Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Great read.

I want to know one thing: what would you change?

Thanks!

What do you mean? What would I change if... (what comes after the "if")? ... if I had to do it all over again? ... if I was CEO of Apple? ... if I was a demigod mod of this forum? ...if I could live my life over again? :p :confused:

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks!

What do you mean? What would I change if... (what comes after the "if")? ... if I had to do it all over again? ... if I was CEO of Apple? ... if I was a demigod mod of this forum? ...if I could live my life over again? :p :confused:

I guess if you had to order again...

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Thanks!

Yeah, all of that could be interesting.

But my (vague) question was about the nMP: what would you change about it that would make it even better for you?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, all of that could be interesting.

But my (vague) question was about the nMP: what would you change about it that would make it even better for you?

I see, there's nothing I would change about the nMP. My wish now is for a 4K display for that added desktop real-estate and an upgrade to Aperture to include some much needed features and perhaps some optimizations to take advantage of the GPUs although it seems pretty snappy as it is.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I see, there's nothing I would change about the nMP. My wish now is for a 4K display for that added desktop real-estate and an upgrade to Aperture to include some much needed features and perhaps some optimizations to take advantage of the GPUs although it seems pretty snappy as it is.

Yes to Aperture update!

My wishlist:
1. OpenCL Dual GPU support
2. Build-in lens profile correction and probably a method to add you own lens profile (cause there's sooo many legacy lenses being used with mirrorless camera these days)
3. Plugin works like Adjustments, meaning it doesn't create a duplicate, you can turn it off if you don't like it and you're still editing in a non-destructive environment.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Yes to Aperture update!

My wishlist:
1. OpenCL Dual GPU support
2. Build-in lens profile correction and probably a method to add you own lens profile (cause there's sooo many legacy lenses being used with mirrorless camera these days)
3. Plugin works like Adjustments, meaning it doesn't create a duplicate, you can turn it off if you don't like it and you're still editing in a non-destructive environment.

Amen to that. Add some decent noise reduction and the ability to make adjustments on tonal selections, and I'm like a pig in mud! :)

mikepj

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
Amen to that. Add some decent noise reduction and the ability to make adjustments on tonal selections, and I'm like a pig in mud! :)

Better noise reduction and built-in lens corrections are at the top of my wish list too. I also think Apple needs to work on improving their RAW processing. With default settings and no adjustments, RAW images processed by Lightroom are so much cleaner than Aperture.

If I could stand the organization style of Lightroom, I would have switched a long time ago. Lightroom is just so much better at "developing" photos.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Better noise reduction and built-in lens corrections are at the top of my wish list too. I also think Apple needs to work on improving their RAW processing. With default settings and no adjustments, RAW images processed by Lightroom are so much cleaner than Aperture.

If I could stand the organization style of Lightroom, I would have switched a long time ago. Lightroom is just so much better at "developing" photos.

That's interesting... I compared Aperture, Lightroom, and Capture One some time back and came away thinking Capture One had the best RAW processing, and Lightroom was ok (at least to my taste with my 5D3 files). I guess it's all rather subjective and may even depend on your camera or brand as to how well each program deals with the RAW data.

mikepj

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
That's interesting... I compared Aperture, Lightroom, and Capture One some time back and came away thinking Capture One had the best RAW processing, and Lightroom was ok (at least to my taste with my 5D3 files). I guess it's all rather subjective and may even depend on your camera or brand as to how well each program deals with the RAW data.

I haven't tried Capture One, but I notice a big difference between Lightroom and Aperture with my 5D Mark II. Back when I was using a 450D, the difference wasn't as noticeable, so you are probably right that it can vary by camera model.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003

Aperture will never see it's full potential, because they can't tread too closely on Adobe's toes, and they also really don't understand professional workflows. It will always be close to Lightroom, but never beat it, which is a bit sad.

Aperture may also suffer the fate of many of Apple's other software projects. The tend to forget about them (or lobotomize them coughFCXcough).

So.. in LR I trust...

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Why can't Apple "tread too closely on Adobe's toes?" Steve was willing to drop Flash which angered Adobe. I don't know the whole story, but seems like Adobe took Flash for granted as a money maker for them and didn't upkeep it.

Aperture will never see it's full potential, because they can't tread too closely on Adobe's toes, and they also really don't understand professional workflows. It will always be close to Lightroom, but never beat it, which is a bit sad.

Aperture may also suffer the fate of many of Apple's other software projects. The tend to forget about them (or lobotomize them coughFCXcough).

So.. in LR I trust...

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

So.. in LR I trust...

Why can't Apple "tread too closely on Adobe's toes?" Steve was willing to drop Flash which angered Adobe. I don't know the whole story, but seems like Adobe took Flash for granted as a money maker for them and didn't upkeep it.

I tend to agree with Luba, I don't think Apple cares about Adobe whatsoever. I think the biggest problem with Aperture, as with most of Apple's software, is that it's simply relegated to low priority. OS releases tend to get much more focus than Apple's apps. It's a shame. With the resources and bank balance Apple has, it could make it's software truly amazing and crush any competitor if it simply built up the necessary teams/resources and gave it more focus.

I suspect the long awaited Aperture release is coming, and perhaps the delay is related to a major overhaul along with an iOS version that can extend field workflow in some great ways.

Gonna just have to wait and see. In the interim, Aperture and some of the plugins I have are doing a great job for now.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Hi Virtualrain,

Great to get your perspective on the nMP especially with the one task that I spend the most time on, cycling through RAW images. Other things like video, I can wait a little longer for since I am not doing them every week.

I was wondering though, compared to using Aperture on your rMBP, how does it compare? (and which rMBP do you have?)

cheers

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hi Virtualrain,

Great to get your perspective on the nMP especially with the one task that I spend the most time on, cycling through RAW images. Other things like video, I can wait a little longer for since I am not doing them every week.

I was wondering though, compared to using Aperture on your rMBP, how does it compare? (and which rMBP do you have?)

cheers

Thanks.

I have the 2012 rMBP 13" with 3GHz dual core and 8GB RAM. I probably can't tell you what you want to know, because I only use the rMBP very occasionally for Aperture and when I do, it's with a small set of RAW files that I'll selectively import while on the road. So I'm never really stressing Aperture on the rMBP. So with that said, when I do use it, it's reasonably responsive. Certainly nothing like my nMP but probably in a similar league to my old Mac Pro. Hope that helps.

Airjarhead

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2012
TX
What a VERY informative thread using some of the Apps I wanted to see -namely Aperture. I just read through all 11 pages as my wife is looking for a second workstation. I posted about it here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19373340#post19373340

VirtualRain - Now that Aperture has been discontinued, have you tried to use Capture One, or Lightroom? I ask because my wife's go to choice is Aperture, but is considering switching based on the recent announcement.
Thanks again for the review!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
What a VERY informative thread using some of the Apps I wanted to see -namely Aperture. I just read through all 11 pages as my wife is looking for a second workstation. I posted about it here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19373340#post19373340

VirtualRain - Now that Aperture has been discontinued, have you tried to use Capture One, or Lightroom? I ask because my wife's go to choice is Aperture, but is considering switching based on the recent announcement.
Thanks again for the review!

I did an image quality and adjustment comparison of Aperture, Capture One and Lightroom some time ago. Although Capture One offered the nicest RAW conversion out-of-the-box, it doesn't work with NIK plugins (such as Viveza) which I am heavily dependent on. Lightroom had superior NR but it wasn't as easy to work with as Aperture. I never evaluated performance at that time, nor since, so I don't know how these apps would compare on the nMP although I understand that Capture One provides some GPU support which should be good news.

With the EOL of Aperture, I plan to continue using Aperture/NIK until the new Photos App is available and then I'll look at switching to that to manage my libraries and basic adjustments... from the few screen shots I've seen, the new App looks to offer a lot of the same adjustments as Aperture. However, as noted above, I'm heavily dependent on NIK's control point tone mask adjustments and until NIK supports the new Apple Photos App, I'll have to round-trip to Photoshop and NIK for those images that need local adjustments.

There's a thread in the Photography forum on this, with lots of discussion that you may find helpful... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1749131/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.