My niece is off to college in the Fall; advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by evillageprowler, May 27, 2008.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

Hi,

My niece is going to American University this Fall. Like her favorite uncle, she favors Apple. She wants a new iPod, and of course prefers the uber-cool IPT. She also wants a MB.

I am interested in knowing of Apple's past back-to-school offerings. I also am interested in knowing any opinion regarding buying now or waiting (due to back-to-school sales, upgrades, etc.). I have a friend who is looking to sell his extremely minimally (and nearly perfect but for a few scratches on the back) used 16G IPT for $300. I offered this to my niece.

Also, does anyone here have any specific knowledge of AU's campus network pertinent to this thread? My sister will likely force me to help my niece move in and possibly set up a small network using an Airport/TC or something equivalent from a different vendor.

TIA,

EVP

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Your niece sounds like she's already making good choices :)

I think the Touch sounds like a good deal. Apple offers educational discounts, so if you can wait until your niece gets hers, you'll save a few hundred dollars.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If you could wait a bit on the MB and could purchase it in the US, there is usually a tax holiday in late July/early August on school items such as computers. This is usually one of the best deals that you can get on a brand new Apple laptop but I don't know where you are coming from and don't know if you could make it to the US for a day to get a laptop. I also don't know what the date will be for it this year but I'm sure you could look it up. Hope this helps. Good luck.

4. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses.

AU has an Apple discount. I also get an EPP discount. Either way, she's covered. But, I hear that in past years there've been really good back-to-school discounts offered by Apple. Any info on this?

Also, we live in the US. I'll keep the tax holiday thing in mind -- though I've never heard of it until now.

EVP

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would check with AU to see about the set up in the dorms. I visited several colleges since January with my daughter, and most had wireless networks in the dorms.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

They usually do a free iPod when you buy a mac. Here's last years:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...oa/wa/RSLID?mco=MjgzNzI&nclm=BackToSchool2007

7. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Check to see if the dorms even allow personal wireless devices. If they don't and you set one up, they'll shut off her port.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yeah, most colleges don't allow them. I know mine doesn't. Just about all colleges have wifi now so it doesn't matter anyways.