My old boss bought a new laptop with vista

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xodonniedarko, Feb 14, 2008.

1. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

The store where I work is just now switching over management, so my 'old boss' is still coming in sometimes to help around. He came in yesterday bragging about his brand new laptop he bought for his new real estate job. I heard him say "It has three GIGABYTES of ram."
    (Well this could be a lie, because he knows as much about technology as a slug, but still.)

He opened up the Chess game to show me, and it was LAGGY. It lagged opening, the mouse lagged, the chess pieces skipped around when moving!!!
    3GB of MEMORY and it still can't load a default game? Is this ridiculous? Is Vista seriously this bad, or do my eyes deceive me?

Hey, as my brother always says,

"You know which laptop was proven to run Vista faster than any other laptop in the world?

A mac."

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

Vista has very harsh requirements for its "Aero Glass" semi-transparent interface, and it has been known to perform very sluggishly, even on some of the newest hardware. I'd imagine that laptops are particularly at risk for graphics slowdowns when rendering the new "effects," if they even support them at all. Some low-end machines do not have enough video memory to even support the new interface; Vista reverts back to a simpler look without the special effects.

I've seen more than one brand new computer with Vista that had problems with graphics. Unlike the mostly smooth and seamless effects of Mac OS X, the Vista effects were choppy and rather distracting on certain systems. Add a game on top of all that, and trouble can start to happen. Of course, part of the difference is Windows simply trying to support so many different pieces of hardware equally.

3. mashny macrumors regular

I worked with a guy about ten years ago—a very nice guy, by the way—who, whenever I mentioned that I used a Mac, would say, "If you use a Mac, you deserve what you get." Well, shoe is on the other foot now.

Vista is like syphilis: it's a social disease.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No, Vista isn't that bad. Something else must have been messing the Chess game up. I use Vista at work, and the only real complaint I have on it is its networking abilities and ability to crash when any program hangs for more than 15 seconds, other than that it's just MS Windows as usual.

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Dunno who's the slug - It was the fastest Vista notebook that PC Mag reviewed, which they hyped up for the pageviews.

If you look around even for two seconds you'll see faster machines in the Windows world.

8. Smoogz macrumors member

i dont know why anyone would want to brag about vista... seriously MS should have just come out with Service Pack 3 for XP. i just cant stand having vista ask me if i really want to continue with this "admin" action every 30 secs.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Vista is still crap.

Why can't Windows release RAM when you close an app is beyond me. Having to restart my machine seems anti-productive.
    I used to have a car that when I'd go too fast it'd stall. So I bought a new car. I don't know why people put up with the same mess with a computer.

10. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I have Vista Basic on my Compaq laptop and its average... not extremely fast but not slow as hell. I did upgrade my RAM from 512MB to 1.5GB. Vista is completely un-useable with anything less than 1GB of RAM. The laptop seriously took 5 minutes to boot up out of the box, not exactly a great first impression. However, I know my laptop is mainly held back by the slow Celeron M processor. However, I don't think Vista is that bad. Great? No, but not terrible. It's not Windows Me or anything...

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

At my school, they put Vista on one of there best computers and not only was it very slow but it couldnt even load a GIF file! But school computers are very very crap, I have seen some around with Windows 98 stickers on there!

I have Vista running through Parallels on my iMac and apart from the normal Windoze crap, it runs fine. However, that is just Home Basic, its only used to run a few apps.

12. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Um, because people are stupid?

13. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Vista basic suxx. Get Ultimate, if you must use Vista, and 4GB RAM. :D

Or, just use XP Pro :p