My Nikon setup. Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Razeus, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

Since my 50D gear was stolen last week, this week I'm purchasing new gear, going with Nikon

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8
    Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
    Nikkor 24mm f/2.8

Nikkor 135mm will be had at a latter date as I save up for it.

Thoughts?

2. acp51 macrumors newbie

Nikon Setup

Hey Razeus,

Have read great things about the D7000, I think you will be happy there, although to be fair the 60D is getting great reviews as well, but hey I am a Nikon man so welcome!:)

I have the 50, 85, and 35. I love them all. the 35mm is an astounding lens for the price tag. I recently moved up to FX, so I need to get rid of the 35mm as I no longer use it. Still love my 85mm, last to shoots I did, used it almost exclusively! The 50mm is great as well, I don't use it as much as I should, I tend to use my zooms (Nikon 17-35 f/2.8, 28-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 VRI).

3. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

Welcome to the Nikon camp! :D

I'm in Japan right now and shoot 95% of my photos with just the 35mm. (I use a Nikon D90)

Which version of the 24mm is it? I have been looking for something smaller to take around instead of my Tokina 11-16mm.

4. York-Diuck macrumors member

York-Diuck

I like all your choices except the 24mm 2.8, which I don't think is wide enough on a cropped sensor body, like the D7000. This translates to around 37mm. Although more expensive, the 20mm 2.8 is a better wide angle choice if you are set on buying FX primes for your DX body. On DX body its around 28mm, which is closer to what the 24mm would be on an FX body. I think in most situations, you'll just end up using the 35mm 1.8 instead. I know I do.

Enjoy your new body ;)

5. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

being wide is not my concern. :rolleyes: 90% of my shots will be street photography.

The AF NIKKOR 24mm f/2.8D is the exact model number I'm looking at, but I may just opt for the 35mm and forgo the 24mm altogether.

6. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

Just Curious,

What is your budget for the D7000? And what is your total budget across the board for this re-investment (Body, Lenses, Flash)???

7. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

$2000

I've decided I'm not going to use flash and stay with natural lighting in whatever environment said light will come in.

I've chosen only to use prime lenses.

8. York-Diuck macrumors member

York-Diuck

if your are just going to do street photography, I would just leave the 24mm then. The 35mm 1.8 or 50 1.8 will cover most street situations. Especially since the 24mm is not that cheap.

You can pick-up cheap flashes used for off camera work. I bought two SB-25s off craigslist and they were $110 total. Both work well and I just attach them to cybersyncs. Flashes are useful in all situations.

9. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

That's what I'm thinking. 35mm, 50mm and 85mm should cover it. I don't mind getting in people's faces.

10. BouncerBoy macrumors newbie

I think if you need to ask people in a forum (that are not even close to understanding what it is you really want to do with your gear) then you really don't know what it is that you really want and are just purchasing gear based on what others have been buying, think is cool, bragging rights or trying to keep up with fad/society. Similar to asking people in the forum if you should buy a high-end Mac Pro without them knowing that all you want to do is surf the web.

" If you need something you'll know and won't need to ask."

Just my $.02

11. gameface macrumors 6502

Good riddance, we didn't want you playing for our team anyway. :p

7D guy here. :D

12. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Alternative View

If you are doing street photography why not get a fast zoom, 24-70 mm and forgo all those lenses in one bag. The camera has good low light capability, but you would get a couple more stops with the D700 and would be much wider at 24mm.

Sticking with the line-up above the 50mm f/1.4 would give you slightly more light and the 24mm is not the best prime. You could of course rob a bank and get the 24mm f1/4!

13. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Oh really? What do you suppose I do for the 85mm...

What do you suppose I do when I need to suck in more light than what f/2.8 gives?

There's a reason for me using primes. People using zooms can't possibly be doing serious photography.

Genius,

If you had read through the thread, I've stated that 90% is street photography. In addition, obviously the lenses can be used for other purposes if I so choose.

Regards,

Raz

Let the flame wars begins. D7000 > 7D and for much cheaper with the same and better features.

14. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Regarding the necessity of the 24 mm, I think it's a matter of taste. I actually kinda like this focal length for street photography, e. g. candid shots in the subway. 28 mm equivalent is too wide, 50 mm equivalent too long, 35 mm equivalent is very often just right.

But YMMV. If I were doing street photography, I'd probably forgo the 80 mm now and get the 24 mm instead.

15. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

RE: Budget $2000....

Have you considered a D300s instead of the D7000? Are you considering buying Used, instead of paying the premium of New? If you take into consideration buying Used, you can save a quite a bit of $$$, and spread your monies out more, than buying New gear. :p

There are a couple of D300's running on the FM B&S Board, for between $1050 & $1200: Link- http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/search.php

Just a thought/ suggestion.

16. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Whoa...! I was all with you until that comment. I won't even bother to explain how silly and wrong that is... :cool:

17. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

That's a dangerous generalization there...

If you want to stick to primes that's fine. Honestly you might want to consider keeping the 20 or 24mm in the mix, 35mm on DX is still just "normal perspective" photography and it might be nice to go a bit wider every now and then. I'd almost say if you have to pick 3 of your stated 4, I'd go with the 24/35/50 vs the 35/50/85. It'd be more like having a wide/normal/tele vs. a normal and 2 teles.

Your original statement of a future 135mm may be a little long for many circumstances, considering the DX platform.

Ruahrc

18. avro707, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

avro707 macrumors 6502a

I don't think that comment is serious. (or at least, I hope it isn't). :)

When you look at all the pro-photographers that do use zooms of some sort or another, eg 14-24 F/2.8G, 70-200mm F/2.8G, 24-70 F/2.8G, 200-400mm F/4.0G (eg - the great Camilo Villegas image in NikonPro magazine 12/10 issue, taken with 200-400mm Zoom-Nikkor).

And lets look at a NPS Member, Arne Hodalič:

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/members/arne_hodalic/

He's got all three of the almost mandatory F/2.8 Zoom-Nikkors (14-24, 24-70, 70-200). Or Bill Frakes, another famous one. They are pretty serious about their photography. :)

I wonder if the 135mm is the right choice for DX. That's an FX lens I think. You might want to carefully consider the lenses you buy now, in case you upgrade to FX in the future.

I'm a long time Nikon stalwart myself, so welcome to the family. :) I've got two FX bodies, a DX and a whole stack of FX lenses and one SB-900 (so far).

19. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

20. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Haha... good, because I was going to have to get rid of all my f/2.8 glass and just shoot with my nifty-fifty and old 300f/4 whenever I was trying to do serious photography... and that would have really cramped my style. ;)

21. TheReef, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I'll tell you what I really enjoy limiting myself with a single long prime sometimes, it forces me to think differently about the shot, and zoom with my feet, where normally I'd be too lazy :p

Razeus, that 135mm could be really interesting in producing streetscapes with the 'layered' look.

22. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Actually, me too. Sometimes I deliberately leave the obvious lenses at home, and go with both primes just to stretch the old creativity cap. There's no doubt having too much focal length option at a twist can tend to distract me and I do love prime shooting... but not because I get better technical image quality, but because it gets me back into a more deliberate style of shooting. However, when shooting sports, I'll use a long prime lens part of the time for certain types of shots, but the flexibility of a fast tele-zoom is almost required, unless you carry three bodies.

23. BouncerBoy macrumors newbie

Razeus - Call me a genius?!?! If you don't know what to do with the 85mm (as per your reply to SSMED) then maybe you shouldn't be buying. I don't understand whyt people make this a big issue. Why don't you rent a lens from the various lens rental businesses out there and try the 50mm. If you think you need something wider then buy the 35mm based off your experience with the rental. What you are trying to do is get everybody's opinion in the forum so that you can buy the what people THINK is best for you and not what YOU think is best for yourself. What are you worried about? Think about it, have you ever heard a professional ask another person what they think he should buy? In case you don't know the answer it is NO, because based off their experience , they know what equipment they need to get the job done. The are more concerned with what they need rather than what people will think about their gear. Reality check!!! I hope this is not how you handle family decisions. I don't know if there is a forum for that....Tsk...tsk...tsk...:D

24. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

:rolleyes:

Ummm, yes, I do. Professionals discuss their opinions on products all the time. I'm pretty sure most started out copying the lenses of other people that did their type of photography. I'm pretty sure an aspiring wildlife photog ask his peer/mentor what type of lens they use and begin that he's starting out, probably asked for a cheaper version of said lens that got the job done until he could afford an "L" type lens.

I discuss with close friends family situations all the time (dads that have sons) and get their opinon and they ask for mine.

That's how people work. I believe that's how humans have progressed this far: by asking others who've had the experience already and pass it down to those without the knowledge. But forgive me for being human and asking questions for I'm not the all powerful, all knowing god that you are.

25. wilhelmreems macrumors member

Razeus,

24 f/2.8
    I've got the 24 2.8 and i'm not a huge fan of it. On my d300s it is just not wide enough for me and i don't use it as often as possible. Typically i end up using my 18-200 to get the wide angles i need.

50 f/1.8

I use this one a lot. It's my default lens, always on my camera. One thing i don't like about it: tendency to hunt for focus in lower light and darker colors. shotting wide open tends to be a little soft, but i shoot in RAW so I can sharpen up the images if i have to.

I'm actually caught in between getting a 35mm and a flash or going for the sigma 24-70mm. I'd love to have that 35mm, but at the same time, when i travel i don't want a lot of gear holding me back.

I do agree with you that all a photographer needs is a fast prime to get their shots, and a fixed perspective really forces you to think about your subject while a giant telephoto tends to keep your feet planted. But a short range zoom lens shouldn't really be ignored as an option. If you've got experience and know about perspective and composition, a zoom shouldn't hinder you at all.

good luck, hope what you end up getting does the job for you.