My official docking station has trouble receiving signal from remote. Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by felixen, Apr 24, 2009.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

I just bought the official apple docking station - the one with a remote included.

Do you guys also have a hard time for the remote/dock to register when you hit a button? I sit a few feet away in my chair and I have to stretch my arm and aim at the dock before it'll receive signal from my remote. Other times I sit on my bed which is right in front of the dock, also a few feet away, and sometimes it doesn't even register when I use the remote from there.

Im wondering if it's the remote or the docking station itself. Can it be because the dock stands next to my mac mini, stereo, tv, dvd player and satellite dish receiver that it has a hard time catching the sigal? Cause its very weak. the remote works better on my new mac mini than on the dock.

I got the docking station from ebay and the box had been opened so i dunno if its damaged or if the remote signal is always this weak (or the dock is weak at picking up the signal, i dunno). So I would appreciate some feedback for those of you who have the same docking station and the remote. If it works very well for you guys Im gonna have to contact the ebay seller.

2. saeybia macrumors newbie

Just sounds to me as if the battery in the remote is dead, this happened with my imac and appletv remote, changed the battery and everything was fine :) give it try and fingers crossed for you.

3. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks dude. Not to sound like a complete moron, but how do you open the remote so i can change the batteries? its just weird though, its (supposedly) brand new

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Look at the bottom of the remote. look at the little circle dent. Get a paper clip or something and push it in that dent. The battery tray will come out. It's just like the same thing when you remove the sim card from the iPhone.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1306

5. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

BUT, If you said you JUST bought it, then bring it back and they will give you a new dock and remote. Why waste money on a battery when it should have shipped working?

7. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah I know, but I already had the battery so I just wanted to test it. Didn't change a thing though.

But for those of you who have the same dock and remote, can you stand like on the side of the dock and still have the remote work fine? Or do you have to be somewhat in front of it?

Can you stand relatively far away (by that I mean more then two meters) and still have it work just fine?

Standing more than a few meters away, can you still stand on one side of the dock and still have it pick up the remote signal?

I have rarely had a remote for anything work this poorly. Must be a damaged item. Or could it be that my other devices are picking up the signal so my dock doesn't receive it (TV, dvd, mac mini, various receivers)??