My old PC must know its days are numbered

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ronners, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Ronners macrumors newbie

Like a lot of folk I read on the forum, I am waiting for my first mac to arrive. In new 27 inch imac, ordered on 10 December. I am desperately hoping my status will change this week. It has been a long and painful wait.
    But to top it off my trusty desktop PC (2006 quad core, 4 mb Ram and a collection of various HDD I hobbled together over the years) is for the first time showing signs of terminal illness. It started life with XP, and graduated to Vista before moving to windows 7. I have upgraded Ram, GPU and HDD over the years. Generally it performed without fault, but after I purchased a Nikon D7000, which is being used for a bit of video work as well as photo jobs, my pc cannot cope with HD video editing.

I think my PC knows that I have ordered a replacement, it is now popping and banging, intermittently shutting down and the display now has irregular lines flashing across the screen. This has all started in the past 2 weeks, maybe I shouldn't have placed the order using my old Windows machine. I could have hid it from her for a few more weeks. I feel guilty treating her so badly, and I now have to consider how to retire her gracefully and painlessly.

Is it just me or does anyone else get attached to their old work horse and will be sorry to let her go?

I think this waiting is driving me a little crazy

2. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I wasn't sad to see my old clapped out PC go back in 2009 when I got my first Mac...

However, I'll be getting a new iMac in summer (got to save for one first) and I feel genuinely guilty about letting my 2009 MBP go... I don't know what to do with him :(

3. oldgeezer macrumors member

I have established a retirement home for my old PCs. It's called the basement. Somehow they never make it to the recycler.

4. Paul-B macrumors newbie

Video editing was the reason I jumped ship with Windows. Roxio flattened my 2007 Dell Core 2 Duo. Even with everything else off HD video editing lasted 5 minutes max before a crash.

Sitting in front of my 27"iMac wondering how to fathom out Final Cut Pro. But I can already see how effortlessly it handles HD video...