Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
The pictures are great!

How do you get the background all blurry like that? Do you need a tripod?
You either open up the aperture, decrease the distance between you and the subject, or increase the distance between the subject and the background (all three work too). At f/2, this lens is going to give you some nice bokeh.

Nice shots. Shots of people are one of my weak points, and you've made me envious! :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I didn't notice originally that you don't have a monopod attached. That's crazy. No wonder other people have trouble shooting with it. Shooting for more than 5 minutes would definitely be a tad straining.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
The pictures are great!

How do you get the background all blurry like that? Do you need a tripod?

Quite the opposite. The blurred background is a byproduct of a large aperture, which allows shooting at very high shutter speeds; negating the need for a tripod.

I was wondering that too.. What a BIG difference when viewing in Safari compared to FireFox!!

Just use this to enable color managed Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891

I didn't notice originally that you don't have a monopod attached. That's crazy. No wonder other people have trouble shooting with it. Shooting for more than 5 minutes would definitely be a tad straining.

I'm pretty strong (used to seriously weight train) and I was *sore* after 2 hours of running around with it in my hands. I would have used a monopod if I had one, but I don't and a tripod wouldn't work for what I was doing so my arms were my support.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
By god I envie you... I had a choice 300 2.8 AF-S VR or 200 2.0 AF-S VR or MBP my sig shows which i chose but sitll i would Love that lens.
Great shots mate...
I ll just stick with my 300 2.8 MF :(
Hehe n1

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Thought I'd share a few with you guys. I'll edit it as I finish importing my shots.

I've been shooting with the 200mm f/2.0 VR for the last few hours and I'm loving it. I'm a big lens noob and have only used it for a few hours, so be gentle :) I handheld it for about 4 hours straight and my 80-200mm felt like a 50mm prime in comparison (which was actually sort of nice when I switched lenses).

All shots are shot wide open at f/2. Please view in Safari or set color management to on in Firefox possible because the images are color managed and lose saturation and vibrancy when viewed in an unmanaged browser.

First 2 and last are ISO200, next two are ISO3200. The lens is meant for shooting high school basketball in a very dark gym. All bokeh is completely natural.

Very nice photos indeed. I read many of the post responses and I have to say, I really don't care if it is the "best" lens ever etc etc etc. It simply does excellent work and is a lens for specialty work that delivers.

Just two additional comments -

1) the 3rd photo shows where a lens should be stopped down a bit as the person in the foreground is too blurry to the point of distraction. While the lens wide open is great for gathering light and autofocus, it is not the only aperture usable in that situation.

2) As for the guy who said you can get the entire Israeli Army with that lens - watch it! Yes my mother wore army boots and in that* army. <grin>

Cheers

- Phrehdd

Semprasectum

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2009
Nebraska
Great lens

I have used this lens almost exclusively during the past 2 1/2 years shooting VB and BB. There is NOTHING I would consider using in 99% of the HS gyms I shoot in.

I would like to make a suggestion for anyone not wanting to use a monopod-they are unwieldy and clumsy during a BB or VB contest. Buy one of those 6 inch tri-pods and attach it on the lens and use this as the support for your hand to aim the camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59316697@N06/

This is a great lens, and IMO, better than the 300 2.8, athough I do use the 300 for some track meets. Indoor gymnasiums are the reason this lens was created.

Last edited:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The 200f/2 is about 4k.

The Nikon D300.

Hah, Margo was just mad that she couldn't shoot with it very well.

She handled it about as well as Thai
n1586040135_30100587_8466.jpg

Everyone wants to play with the big lens, but nobody can hold it :D

nice shots! and nice lens - very massive to say the least.

this makes me think of the time my wife and i were watching an NFL game. She commented that it would be neat to win tickets to the superbowl.

I told her it would be even better to win a contest to ANY NFL game to be an end zone photographer for a day. Can you imagine the fun? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.