My old iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rob Holloway, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Rob Holloway macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I bought the original iPhone the week it was released several years ago. I completed the contract and 2 years later moved onto the 3GS. I gave the original iPhone to my son as an iPod Touch which he loves

I now need to get my son a phone.

Is it possible to activate my original out of contract iphone with a different carrier. I'm not paying $90 a month for a full contract with AT&T for him.

Thanks
    Rob

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Absolutely! Download Redsn0w (Mac)(Windows). You will also need the BootLoader files: (BL 3.9) (BL 4.6)
    Follow all of the appropriate steps, and you're done. Make sure to select "Unlock" in Redsn0w so you can use your phone on any GSM carrier.

3. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

If you unlock it you can use it with T-Mobile. They are the only other GSM carrier here (us). BTW, Why do you have to get the $90 plan? Why not just do a family share to your plan? which is $10 and $15 for data?

4. Rob Holloway thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this I'll check it out. I need a pay as you go plan with no contract.
    Rob

5. Rob Holloway thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I bought the 3GS and cancelled my contract because I could not get reception. My son will use my old original iPhone. I have no contract with AT&T to add him to. I currently use Straight Talk at $30 per month.

Rob

6. Rob Holloway thread starter macrumors newbie

Links broken

Thanks anyway, but the links are broken

Am I understanding it correct that if I jail break my old original out of contract iPhone I can use it on another carrier? I have no issues with warranties etc as they all expired a long time ago.

Thanks
    Rob

7. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Those links work fine for me. Jailbreaking your phone will not make it usable on other carriers. You will need to unlock your phone. The instructions I gave you will do both.