My one and only Tiger bug...

Ted Witcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
For some reason my computer no longer goes to sleep when left idle, though I have it set to do so. Anyone else have this glitch?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ted Witcher said:
For some reason my computer no longer goes to sleep when left idle, though I have it set to do so. Anyone else have this glitch?
Are you using Dasher or Adium? Both of these seem to cause sleep issues. The Adium issue is separate, but the Dasher issue seems to be that the widget activity is enough to keep the computer awake, which is really annoying, 'cause Dasher is a great idea.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Ted Witcher said:
Don't know about Dasher or Adium, but do you have iPhoto open? I've found that my iBook won't sleep when iPhoto'05 is open. I'm using OS X 10.4.1.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^That's not true. My PB wouldn't go to sleep if iTunes was the only app turned on.

Another issue may be if you are on the internet. I find that when I sign onto the internet (I live at a Uni residence), my PB stays on because its constantly getting an internet connection. But that's the way it should be, IMO.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
mkrishnan said:
Are you using Dasher or Adium? Both of these seem to cause sleep issues. The Adium issue is separate, but the Dasher issue seems to be that the widget activity is enough to keep the computer awake, which is really annoying, 'cause Dasher is a great idea.
heh no wonder.

Ted Witcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
No Dasher or Adium. No iPhoto or iTunes. Nothing different from when this used to work under Panther. A minor bug or conflict, but still irritating. Thanks for the help.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ted Witcher said:
No Dasher or Adium. No iPhoto or iTunes. Nothing different from when this used to work under Panther. A minor bug or conflict, but still irritating. Thanks for the help.
Try this:
repair permissions
shut down
restart in open firmware and reset pram/nvram
restart in single user mode and fsck or restart off the Tiger disk and repair disk

I am starting to suspect that some of the issues I had early on with Tiger might have had to do with my pram/nvram becoming slightly corrupted. Also, I surprisingly found two temp files that had incorrect file sizes in the journal with fsck. I don't know what they were related to, but I guess this sort of thing could cause strangeness.