My Old Backup Disappeared?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kwbump, Jul 7, 2010.

1. kwbump macrumors newbie

So I got the error when performing a backup to update my 3G (through AT&T, no jailbreak/unlock) to 4.0 and, therefore got stuck in the never ending loop at the apple screen with the status bar filling up over and over. I found a way out, but in doing this I lost all contacts, messages, etc. After the first failed attempt, I noticed I had a backup file from April of this year, but I didn't fool with it. After 4+ attempts at restoring I look back at the backup list and I now have 4 updates from July 7th (today) and the old one is now gone. I looked in the mobilesync/backup folder and it is gone from there too. Is there any reason for this happening or does anyone know where I can find this backup? I do not have time machine set up and don't know how to do so without a backup disk. Also, using MoblieSyncBrowser, I have found ALL of the data needed in the supposed initial failed backup file, but every time I try to backup to this file it leads me back into the loop again. Can anyone help me out with this? I've been troubleshooting and have searched for 8 straight hours to no avail.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It only keeps so many at a time, that's where you old backup went.

Continuing to attempt to restore the corrupt file is not going to work. You can try searching for a utility to extract the data from the corrupted backup and see if you can just get it back into contacts and then resync through iTunes.