cache makes. I also need to repaste the CPUs on the new one.

I don't have 6 displays :) , but this set-up works well given my space constraints

Attached Files:

2. powermi macrumors regular

really nice set-up! now time to enjoy the dual QS!

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Neener neener neener!

[​IMG]

JK!

:D

----------

Seriously though, nice Mac! I love the Quicksilvers!

Great combo there too! :D

Shotgun and a Quicksilver. ;)

4. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I realized it was there after I'd taken the picture :)

I was using the Quicksilver to look up detail strip instructions on the gun, hence it being by the computer(not that having a shotgun by the computer is a bad thing anyway :) )

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me the make and model of shotgun! :)

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not me. There were guns in the house I grew up in but except for military weapons (my dad was a Marine, 1st MarDiv, Korean War, hoo-rah, 1-2-3-4, United States Marine Corps and all that!) I'm fairly clueless about consumer arms.

Getting back to the Quicksilver, must be nice to have the HD display. I also noticed the A1006 down there below the desk. ;)

6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'll have to take an under-desk photo later. There are actually two of them down there, since the 9600 Pro has dual DVI out rather than DVI+ADC.

I paid just a shade over $100 including shipping for the HD display, and it included the A1006(the other one is from the auction you linked to a while back). It came from an architecture business, and apparently they'd just recently upgraded to Thunderbolt displays. I base that on the fact that they shipped the Cinema display in a Thunderbolt display box that showed the Yosemite wallpaper.

In any case, I messaged them and asked them to remove the rear foot before shipping-something that they agreed to when I explained the reason why-and the display arrived unscathed. I'm just glad that I had it delivered to and held at the Fedex store down the road from work, rather than leaving the big white Thunderbolt display box sitting on my front porch all day.

7. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

picture is a bit dark, but maybe a Winchester model 12 with a custom choke added.

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Dead on-it's a c. 1925 Model 12 in 16 gauge.

The monstrosity on the end of the barrel is a Cutt's Compensator-these were all the rage for duck hunters and skeet shooters back in the 40s, 50s and 60s before interchangeable choke tubes came on the market. That was pretty much the only way to get interchangeable chokes(short of changing barrels) before screw-in chokes came along.

Winchester actually offered them as a factory option on Model 12s, although mine is aftermarket(a factory Cutts doesn't have a choke marking on the barrel, while mine started life as a full choke).

I haven't shot this one yet, but I'm told that the Cutt's is a good way to clear off the firing line at a public range.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Another name for the Quicksilver is Mercury. You can call it the "Mercury Mac".

10. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

BTW, here's the under-desk photo showing the two A1006s side-by-side. I just wish that I had a white power cords for both of them.

I also need to clean up the mess of cables :)

Attached Files:

11. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

What for, you'll just make all the rest of us feel bad? :D

12. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Clean up your cables and you won't feel bad. It's fun to clean up the cables and rewarding once it's done.