My once silent hard drive now very noisy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by merlinn, Oct 18, 2008.

1. merlinn macrumors newbie

I have a 2.6 MBP with a Hitachi 7200 200 GB hard drive. The computer is about 7 months old. In the last week the drive has gone from virtually silent to very loud, a varying ticking or clicking sound. How concerned should I be?? I have my data backed up on time capsule.

Merlnn

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

symptoms of a dying hard drive. back up everything immediately to be safe. then if it dies you can install a new 2.5" SATA hard drive and restore your backup! :)

3. merlinn thread starter macrumors newbie

My mac life has been trying... I bought a MBP when the new model was released in Feb, in 2 weeks dead hard drive... 2 months later, more issues and Apple replaced my MBP with a new one...

I am still under warranty, do I have any choice in what drive it is replaced with?? Is this a common experience, I have not had these types of problems pre mac.. do not want to go back to pc.. but please Apple

I will get to my time capsule in a few hours, back up again, then off to the Apple store.. Lucky the store is 100 yards from my office and they know me quite well.. 2 Imacs, MB, MBP etc this year.. All the other equipment have been trouble free, only the MBP has been a problem.. you would think the "consumer" models would have had the problems, not the "pro" model..

Merlinn

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ask them to do diagnostics on the Mac and not just the hard drive. there may be a problem with your MBP. you too could try the Apple Hardware Test by starting up into the first install DVD holding D.