Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Which is not compatible with IE yet .. still trying to get it to run on my Core Duo iMac via Wine and IEs4linux.

shrimpdesign

But anyways, it's a simple site, all the website sections are driven by PHP and MySQL. I wanted to make it as simple as possible.

I've been messing with the front page, and it feels too busy to me. Any ideas?

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Nice stuff. Personally I find the "recent" stuff on your home page confusing. I had to poke around a little to find out there was more to your site. To the same point I dont like when items are posted more than once on a site. Perhaps a nice opening page that displays some work that most describes yourself as a whole and then people can explore for more if they are intrigued.

Just my opinions of course.
good work.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
The front page is far too busy, other than that, I like it.

Try a flat black, grey, or white on the front, then arrange the white boxes 2 to a line, instead of having them all run down the centre of the page.

Keep the graphite and black diagonal line pattern on the boxes themselves.

And the Portfolio, About etc 'box' - try and make it so it fills that 'section' of space in between the graphite diagonal lines, and your logo.

By the way, I love 3 of your backgrounds, really really nice.

Its a nice site, with a little tweaking to be done.. practice makes perfect :)

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
You know, at first I was going to have my homepage default to my portfolio, but then I think I decided to make a homepage with all the recent stuff because I *could* .. which is never a good reason to do anything (especially with Photoshop filters, but I digress ... )

Anyways, I agree with you. I think my homepage will default to my portfolio until I can figure out what to do with it.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
josh.thomas said:
Try a flat black, grey, or white on the front, then arrange the white boxes 2 to a line, instead of having them all run down the centre of the page.
Nah, I'll just scrap it .. I think I agree with freeny, repeating content is silly.

josh.thomas said:
Keep the graphite and black diagonal line pattern on the boxes themselves.

And the Portfolio, About etc 'box' - try and make it so it fills that 'section' of space in between the graphite diagonal lines, and your logo.
Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean ... let's give the elements specific names if you're going to be referring to them. The "header" is the word "shrimpdesign" at the top of the page. The "nav" is the links to each page (portfolio, desktops, blog, about). And the gray box with stripes that is 100% wide is the "titles". Maybe with some specific terms you can tell me what you think about my website :D

josh.thomas said:
By the way, I love 3 of your backgrounds, really really nice.

Its a nice site, with a little tweaking to be done.. practice makes perfect :)
Thank you, I hope you enjoy them if you download them :D

I am a neurotic tweaking designer. I have redesigned my site 3 TIMES this year. AhhhhHH!! Hopefully this one will last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.