My O2 Signal has gone to nothing practically in my area! This is recent

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by julianna1973, Jul 9, 2009.

1. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

problem & after lots of emails & phoning o2 they have come back to tell me the signal is bad in my area for 2g & 3g(3g im not to concerned about)

they dont seem to want to fix what is obviously a recent fault developed & have mentioned me discussing getting out of my contract. Since i have just taken out a new contract for 3gs thru carphone warehouse, im not sure what i would need to do, can i hand the phone back? what are my rights??? & i still have my current one running until jan, does this apply to both of them??

I cannot continue like it is now, it was fine before & now its not & O2 dont care!

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

How often do you do a hard-boot? (Hold down the Home Button & the Sleep/Wake Button until the iPhone turns off and comes back on by itself, then release both buttons)...

If you are still within your 30 days of purchase, you can take it back (USA policy), so hopefully it's the same in the UK; I would suggest taking it in and having it looked at, b/c it sounds like it needs to be replaced...

3. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

I live in Central London, roughly 15 minute walk from Regents street, an area you would expect o2 to have a perfect reception. Unfortunately thats not the case, I get 5 full bars on the signal but no 2g, 3g or edge. This is the case for both my 3gs's, my 3g and my original 2 g iphone, oh and a Nokia e71. :(:(

4. julianna1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

julianna1973

Its not the phone or the sim coz i can get full signals just down the road a bit!

Im really not happy about this & im not sure i can live without my iphone. I sold my 3g & i will most likely have to return the 3gs to cancel this contract

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry to hear that; I'm in a similar area where I'm right next to the San Francisco Bay in California and I live in a dip in the terrain. So, on a good day or good night I can get 4-5 bars, while in the same location I can get "No Service - 2 Bars in a matter of seconds. I drive up the street and I get full bars and 3G for days.....:eek::eek::eek:

6. just21 macrumors member

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Same for both my gf and I. Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago - now the signal goes completely at times and we're unable to make calls. We're in Edinburgh btw..

She has the original iPhone and I have the 3G..

8. julianna1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

julianna1973

What did O2 say to you?

9. alFR macrumors 68020

I had something similar about a year ago: O2 coverage at work dropped away to virtually nothing, having been fine the day before. i emailed them to suggest that there was a problem with the local transmitter (since other O2 users onsite saw the same effect) and got the usual responses suggesting I restore my phone etc. That stopped pretty quickly when I pointed out that my phone worked fine everywhere else and that 12 other O2 users on the same site saw the same problem. :rolleyes: Eventually they reported it to their network team, and a few days later it was fixed.

Assuming your phone has been OK at that location before and is OK elsewhere now, try getting someone else on O2 to see if they see the same issue at your house: if so, then report it as a network fault and keep at them about it, they'll realise and fix it eventually.

10. Dinalli macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear about your issues.

I too had something similar.

Just over a year ago a UK hotel chain built a new hotel, which is now in the line of sight of the transmitter. I used to be able to see the transmitter from my house.

Since then Ive had nothing but signal issues with O2, I can handle no 3G reception for downloads. However the last 12 months of calls cutting off within the first minute, and generally my 3G not holding a signal at all, i have had enough. Despite it being rasied with the network team and the coverage checker showing I have full 3G signal, O2 really didnt care too much, pretty much telling me i had signed a contract and tough the signal checker said it was all ok in my area and i must be lieing.

Anyway in the end my only real option was to jailbreak and unlock and use it with another network.

I hope you have more luck than I did.

11. wpc macrumors regular

I'm getting the same problems in Swansea... got full bars and then nothing for a few minutes, then back to full bars... sometimes restarting the phone re-establishes the connection, but then it goes down again. I hope it's not a fault with the phone, don't think it is.

Even in the city centre I get periods of 'no service'... odd. I've had the phone for over 2 weeks now and it's only in the past 2 or 3 days that I've noticed this.

12. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

Leeds, Doncaster and Wakefield have similar problems for me, it all seems to have gone downhill since 3.0 and the 3GS was announced, it's a conspiracy i tell ya!!!!

13. julianna1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

julianna1973

Well i would love to unlock the phone if it was the only way to still have the iphone but its not an option as im on contract & even getting out of it, i think then no iphone??

My only hope is that sometime in the near future, Orange get iPhone!

I wonder whats going on with O2, it seems a lot of areas nationally have had recent problems

My email to complaintsreview hasnt recieved a response yet, seems its a waiting game but im running out of time for the 28 day faults return in carphone warehouse.

I cannot afford to pay them a few hundred to keep the 3GS at the moment. As much as i would love to.
    Thats what i said to O2, they are supposed to be improving services not let them go downhill & lose the customers they have!

Is it possible at all for my iphone to be faulty but only in my area? i am assuming that its not faulty as i get full signals in other areas?

14. julianna1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I had the 3gs for a week on my temp contract sim & i never had any network issues.

& I have just tested the sim in another phone, just to be 100% sure it absolutely ISNT the phone!!

It isnt!!!!!!!

15. alFR macrumors 68020

Then do what I suggested above, call O2 and tell them that and get it referred to their network team.