My new short about coffee and monkeys...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NickFalk, Mar 16, 2008.

1. NickFalk macrumors 6502

NickFalk

2. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

I like the style. did you do the illustrations?
    ..i don't know if all of those facts are true or not, but I'm still glad I don't drink coffee after watching that...

3. NickFalk thread starter macrumors 6502

NickFalk

Thanks.
    Yes, I did the illustrations. Just trying to keep it simple/rough and not tinker too much with getting everything "perfect". I find it helps me actually finishing some stuff and think it gives it a certain raw charm.

I do*believe the facts are true, as I actually learned about this a few years ago when I visited Norwegian Coffee Information. The coffee in question is apparently not widely available though. Go figure... :D

4. theprizefight macrumors member

I watched part of a documentary on coffee from jamaica, which is supposedly some of the best coffee in the world. All of the berries are hand picked and then the beans are sorted via a machine..Nothing about monkeys. Very good animation though.

5. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I like it....not a film pro though. How did you zoom in on the stuff like the globe in the begining and stuff? Did you use FCE or FCP? If not, what did you use? Thanks!

6. NickFalk thread starter macrumors 6502

NickFalk

Jayeskreezy:

Images scanned and touched up in Photoshop.
    "Camera" movement/composition in Motion and finally sewn together in FCP.

7. NickFalk thread starter macrumors 6502

NickFalk

Wrong continent. You'll find the coffe in Asia.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. :)

8. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Is motion the only application that will achieve that effect?

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I remember reading about that poopy coffee. I would still like to try it someday even though I know where the beans have been.

10. NickFalk thread starter macrumors 6502

NickFalk

I guess After Effects could handle the same stuff without much of a hitch. I believe the relatively simple nature of the 3D movement (just backward/forwards, not tilting) means it could be "simulated" directly in FCP as well.

Doing it quickly with as little hassle as possible equals using Motion in my book though. :)

11. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Oh ok koo. Yeah, I was wondering because I only have FCE.

12. NickFalk thread starter macrumors 6502

NickFalk

You can achieve something similar by moving and keyframing imagery on different tracks in the timeline.

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

The animation and filming style were great. I found the computerized voice annoying to listen to after about 2 seconds though...

14. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Cute animation. :) I struggled to understand the narration though. I suppose I don't have a good ear for computer generated voice overs. Thanks for sharing this. :)

15. NickFalk thread starter macrumors 6502

NickFalk

You guys are making Stephen Hawking cry! :(

Seriously though, thanks for your feedback. I find you criticism fair and I'm aware of the "problem". Part of the thing I'm trying to do however is to succeed in being entertaining despite the dreary voice-over.

The only alternative is really my own bad Norwenglish and I'm not sure that's really preferable...