Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have finally upgraded from my 2018 11" iPad Pro. Tempted as I always am by the 13" model, I ultimately went with the "safe" choice of the 11" iPad Pro because I knew that's what would work best for me at work (the 13" iPad is simply too unwieldy to hold with one hand no matter how thin and light it gets). However, I will never stop thinking about how much nicer reading on that larger screen could have been. 🥲

My model is the 256gb black 11" version with cellular. Purchasing an e-sim online from my carrier seemed more cumbersome than I thought it would, until I realised the reason why the webpage seemed so buggy was that it was apparently not optimised for use with Safari. Switching to Chrome on my Mac fixed the issue and the transaction went through without a hitch. :mad:

I am now finally on 5g on both my iPhone and iPad. Previously, I was still on 4g because I was sharing a data plan with my iPad and that multi-sim arrangement wasn't compatible with 5g. When I get it, everything seems to load a little more quickly. And this will be a recurring theme. Everything is just a little better than before, and it all adds up.

For accessories, I also purchased the Apple Pencil pro, Magic Keyboard and the black Smart Folio. My thinking is that the magic keyboard will stay at my desk as a charging dock. When I am away, I need a case that can be easily attached and removed, hence the Smart Folio with its magnetic backing. So far, I noticed the Magic Keyboard seems to take up a little more space on my desk, probably because of the row of function keys. Writing with the new Apple Pencil feels a little different, like there's a bit more friction or feedback compared to the previous pencil which was just writing across smooth glass. But it could also just be me?

So far, I haven't yet decided what action to map to the "squeeze" feature. Thinking of either a shortcut that brings up a list of apps to launch, or to quickly take a screenshot and annotate before sharing it. Suggestions would be welcome here. 😄

The sucky thing is that all of my existing iPad accessories are no longer compatible with it, but I knew this going in. My Benks magnetic stand, my previous Apple Pencil and cases.

When setting up my new iPad, my fingers got itchy and I decided to set it up as new, something I would come to regret. Feels like the act of setting everything up manually from scratch didn't really seem worth it for me, vs simply restoring from a backup. Ah well, a once-every-5-years problem, I guess.

Funnily enough, I don't really have much to say about the screen. It seems brighter, everything seems a little clearer and more crisp, but I can't say it's very noticeable to me.

Sound-wise, I do seem to hear a small difference. Sound feels a little more "hollow" sounding? Can't really describe it. But it's definitely a step down.

Overall, performing the same tasks seem to drain my battery less quickly and heat up my device less (and I did have the battery replaced last year). I have yet to put my new iPad Pro through a full day of use though. Performance-wise, everything is faster (and this varies from slightly to fairly significantly), but I am unsure how much of it is attributed to the M4 chip vs my A12x chip simply being old. For example, switching focus modes is now instantaneous (it used to take like half a second, with the loading progress bar very visible in the shortcuts widget). Pressing down on a link in safari brings up the menu immediately (there was also a noticeable delay with my 2018 iPad). Apps launch snd load data faster (eg: twitch and google drive). Playing slay-the-spire no longer drains the battery so quickly. When reading comics in Mangadex, I used to encounter problems with pages not loading (it's super smooth now), but I also know they were having server issues a few months ago, so again, I am not sure how much of my perceived improvements in performance is thanks to the hardware improvements in the new M4 ipad vs some other external factors.

Basically, there is almost zero lag in my daily tasks. I think this is really the biggest quality of life improvement here if you are coming from an older iPad, even moreso than the screen upgrade.

Will get round to playing with stage manager one of these days (I want to test it out with my 27" 4k monitor at work). 😬

So yeah, a nice, albeit somewhat pricey upgrade (but it was mainly the magic keyboard that jacked up the cost significantly). But heck, in for a penny, in for a pound. :)

Last edited:

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I’ve also come from a 2018 11” iPad (non-cellular). Love the new 11” 512gb M4 w/ Magic Keyboard and new pencil pro. Not so happy with the battery at all. Coming from a very well used 6 year old iPad, I’m getting less battery on this new model. It’s been over a week now so indexing is done and still not happy with the battery. Everything else is stellar. I’m not into doing analysis on this, I just know how I use my iPad and this one is burning through the battery like crazy with the very same tasks/games.

Reactions: JemTheWire

Zahni

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
If you have an iPhone, I find the mobile phone option rather superfluous. You can always use your iPhone as a hotspot very easily. It is important that you deactivate the "Maximize Compatibility" option in the hotspot settings, otherwise there will be no 5Ghz hotspot.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Will get round to playing with stage manager one of these days (I want to test it out with my 27" 4k monitor at work). 😬
Looking forward to your thoughts on it. And just to alleviate some of your concerns... I find it's a much better experience on a monitor, so it's great you are testing out the feature on it.

Reactions: Kal Madda

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I have finally upgraded from my 2018 11" iPad Pro. Tempted as I always am by the 13" model, I ultimately went with the "safe" choice of the 11" iPad Pro because I knew that's what would work best for me at work (the 13" iPad is simply too unwieldy to hold with one hand no matter how thin and light it gets). However, I will never stop thinking about how much nicer reading on that larger screen could have been. 🥲

My model is the 256gb black 11" version with cellular. Purchasing an e-sim online from my carrier seemed more cumbersome than I thought it would, until I realised the reason why the webpage seemed so buggy was that it was apparently not optimised for use with Safari. Switching to Chrome on my Mac fixed the issue and the transaction went through without a hitch. :mad:

I am now finally on 5g on both my iPhone and iPad. Previously, I was still on 4g because I was sharing a data plan with my iPad and that multi-sim arrangement wasn't compatible with 5g. When I get it, everything seems to load a little more quickly. And this will be a recurring theme. Everything is just a little better than before, and it all adds up.

For accessories, I also purchased the Apple Pencil pro, Magic Keyboard and the black Smart Folio. My thinking is that the magic keyboard will stay at my desk as a charging dock. When I am away, I need a case that can be easily attached and removed, hence the Smart Folio with its magnetic backing. So far, I noticed the Magic Keyboard seems to take up a little more space on my desk, probably because of the row of function keys. Writing with the new Apple Pencil feels a little different, like there's a bit more friction or feedback compared to the previous pencil which was just writing across smooth glass. But it could also just be me?

So far, I haven't yet decided what action to map to the "squeeze" feature. Thinking of either a shortcut that brings up a list of apps to launch, or to quickly take a screenshot and annotate before sharing it. Suggestions would be welcome here. 😄

The sucky thing is that all of my existing iPad accessories are no longer compatible with it, but I knew this going in. My Benks magnetic stand, my previous Apple Pencil and cases.

When setting up my new iPad, my fingers got itchy and I decided to set it up as new, something I would come to regret. Feels like the act of setting everything up manually from scratch didn't really seem worth it for me, vs simply restoring from a backup. Ah well, a once-every-5-years problem, I guess.

Funnily enough, I don't really have much to say about the screen. It seems brighter, everything seems a little clearer and more crisp, but I can't say it's very noticeable to me.

Sound-wise, I do seem to hear a small difference. Sound feels a little more "hollow" sounding? Can't really describe it. But it's definitely a step down.

Overall, performing the same tasks seem to drain my battery less quickly and heat up my device less (and I did have the battery replaced last year). I have yet to put my new iPad Pro through a full day of use though. Performance-wise, everything is faster (and this varies from slightly to fairly significantly), but I am unsure how much of it is attributed to the M4 chip vs my A12x chip simply being old. For example, switching focus modes is now instantaneous (it used to take like half a second, with the loading progress bar very visible in the shortcuts widget). Pressing down on a link in safari brings up the menu immediately (there was also a noticeable delay with my 2018 iPad). Apps launch snd load data faster (eg: twitch and google drive). Playing slay-the-spire no longer drains the battery so quickly. When reading comics in Mangadex, I used to encounter problems with pages not loading (it's super smooth now), but I also know they were having server issues a few months ago, so again, I am not sure how much of my perceived improvements in performance is thanks to the hardware improvements in the new M4 ipad vs some other external factors.

Basically, there is almost zero lag in my daily tasks. I think this is really the biggest quality of life improvement here if you are coming from an older iPad, even moreso than the screen upgrade.

So yeah, a nice, albeit somewhat pricey upgrade (but it was mainly the magic keyboard that jacked up the cost significantly). But heck, in for a penny, in for a pound. :)
Congratulations! New tech is fun and the A12X is definitely a bit long in the tooth. I still wish I had kept mine when I upgraded to the M1 as it still does essentially everything the same, just a tad less snappy … and our kid needs a YouTube machine when we go on trips. 😆

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
I’ve also come from a 2018 11” iPad (non-cellular). Love the new 11” 512gb M4 w/ Magic Keyboard and new pencil pro. Not so happy with the battery at all. Coming from a very well used 6 year old iPad, I’m getting less battery on this new model. It’s been over a week now so indexing is done and still not happy with the battery. Everything else is stellar. I’m not into doing analysis on this, I just know how I use my iPad and this one is burning through the battery like crazy with the very same tasks/games.
Battery life on these things seems to be all over the place. Just out of curiosity, are you running light mode or dark mode? What are your normal brightness settings on both the screen and the keyboard?

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
If you have an iPhone, I find the mobile phone option rather superfluous. You can always use your iPhone as a hotspot very easily. It is important that you deactivate the "Maximize Compatibility" option in the hotspot settings, otherwise there will be no 5Ghz hotspot.

For me the mobile option is crucial. I always use my iPad on the go and I don't want to drain my iPhone battery all the time with the hotspot. Also it's annoying having to enable it all the time.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I just made the same move....2018 iPad Pro with 512gb / cellular to the 11" M4 with 256gb and cellular...should get here tomorrow.

I wish they had made the new iPad a little thicker with more battery... not sure why they thought the thinness would be more important to the market.

R

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Battery life on these things seems to be all over the place. Just out of curiosity, are you running light mode or dark mode? What are your normal brightness settings on both the screen and the keyboard?
I use light mode always, and keep the screen pretty low (20-30)% brightness (given how clear the screen is). I just did turn down keyboard brightness, so thanks for that. Not sure though, that that is the draining issue.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Looking forward to your thoughts on it. And just to alleviate some of your concerns... I find it's a much better experience on a monitor, so it's great you are testing out the feature on it.
Hmm, for some reason, I have having difficulty getting my monitor to work with my iPad.

At my workstation, my 4k monitor is connected to a usb dock / stand which my laptop has no issues working with. But when I plug in the usb-c cable to my iPad, it charges, and the keyboard and mouse work, (both of which are linked to a usb receiver connected to the dock), but the monitor remains blank.

I encounter a similar issue with my colleague's Samsung phone (dex not working), so I am not sure where the issue is, which is a bummer. 😕

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Hmm, for some reason, I have having difficulty getting my monitor to work with my iPad.

At my workstation, my 4k monitor is connected to a usb dock / stand which my laptop has no issues working with. But when I plug in the usb-c cable to my iPad, it charges, and the keyboard and mouse work, (both of which are linked to a usb receiver connected to the dock), but the monitor remains blank.

I encounter a similar issue with my colleague's Samsung phone (dex not working), so I am not sure where the issue is, which is a bummer. 😕
Yeah, that's strange. I have a 4k portable monitor that I used on my mini-desktop PC and sometimes Windows sent driver updates to the monitor.

And one update resulted in some weird error, giving me a message in standby mode while every second displayed a different colored screen, but it still functioned properly. And the message on the screen never went away... I alternated using the monitor for Windows and the iPad.

Eventually, I ended getting a dead-pixel on the monitor that followed with a replacement and once I received it. I completely stopped using the portable monitor with Windows. I use it strictly for the iPad, because I worry Windows likely caused my display issues.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yeah, that's strange. I have a 4k portable monitor that I used on my mini-desktop PC and sometimes Windows sent driver updates to the monitor.

And one update resulted in some weird error, giving me a message in standby mode while every second displayed a different colored screen, but it still functioned properly. And the message on the screen never went away... I alternated using the monitor for Windows and the iPad.

Eventually, I ended getting a dead-pixel on the monitor that followed with a replacement and once I received it. I completely stopped using the portable monitor with Windows. I use it strictly for the iPad, because I worry Windows likely caused my display issues.

For anyone interested, I managed to identify the problem today.

It was my 140w charger that was plugged into my laptop stand with integrated dock. On a hunch, I replaced it with my 100w anker charger and got stage manager working. I guess one can have too much of a good thing.

And the stage manager experience was…kinda lackluster overall, IMO.

Quite a number of apps just feel weird and awkward in a desktop environment, and are clearly not optimised for it still. For example, a number of controls in the youtube app don’t respond when I try to click on them, and the app refuses to give me the tablet view no matter how I try to expand it. Or I open an app only to have it launch in a new view instead of alongside an existing app and I realise there is quite some getting used to.

The whole experience was just clunky overall.

I suppose it can still be handy in a pinch when I want to work in apps available only on my ipad that my work laptop doesn’t have (like say, exporting select pages from a pdf document, or editing videos in LumaFusion) but for now, I don’t see myself using it all that much. Maybe we will see further improvements in iOS 18, but I am not holding my breath.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Quite a number of apps just feel weird and awkward in a desktop environment, and are clearly not optimised for it still. For example, a number of controls in the youtube app don’t respond when I try to click on them, and the app refuses to give me the tablet view no matter how I try to expand it. Or I open an app only to have it launch in a new view instead of alongside an existing app and I realise there is quite some getting used to.

I suppose it can still be handy in a pinch when I want to work in apps available only on my ipad that my work laptop doesn’t have (like say, exporting select pages from a pdf document, or editing videos in LumaFusion) but for now, I don’t see myself using it all that much. Maybe we will see further improvements in iOS 18, but I am not holding my breath.
I personally think it's one of those cases where it takes an adjustment period given that external display support has never been available on the iPad. As soon as it was introduced... I dove straight in, used it on the iPad itself along with an external monitor.

And admittedly I had the same experience as you... I initially thought the experience was clunky, couldn't move apps exactly where I wanted. Resizing windows felt disjointed... it wasn't as fluid as it should have been. And YouTube still to this day, is not optimized for it (video aligns to the left). I normally just PiP a YT video.

But iPadOS 17 made some well-needed improvements to Stage Manager, specifically placing windows where I wanted and resizing windows. I'm not sure what improvements you are looking for with it... but the issue where you want an app to launch in the same "stage"... just hold shift while you launch the new app.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I came from a 2018 Pro as well, I do love the screen and the thickness of the new one. It’s definitely faster which is great. But I use it a lot for YouTube, on WiFi with auto brightness, and battery life does not seem great.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
For anyone interested, I managed to identify the problem today.

It was my 140w charger that was plugged into my laptop stand with integrated dock. On a hunch, I replaced it with my 100w anker charger and got stage manager working. I guess one can have too much of a good thing.

I don’t know, wait until you have stage manager crash and take out all the apps on stage. Super annoying. It’s beta quality IMO.

bdsmith63

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
I updated from the iPad Pro 3rd Gen 11" (2020) and do notice the M4 chip is faster. Any suggestions on what to do with my old Magic Keyboard from my 2020 tablet?

I am monitoring the battery usage and have noticed it does seem to be a little exhaustive over the 2020 tablet, perhaps an update Apple will push through to tweak this?

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I updated from the iPad Pro 3rd Gen 11" (2020) and do notice the M4 chip is faster. Any suggestions on what to do with my old Magic Keyboard from my 2020 tablet?

I am monitoring the battery usage and have noticed it does seem to be a little exhaustive over the 2020 tablet, perhaps an update Apple will push through to tweak this?
At this point, maybe see who in your family is using an older iPad Pro or iPad Air and pass it down to them? I doubt it has much resale value at this point either.

Reactions: bdsmith63

ewrapple

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2016

You can sell on eBay but you're not going to get more than $60 before fees.

Reactions: bdsmith63
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.