My Next Everyday Bag For The Next 4 Years. Please Help Me Decide.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Mar 19, 2011.

?

Which Bag for the everyday? 4rm College to a Friends Place, to even the Mall and Park

1. InCase Sling 15inch Water Resistant in Black ($79)

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Mozetto Leather for $200+

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. STM Alley Bag (Price not Known)

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. STM Vertical Bag (Price not Known)

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've been using my InCase Sling Backpack for these past four years though its time to upgrade. I'm currently in China and this backpack has been taken a beating.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/original-sling-pack-cl55026fr

I love the look, though its functionality is somewhat limited. Whenever I need to grab something from my InCase Sling, its cumbersome to do so, considering I gotta twist the whole bag around from my back to my chest, considering I don't want to take it off completely (or can't take it off completely). Using this for the past 4 years has done a small number on my left shoulder; feeling constant restraint at all times, even when not using the bag itself.

Normally I carry around my 13 inch MacBook Pro..and other little things, whether it be school books, my iPad, and other little things..like iPod, chapstick, car keys, flip HD, camera etc. Of course, I want easy access to it all when i'm out in the streets running about.

I was thinking about grabbing the updated InCase sling, considering its smaller size from 17 to 15 inches..with the added benefit of it being water/rain resistant. Though having the same bag wouldn't benefit my shoulder problems and easy access dilemma.

1. http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/nylon-sling-pack-cl55336

SF-Bags has the Muzetto, which is a really really really nice bag. Seems like a better way to go, despite the heavy price tag. I highly doubt its water/rain resistant, but seems easy access...though it seems to lack an array of compartments for my various little knick knacks for my on the go lifestyle.

2. http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

Finally, STM has been on my radar lately. I see their ads in MacWorld and I love all their compartments on the inside. Obviously I doubt their water/rain resistant, but I just simply don't know that I decided to ask the community.

3. http://www.stmbags.com.au/catalog/laptop-shoulder-bags/alley-small-laptop-shoulder-bag/

4. http://www.stmbags.com.au/catalog/laptop-shoulder-bags/vertical-small-laptop-shoulder-bag/

Even if its only a small piece of advice it'll definitely persuade my decision.

As I mentioned, I'm currently using my InCase which is perhaps on its final run here in China. I'll do my best to take her back w/ me to the states, if she fares well. But I will be needing a bag for college and for the everyday, considering I never ever leave the door without my bag (which usually contains my Mac or iPad).

2. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

Hi,

If it is for college, you will probably carry heavy books and notebooks with your laptop, so I would really recommend avoid shoulder bags and go with a backpack which will be better for your shoulder.

However, if you really want a shoulder bag, the STM one looks nice and easily accessible and I bet it's less expensive than the SF (do you really need to spend 200+ on a bag?).

3. lurrego macrumors member

consider a Filson bag, durable, will last you for YEARS and they look great

4. knwctrl macrumors newbie

the stm bags are both nice. personally i like the convoy backpack on the same site. but if you're set on those four choices i would go with one of those two.

5. gymacscuba macrumors newbie

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I know it is not one on your list, but I nominate Chrome bags for the list. They make some really heavy duty bags. I got one of their messenger bags and then got a small protective sleeve and carried my books and computer in mine all throughout school. I also used it to commute back and forth to work on my bike. I would give them a look as mine is several years old and still looks and functions like when I bought it. Functional and durable.

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/artificial-intelligence-15-computer-sleeve.aspx

This one looks nice, and looks like it would last too. Thank you for the recs, I now gotta keep researching this matter..I thought it would be so simple.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/laptop-bags/soma.html - Very nice.

I really like this one, though it seems to posed the same dillima as my current InCase, it being not easily being able to open it when i'm out on the go. Many times I want quick and easy access...

Considering I'm really tired of carrying anything in my pockets; including cell phone and wallet.

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The neat thing about the Chrome, and what I love about it is the quick release buckle (it has the Black bird on it with the red background and can be seen in the picture). It is like a seatbelt buckle from a 70's car. The center button pushes to release and just pushes together to latch, which makes it super easy to get on and off (unlike other messenger bags that have to be "climbed" into). You also have the ability to loosen and tighten to allow it to be turned around easily while still wearing to get into the bag without removing (as it loosens and tightens just like the car seatbelts from the 70's). The bag also has a one piece sealed poly lining so it is truly waterproof, not just resistant. The bags are like a tank. Try your local bike shops to see if they carry them (as some of the better ones do) to try before you buy if you are reluctant. The canvas makes them super durable too.

ANd I know you said you are in China, but these bags are designed and built in the gold ole USA in San Fran, so if you are back in the area, take a weekend trip.

9. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Oh I def. will! You've got me intrigued. I'm already compliing a list of places to hit up when I got back home. I applied to UC Berkeley and am dying to get in.

Here's to hoping San Fran becomes my next home!

10. maxjg macrumors member

Yep. Maybe look into getting an Incase backpack? I have one (an older model), it's awesome (I switched from a sling, much prefer backpack style).

11. entatlrg, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I'm in the same position you are.... Don't like carrying anything in my pockets and never leave home without my MacBook Air and/ or iPad. *

Backpacks are deep and harder to get into and find things fast, but are nice to carry, not so good as an everyday catch all bag though, seem more suitable for longer trips or larger loads. *

Then when you get into the muzetto style bags, they're vertical and slim. Hard to get things in and out because it's narrow and deep, without many pockets, not ideal for accessing your gadgets. *Lastly with a muzzetto style bag you're getting into the 'man bag', purse look.

A better bag for easy access is a horizontal style with ample pockets for gadgets. *Something like a Timbuktu small or medium messenger bag. Downside of shoulder bags are they bounce around on your hip when you walk. And if it's hot the strap across you chest all day is bothersome.

A combo backpack/messenger with horizontal opening would be the best. *They are hard to find. I did find one and bought bit. *Works very well, I switch between and a small Timbuktu messenger.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_luggage/business_bags/Global-Commuter-20246/

For a nice backpack I have one made by Piel Leather, traditional model.

Hope that helps. post back what you end up buying.*

12. Radex macrumors member

13. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

My goodness, you are like a buddha speaking from beyond the grave.

I do indeed leave my home back in the states without my current InCase, with my MBP and (sometimes) and/or iPad. I began this thread due to starting university back home this fall..though began the thread this early on seeing as I'm in China and have a bit of downtime from time to time.

For the most part, I hardly carry books, though the times I do my InCase is only big enough for one textbook..and + my Mac, its bulky and heavy. But i've put up with it for years, resulting in a cramped shoulder.

I completely agree with you concerning the Mozetto bag. I truly believe I've held onto my InCase sling for the past 4 years purposefully not wanting convert to a Man-Bag. I remember when I first got my iPad, over at the iPad section of MacRumors seeing the "A Manly Thread: iPad Bags for Men.." Thread and thinking to myself that there is no way I was gonna get sucked in.

On the next note, I completed agree with you about messenger style bags swinging back and forth when walking..especially when running in the mornings. This is why i've enjoyed my InCase sling. Sure, it bounces up and down kinda heavily when running to catch a taxi here in China...or when in a hurry to clock in on at time at work back home..though ive always thought that fared better than a messenger bag.

The STM bags appeal to me because of their compartments..and the price..but i just don't know.

I think ultimately my decision will be made when I actually get a chance to actually hold each one of them back in the states...or in Beijing.

BTW, as for my iPad, not wanting a man-bag or 10inch messenger purse, I opted for the Griffin Passport Elan; resembling a portfolio..got the job done back in the states and would either walk out the door with it, or throw it in my InCase: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-passport-ipad

14. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Try Google Crumbler. They have some nice shoulder bags.

15. finchwizard macrumors member

finchwizard

I have the STM Alley for my 15" and think it's great.

It's slim no fuss, just good for the few items I carry.
    I wanted something that wasn't massive.

I probably would have gone the Alley for the extra little bit of room, and the padded part for laptop and iPad but they didn't have it in stock at the time.

16. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

May I ask you how many sheckles you had to take outta your pocket for it? The site doesn't list prices. Also, i'm assuming you purchased it at a store and fiddled around with them before committing?

17. David-fr macrumors 6502

Rickshaw Bagworks the best bags made in San Francisco!

Check out the Commuter 2.0 search YouTube for videos

18. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm in China for 2 months, I can't go on YouTube!!! :eek::eek::eek::)

19. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Belstaff 554 shoulder bag. Been using for more than a year and works great. Looks great too. Pricey though.

20. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

$400 is way outta my price range. Nice looking bag though.:)

21. David-fr macrumors 6502

Google them they have vimeo videos on their site, I tell you best bags! U can choose colors and all because they make then they can customize it at your taste

22. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Vimeo seems to be blocked as well here. Either way, I looked up their site and enjoy the variety. The prices aren't too high, and am considering my next bag purchase as an investment.

23. finchwizard macrumors member

finchwizard

$85 for the Alley and the Vertical was $90 something. They were the Medium sizes for 15" laptops. And the site wasn't exactly the cheapest either so you could probably pick them up for bit cheaper again.

That's AU prices btw.

24. DoctaKrafty macrumors newbie

25. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I just opened a thread on a similar subject.

I am also looking for the ultimate bag to last me for some years. I am deciding between these two:

1) Booq Mamba Shift L
    2) Tom Bihn Smart Alec