My "new" UPS looks used

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by videoed, Sep 21, 2010.

1. videoed macrumors regular

Hi,

just purchased 3 fairly beefy UPS systems for the Mac Pro editing stations soon to be setup here.

Got 3 1500VA units by APC ordered as "new" through Amazon.

Problem:

when i was going through the process of hooking up the batteries, the gate cover for the battery on the first and second units (haven't opened the third yet) look damage as if it had been opened and closed numerous times.

Also, the battery packs on the opened units have multiple scratches all over as if they had been used for years.

I immediately called APC and have emailed pictures to them, still waiting for a callback.

Wondering if anyone has comments as to whether or not this is somehow normal or expected.

Thanks,

ed

p.s.
    i chose the Mac Pro forum because I figured that Mac Pro users are the most likely to have purchased UPS

2. thaniel98 macrumors newbie

Can you tell me the first 6 characters of the serial numbers? I can tell you how old the UPS's are. If you give me the model numbers I can tell you if its even a current product. The serial will have a date code in it. numbers 3 and 4 are the year and numbers 5 and 6 are the week. IE AS0602.... reads smart-ups manufactured 2nd week of 2006. If they are more than a year old I would return them. Amazon stocks these in their own warehouses as opposed to drop shipping from APC like most resellers do. When they come from APC directly anything that is more than 6 months old gets new batteries installed before it leaves the warehouse. The lead acid batteries usually only have a shelf life of 6-12 months when they are sitting idle in storage.

If they are indeed old stock, that is not APC's fault, that is Amazons. Whether Amazon is selling returned/used UPSs is also something APC can not control. However I can say that APC will honor the warranty from the date of purchase in the event of a failure, but typically not cosmetic damage (This decision usually depends on the model and serial).

You are welcome to PM me with any specific questions

3. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

guess you will see ? my thoughts are send back :) sadly a pain for ya

hope it all gets worked out ;)

4. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

The batteries always look like that, at least they have on the many units I've used. Probably b/c they fit so tight in the compartment.

The important thing is the inspection slip. Every unit I've ever had has come with a slip taped on. Looks like a store receipt but has all the inspection info, including date, etc.

Lastly, one of the wires should be disconnected from the battery when you get it.

5. videoed thread starter macrumors regular

thanks all for the response.

device info:
    BR1500LCD
    3B1031X37374

still waiting on the callback

6. thaniel98 macrumors newbie

That serial is about as new as you will get, roughly July 2010 was the manufacture date.

The internal batteries having some scratches on them is completely normal. They are tested at the factory, the compartments are a tight fit, and after being on several trucks moving through distribution its not uncommon to see scratches on the batteries due to vibration. You should not see much on the outside of the UPS casing.

I sent you a PM with some contact info. If you would like me to push your case up the ladder I can.

7. videoed thread starter macrumors regular

I think my concerns are starting to wane, thank you very much for your help