my not so serious dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2056, Oct 24, 2008.

1. 2056 macrumors 6502

okay, so right now i have an iMac and i'd like to have something more portable. no point in having two computers so i'll be selling the imac and purchasing the new macbook.
    this is where i can't really come to a decision. i'm trying to see if 300 dollars more is worth the bigger hard drive, the faster processor, the back lit keyboard (any other difference does not really matter to me)

i've done a search, but i'd still like to hear from those who have purchased the new macbook.

if you bought the new 2.0 mb:
    are you finding yourself low on hard drive space?
    wishing you had the back lit keyboard?

if you bought the new 2.4 mb:
    do you feel the extra 300 dollars was well worth it?
    is the backlit keyboard an amazing feature no one should live without?

yes, of course it's going to depend on each individual and how they use the macbook, but it's nice to have opinions from real users.

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The screen its self provides enough light to see, and I know how to type so the keyboard would only be a distraction. It's a pointless luxury. You shouldn't notice much of a different in .4 GHz.

If you told us more about your uses, we'd be able to help you decide which one you'd be better off with.

3. 2056 thread starter macrumors 6502

the MB will be used for browsing, writing papers, just very basic usage.
    i have a 2.0 mac now, so i know the new mb will be more than enough. i'm just trying to justify those 300 dollars to see if it is worth it.

4. mcruzader macrumors regular

Yes the 300 difference is well worth the backlit keyboard alone :D...no regrets here, besides you really can't upgrade the processor in future so thats something to think about ;).

5. rowlands macrumors newbie

Its funny, I'm also thinking along the same lines. I would pay the extra 300 and get the faster machine with the backlit keyboard, from experience it makes it a lot easier to type on in bad lighting.

However I am debating the switch from an iMac to a MB, my main machine is a 2.4 Ghz 24" iMac, which I absolutely love. Its been the best Mac I have ever owned. However it's portability is kinda frustrating.

The new MB & MBP are really slick and I was thinking to get a 13" MB as a second machine to use when I travel. Since I saw that 24" screen I am considering getting the 2.4 Ghz, with 4GB and 320gb and replacing my iMac. Having the gorgeous 24" screen on my desk and enjoying the compactness of the 13" when I'm out and about.

Its just a thought, but does it sound like I valid one or can anyone see any potential issues with this idea?

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I think it's worth it only if you must have the backlit keyboard.

Processor speed i don't think makes a significant difference. The 2.0 will be more than enough for what you do now as well as a few years down the road.

For HD etc. you can upgrade it in the future for much cheaper.

so it really boils down to the backlit keyboard.

From personal experience, the backlit keyboard is nice, but being a touch typist, it doesn't do much for me except looking pretty.

The screen is also more than bright enough to provide light for typing.

hope this helps. ;)

7. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

you'll be happy with the 2.0. For me, I couldn't have an HDD that's that small- it might be something you want to upgrade in the future, but this'll be very easy to do. Either that or go with an octi-core mac pro with 32gb's of ram. you'll be happy with either one ;)

8. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I would get the mid-range MB becuase of the baclit keys plus you write lots of papers so you can write when your in dark areas.