My one week with a rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steveh552, Feb 14, 2014.

1. steveh552 macrumors regular

Just wanted to write my thoughts/mini review here for anyone else that maybe coming to the rMPB from a windows machine.

Let me start by saying I have always hated Macs and Apple from the time I can remember, but that all changed when i got my iPhone 5s a few months ago. Computer wise I was always a windows guy and phones I went for Android. After buying the 5s, I fell in love with it and decided I wanted to have a Mac computer. I started researching and really was not interested in spending as much as one would cost but I finally broke down and sold myself.

So last Saturday I went to the Apple store and picked up a 13in 8gb rMBP with the 512ssd. My experience in the store was great. I walked in and was greeted by a nice smiling young lady who was willing to spend as much time answering my questions as I needed. I had a hard time decided on weather to get the 13 or 15 or even a MBA (screen sold me on the rMBP) in but opted for the 13 due to it being more portable and a bit cheaper.

Speaking of price, they had it for $1799 and I mentioned that at Best Buy it was $1749 on sale, to which she told me she could match that but then asked if I was in college. I told her it had been many years and she said no problem and gave me the student discount on it bringing it down to $1699. She had them bring it out and while doing the set up I mentioned Apple Care to which she never even mentioned it while doing the sale and she said of course and rung it up and she gave the discount on it saving $66, so in total I saved $166, about equal to the tax. The set up was pretty quick, I told them it was my first and they made sure I knew what I was doing with it before I left. It was an awesome experience.

As for the computer itself, I love it. i have had a few beach balls on it but over all it is the fastest, smoothest and best computer I have had. I am still learning to use it obviously but am finding more and more by the day that I can do with it. The free software that came with it is still installed, I use garageband mainly for a time killer, have not used the iPhoto or ivideo programs yet nor the iWork's programs. I have found that once i transferred my media over to it I still have quite a bit of storage left. It connects to my home network just fine, is by far the fastest machine on it. The display is great, I see no yellow tint and I am not doing the IR test, if I have issues with that down the road, thats what the Applecare is for.

I am mixed on weather to stick with Chrome or Safari. When using Chrome, it always shows up under the battery as using significant energy, I only see that on Safari when I am streaming netflix.

I was so impressed with this machine that I bought an Airport Extreme to use for time machine and also a network drive.

Other than the learning curve and trying to figure things out, this is the best machine I have ever had and although a lot of money, I have no complaints to date.

Anyone on the fence about weather to stick with windows or go to a mac, I can highly recommend this machine.

2. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

The Mac computers are amazing. I was a Windows user since I was a kid (about 6 years old) and have just recently transitioned to a Mac user. When my Sony laptop died on me a couple of years ago, I had been forced to use my dad's iMac and I was hooked from the start! I've used it for about a year before I decided to get my own computer. On Christmas Day, I splurged and bought myself an expensive Christmas present: a 15-inch retina Macbook Pro - highest spec available! It's the most money I've ever spent in one go, but I do not regret a moment of it! I've had it in my possession for a little over a month now and it is fantastic! I am so happy with this laptop, I can't even begin to tell you. It works great, it's super fast, the screen is fantastic. I just love everything about it! I definitely recommend any Macbook to any Windows user debating on making the switch. You will not regret it, that's for sure!

3. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Just one question to both of you guys what made you think 13" and 15" respectively I am in a strange dilemma I am using a Friend's 13" rMBP for some days before I have to return it back to him and then I plant to buy my own rMBP and so am torn apart between taking the decision of whether to go for 15" or 13" Portability is not so mcuh of an issue as I dont see travelling too much with the Mac be it 13" or 15" I would say about 25% of travelling thats it. So portability is not a very decisive factor.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I also just got my first mac and am in love in with it. Will never buy a pc again. Glad you enjoy yours as well.

5. RMXO macrumors 6502a

If you don't travel as much go with the bigger screen. I travel with my 15" MBP everyday to work and have no issues with it. Heck back in the days I use to travel with my 17" Inspiron @ 11lbs & until recently a 15" Sager @ 6lbs.

6. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I used to use chrome as my primary browser until I got my rMBP. Safari is so much smoother; chrome still stutters/lags on many sites but that problem has been fixed in Safari, even on the original retina MacBooks.

7. steveh552 thread starter macrumors regular

I have experience that on Chrome. I am test-driving Safari right now. I like how whatever is on the rMBP I can pick up my iPhone and continue on it in safari. Iv yet to get that working smooth on my Chrome.

8. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Quad-core, the analysis work I do with my Mac really roars with more cores thus 15". Portability is still a big deal for me, but coming from a 2011 MBP I would say there is definitely a noticeable reduction in size and weight on the 15" rMBP model.

9. NativeTxn macrumors regular

Go 15". I travel some for my job (usually one week every other month or so) and the 15" poses no problems whatsoever. I like it far more than my old 13" HP. Obviously, the 15" rMBP is a bit wider, but in actuality the footprint is not substantially larger, and it is is much thinner.

I love it, and couldn't be happier.

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

We have both me 15" and my wife 13". My take is if you mainly use it at home and travel occasionally go 15" the bigger screen is great. mine was a 27" iMac replacement though. If you are lugging it around all day everyday i would go the 13".
    But then my wife likes her 13" because she moves it all around the house and mine mainly sits in my office 90% of the time.

Its a tough call their both great. My next one would be a 512 instead of a 256gb for sure.

----------

Yep it all works great together. We switched to Apple about 5 years ago. We have MBPr's, iMac, iPhones, iPads. ATV, AE.
    Your in trouble now you have started lol.

I sold a late 09 27" iMac last week for $950, paid $2200 for it, had 4 years use out of it and cost me $6.50 a week. Actually less as i claim $200 tax back. Try doing that with a PC:)

11. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I chose the 15" because I wanted a bigger screen. As for portability, it's the lightest laptop I've ever had - very easy to carry around. I looked at both versions before making my decision and I stuck with the 15" simply for the fact that it's a bigger screen, and yes, 2" does make a difference. The 13" looked a tad bit too small for my taste, but that's just me. The bigger, the better! Either way you go, you will have a great computer in your hands :)

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seeing as you are using a networked drive, I'd highly recommend using it for Time Machine. The look on people's faces when I demonstrate recovering a file in the "I know it was in this location last week" scenario is crazy, like its the greatest thing since sliced bread. In the case of a failed drive, it couldn't get any simpler for the average user.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

14. Robster3 macrumors 68000

really

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Actually how you restore (and how straightforward it is), is the most important part of a backup solution....

For the casual/home user (or anyone wanting a simple life), this shouldn't be underestimated...

16. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Nice story. Welcome to the club. I encounter many Mac bashers in my daily travels, I wish they'd just use a Mac for a week -- after that, they have a license to bash. But, I'm sure many of Apple's deepest adversaries will find something or another to like about the Retina MacBooks, given they are not hopelessly biased against Apple.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Welcome to the Mac Family :D

Glad you got a bit of a price break on getting the rMBP.

I've seen threads here and elsewhere about Chrome causing some instabilities, I'd stick with Safai.

18. IronManFanatic, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

IronManFanatic macrumors newbie

Why 512GB? If you have networked drives, you should just dump heavy multimedia on there. I don't really see the point in having heaps of secondary storage unless you're the type who loves to store everything in one location (which is still pretty risky, if you don't keep backups elsewhere).

256GB should be plenty for today's everyday user. More and more services are becoming cloud based any ways. 240GB usable is more than most people think, unless you're a Film Producer or Editor.

I saved AUD $418.20 by going with 256GB less of SSD storage, 200MHz less on the CPU, and 100MHz less on the Iris 5100 graphics. (The tiny increases in clock speeds are negligible). I couldn't value spending that much on merely an extra 256GB of PCI-e SSD. Sure it's faster, but how much do you really need to access in a single session away from home? Not much. If you have really important files and can't fit them on your primary drive, surely they'd be on a cloud service somewhere. (provided you don't deal with a lot of multimedia -which goes back to my first point, how much content can you consume in one sitting away from home -lol). External USB 3.0 drives are cheap as dirt today (2TB is ~ AUD $200-220), and you can easily bring them with you on long trips away from home.

tl;dr: So unless you're in Michael Bay's role or something similar, you'll most easily get away with something less than 512GBs.

19. psik macrumors 6502

You have already had a few beach balls on it in just one week, what's going on!

20. AppleWindowsFan macrumors member

I used to be the same way, but when I made the transition in August, I haven't looked back.

I still use my Windows desktop sometimes, but I'm on my Macbook more. It just runs smoother.

21. nealh macrumors 6502

I love the rMBP, you never seen a BSOD.

I have never walked in the store and ever been given a discount on anything. Dang.

Congrats and you made the perfect choice for you!

22. philxor macrumors regular

I love the rMBP, I've been using my 13" for about two weeks now. However I've been a Mac user since the original Macbook Pro in 2006. I wish the screen was a little less glossy but i can certainly live with that.

As for Safari vs. Chrome I haven't noticed much difference with either one with regards to battery life or smoothness in scrolling. Both are pretty much the same for me. Going back and forth in forums like this one is definitely faster in Chrome than Safari and is one of the reasons why I prefer it.

23. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Macs don't produce BSoDs, the kernel panic screen doesn't overfill you with information... Actually it doesn't fill you with anything but to shut the computer down.

I've rarely had BSoDs on my PCs, though I use Mac at home and windows at work, I still use a Windows virtual machine on my mac

24. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

Enjoy the current OS X UI untill it is replaced by flat neon garbage.

25. nealh macrumors 6502

I can't say I have a lot of BSOD on Win & but it occasionally occurs. I have had my rMBP almost 1 year and never had it shut down from a kernel issue.

I use parallels as well, works great.