My newest addition to my colllection

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by LordOfTheMacs, Dec 30, 2008.

1. LordOfTheMacs macrumors member

Happy Holidays, everyone! I just wanted to share with you my collection of macs and iPods and the newest member of my collection.

1 ipod mini 4gig silver (hand-me-down, backup ipod)
    1 ipod shuffle 2nd gen 1 gig silver (xmas,probably will sell on eBay)
    1 ipod touch original 8gig with 2.2 running (random day, main ipod,)

1 iMac G5 1.8,160gb hdd, 512megs of RAM, 10.4.11 (my b-day, main mac,)

For christmas, I recieved an iBook G3 clamshell (Indigo,366,10gb hdd, 320 megs of ram). It is currently running server 10.4.11 and has a custom outfitted dvd-rom drive. For e-mail, word, itunes and the web, it works great.
    I would guess it was a 2003-04 computer, not a 2000 one.

2. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

3. LordOfTheMacs thread starter macrumors member

typing on it! Will try to post pic but not good with a camera.:D

4. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

The clamshell ibooks are some of the coolest Macs that Apple made so that's a really sweet present. In todays world of multi ghz, multi core cpu's, people forget that a low end G3 is often more then capable of dealing with light browsing and work.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Web browsing on a clamshell is actually not very fun at all. The 800x600 screen means you have to sidescroll EVERYTHING, and since they only have 1 RAM slot, putting enough RAM in it can be expensive. My clamshell is 366 with 320mb of RAM, and running just Mac OS and Safari eats every last bit of it.

6. LordOfTheMacs thread starter macrumors member

Hrududu, I don't think side-scrolling is something to whine about. We suck it up on our touches.;)I personally find 320 megs of ram and a 10 gb hdd bearable and usable on tiger. With office 2008 installed I have 2.25 gigs left on my hdd. Maybe that MacPro is spoiling you bit tome with my modest requirements it's great. To each his own, but I have to go with Rodus on that one.:):apple:

7. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

The G3 clamshell is a unique little computer, I love mine. I have found for the best experience a downgrade to 10.3.9 is preferable to 10.4.11 particularly with only 320MB RAM. I have also found Camino to be the fastest browser, particularly when flash and ads are turned off in preferences. The 800x600 screen is a pain, particularly if one is used to the two finger scrolling on modern Mac portables.

8. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^I agree that X.3.9 is the way to go on low end machines. 800X600 seems constrictive but as has been said, surfing on the iPod Touch is way more painful then a clamshell. I still have an iMac 233 mhz 256 MB in regular use and for light browsing with Camino it's ok, as long as you turn off flash. The OP's iBook would be much faster for web work.
    The clamshells are also one of the best Macs for holding their value, the going prices on ebay are still very high for such an old machine, a testament to its unique desirability.

9. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Tiger rules on those old Macs. I think panther would be okay, but NEVER install 10.2 <--- BAD!

10. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^Yeah, anything under 10.3 is pretty much beta software, Tiger is supposedly more responsive on any machine due to more streamlined coding but I've tried it vs panther on my B&W G3 400 mhz and with any less then 512 megs of ram I've found Panther to be better.

11. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Actually I've had my Clamshell since 2003 and still use it almost daily. I'm just saying that if I were to do it over again, I would have held out for a 466MHz model and upped the RAM to 576. Every little bit counts. Trust me, after a while you'll start to notice its age. I still use my 233MHz Powerbook as well, and I much prefer its 14.1" screen with 1024x768 over the dim little 12" in the iBook. As far as having to sidescroll on the iPod touch, I wouldn't know since I'm still using my "modest" old 3rd gen iPod, so perhaps I'm not quite as "spoiled" as you may think. I'm still waiting on that Mac Pro though. :D

12. LordOfTheMacs thread starter macrumors member

I meant the macbook pro, and I notice my clamshell is no macbook, what with choppy youtube and having to wait a minute or two for Tiger to load up:D. I am happy with it and would be delighted to say the same next December. Eventually, I will replace it with something much newer. BTW: I was just messing with you, dude. Noooooooooooo harm intended! Iv'e been thinking about potentialy upgrading the RAM to 576 megs. Will that speed things up and help youtube?

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

It might, but I think most of it has to do with the processor being able to render the flash files. Even my 450MHz G3 with 1Gb of RAM still can't really cut through youtube that well. If you wait until the movie loads entirely before playing, its a little better. I've been looking at getting a 512Mb stick for mine too. There have been some pretty good deals on ebay for PC133 sicks of 512Mb. Unfortunately my audio is fried and the battery is dead so I'm a little hesitant to spend more money on this machine. I agree with the previous posters about running 10.3 instead of 10.4 for a little nicer experience. I just recently put 10.4 back on mine though. The newer versions of Safari, Mail, and other updates just made it worth it I guess.

14. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^If you haven't already then I'd suggest overclocking the B&W G3's you'll probably only get an extra 50 mhz but it can still make quite a difference on sites like youtube.

15. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

For a long time I had it overclocked from 350 to 400MHz, then I got an actual 450MHz processor put in it a few years back. I can't get it to run at 500MHz very well for some reason. I've gotten it to boot a few times, but for some reason the jump from 450 to 500MHz just doesn't seem to be an option.