My observations concerning the new 27'' iMac vs. the 2009 launch model

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BlackFalcon448, Nov 5, 2011.

1. BlackFalcon448 macrumors member

Hi all. I'm in sort of a peculiar situation. I have owned (not at the same time) both the launch day 27'' imac and the most recent one released earlier this year. There are noticeable differences if you have had both, so thought I would go over those here.

a. The Screen

When I had my launch iMac, I like everyone else in the world, had the yellow screen issue. I went through 3 replacements until I got one that was not as bad as the others. But the problem persisted and I eventually couldn't take it anymore and sold the iMac.

b. Disk Drive

On my third replacement of the launch iMac, the SuperDrive slot must have been cut poorly because EVERY SINGLE CD I put into it would get horrendously scratched. I've noticed the new iMac I have now has a plastic ring around the inside of the SuperDrive slot, completely negating any problems that may arise because of a poorly cut slot.

c. Hard Drive

The hard drive in the launch iMac was a seagate brand drive and every time the system was doing nothing, the drive would park its heads, which makes sense. However, all the drives I got would make an INCREDIBLY loud clicking noise when they parked. You could hear the drive spinning at basically full speed and then CLICKKKKKK- and it instantly stopped. I knew from owning previous seagate hard rives that that behavior would kill the drive in a matter of months, so I was not happy at all.

Likewise, the new iMac has a Western Digital drive, either a caviar blue or black (you can usually tell by looking at the serial number in system info, but apple used drives with custom connectors so the serial number system is slightly different, so I don't really know for sure.) Anyway, the new drive is silent, except when accessing data. I couldn't be happier.

In conclusion, the things I've noticed are very typical of any apple product. A brand new design is introduced and there are usually many problems with it until the second or even third revision. The older launch iMac had many issues, while the new one is flawless.

Sorry if that was a huge wall of text, but I just felt like letting people know what I've personally seen. :apple:

2. leman macrumors 604

I owned both a 2009 launch model and a current launch model; never had any problems with them. You probably just got a bad batch.

3. BlackFalcon448 thread starter macrumors member

Did you order the launch model online BTO, or did you get it in a store? It seems everyone that had issues with the launch models had custom ordered them...

4. leman macrumors 604

BTO, ordered directly from Apple (online store)

5. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

I have the yellow screen issue and also a bit flickering on my "launch day 27' BTO imac", but haven't had any issues with dvd's and hdd, at least so far. I'm just waiting for the next iMac update now, gonna sell my 2009 model before it breaks down and get a new one :)

6. MrT-Man macrumors regular

The yellow screen issue is still there on some new 27" iMacs (look at a bunch in the store & you'll come across it), albeit maybe less severe and less common than on older models.

7. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Hi BlackFalcon448

Many thanks for comparing both old and new 27" releases. And, for taking the time to write up your comparison report. Great finds - on both old and new models....

Your final statement reminded me of many new product releases. re: Never buy the 1st year. Always buy the 2nd or 3rd year release. Thus, ensuring the next year release has been better tweaked. I apply this same selection approach when buying vechilces as well. re: Never buy year one. Only focus on year 2 or year 3 of that specific design...

Thanks for sharing the details of each old and new iMac.