My New Website: Advice and What you Think!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by andreab35, Feb 25, 2009.

1. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Hey Guys!

I just designed myself a new website for some off the side computer services since I do quite a bit for people.

I just wanted your opinion and what you thought about it. I'm not completely finished yet... so some places around the website are done half.

I built the site through Site Builder from Hostgator.com

The link is in my signature.

Thank you! :)

www.armengrecotech.com

2. mik34 macrumors member

What link?

3. andreab35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Sorry! I put the url up on the main post. I'm gonna go put in my signature now.
    Sorry! :eek:

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

design is nice and friendly but ...
    the font size is a bit on the small side for easy reading. Compounded to some extent by the variable width of the text area - i'm a wide browser window guy, and having the text line stretched out that far makes it harder to read (more so at that size).

Also not sure about having the secondary navigation over on the right, especially as it's not present on every page. It took me a second read through of the Services text before I even looked over there to see it.

..and, it's a minor thing, but separating the links with >> makes them look like breadcrumb links, as though those pages are all nested inside one another, rather than independent sections of the site

5. daustin macrumors member

I can't give you too much advice about the design of the site as a whole, that's not really my thing, but you might want to rethink your logo. It looks like you just took the Atari logo and smashed it a bit. Just my two cents!

6. torndownunit macrumors regular

Since I am not even half the coder/designer most of the people are on this forum I can't offer a ton of input.

I agree with frankblundt's points, especially regarding the navigation. And I definitely agree with daustin's point 100%. That REALLY looks like the Atari logo.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

1) Change the logo... I don't think Atari would approve.

2) The navigation isn't great considering the sub menu link are not where near the main menu (specifically on services).

3) It's not a good idea to use image content from others' sites, either make it yourself or you can very cheaply from iStockphoto.

4) The repetitive image of the pacman beating the computer is useless.

5) The site doesn't really say "professional service" which is unfortunate. Generally the site is the first point of contact and the branding needs to reinforce what you do is a professional quality service.

8. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I would definitely recommend more content on your index page. Also, make the text formatting for your index and contact page consistent with the rest of your site :)

Also, is it restricted to certain locations? If I live in Australia can you come set up my computer for $99?

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sorry to be so brutal but I think the colors are awful. I'm also very turned off by that animated .gif; it screams amateur.

10. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I'm going to be brutally honest as well...

It's quite obvious (to me at least) that you used a template. Before I even read your post, I clicked on the link and immediately recognized it as a template. It's almost like those that you see when you misspell a URL and it sends you to that generic page that's trying to sell you something! (like aple.com but not quite as bad). See if there's a template that you might look more professional and not quite as template-ish.

And the GIF is fuzzy and unprofessional.

Finally, proofread!
    Edit - I just looked through your services page, and for someone who offers "advanced website design" you should really make the entire site from scratch.