My New Ride

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pcguru83, Jul 19, 2007.

1. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Hey guys,

I don't participate in these off-topic forums much, but I just had to show off my new car. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The '07 Rabbits come with a 2.5L I5 that produces a surprising amount of power. This power comes by way of a 6-speed Shiftronic transmission. This is VWs hybrid tranny that alows clutchless shifting. What's interest though is that it will allow you to hit the rev limiter in each gear and won't force you to switch gears as some of these hybrid trannys do. This amounts to a good deal of fun.

I also opted for the 16" alloy wheels. The standard 15" steel rims with wheel covers look hideous. The upgrade to the 16" wheels come along with a significant tire upgrade too. They come equipped with some pretty nice 205/R16 Continentals.

That's a pretty big tires for a car this size and it's effects show. This thing is an absolute blast to drive. It's so nimble, so responsive, so fun. :)

The interior is very nicely appointed as well. I love the signature VW blue dash lights. The tach, speedo, and radio display are all illuminated in blue. All other lighting accents such as radio control, driver information panel, climate control, etc use red lighting.

I'm in love with my new car. It's a big jump from my old '91 Accord, and something my wife and I have been working towards for the last year. Yay me! :D

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Haha awesome plate! Was 1337 taken or did you choose to go with L33T?

3. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

:p
    No, I chose to go with L33T. I figured more non-tech people might get it that way. Isn't that great though? :D

I'll be perfectly honest, I totally forgot about my plate when I posted this. That makes it all the more appropriate!

4. walangij macrumors 6502

OMG! Another MKV owner!!!!!! Your car is BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm so glad you are loving the Rabbit, and Black is a beautiful, especially at night! Is the color just black or black magic pearl? Enjoy the car! And search on google for some online forums like golfmkv and vwvortex, there's a lot of MKV owners who get together, go on drives, tailgating, ect. V-Dub, and a mac user, perfect.

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I prefer the name Golf... as they are called here in Europe. Rabbit is a bit ... well ...

Anyway nice car. I'll stick with my beemer though :D

6. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

The official color according to the VW website is "Black Uni". It's a beatiful, rich, dark black though. Very nice. The pics I took this morning don't "pop" as much as I'd like because of the morning dew on the body and windows. I forgot to take some last night before it got dark. :eek:

I ran across the vwvortex forum yesterday when searching for a place to get some of those Monster rubber mats. It's definitely a place I'll have to start frequenting.

7. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Man, I would love a Volkswagen so much... and that one is just the right size and so cute. What a perfect-looking car. And I bet it's fuel-efficient, too.

If you don't mind me asking, so that I can judge if I could afford it, what was sticker/what did you actually pay/what are your monthly payments like? :)

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

I'd like my next vehicle to be a diesel-powered Rabbit. But my Beetle is still going strong. Next year, it should have 200k miles on it.

9. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Sure, I don't mind at all. The MSRP was $17,400. I paid $17,000. After tax, tag, title, and doc fees, I was financing $18,400. For 60 months, the payments runs just over $360.

For all that you get, this car is actually very competively priced in the market. I was very pleasantly surprised. Apparently, VW is trynig to push the Rabbit now as a competitive entry-level car, and has reduced the base price accordingly. To give you an idea, my dealer told me that just a couple years ago the base price of the Golf was around $17,000. The entry level for the new Rabbit is now only $14,900.

10. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Wow, that's awesome. Is is one of the New Beetles? Diesel?

11. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Nice looking car although, at first glance, I'm not too fond of the interior.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Looks cool. I love hatchbacks and own a black one (non-VW) myself. :)

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Isn't its esoteric quality the point of it? L33t =/= 1337, catering to the masses is when things go downhill. :D just my opinion. You got a nice car and nice plate, kudos.

Did the top get painted or sumthin? It looks like it has a matte finish or sumthin.

14. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

You're probably right about the L33T vs 1337 thing. I still have to explain it to virtually everyone. Oh well. :)

As for the roof, I totally didn't notice that. Not painted, it's just the morning dew covering the top of the car. Those pics do make it look bad though.