My Ongoing iPhone Horror Story

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by capitanbuzo, Aug 15, 2008.

1. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Well, this is part three in my iPhone horror story saga.

Here is a recap of what has happened up until now. I am using the original iPhone that I bought back in September of last year. I have never had to do a hard reset or had any problems with it. It is running 2.0.1 on iTunes 7.7.1 on a MBP running 10.5.4. August 6th, my phone hung on the Maps app that was included with the phone. I then proceeded to do a soft reset. Nothing out of the ordinary. Remember that little Apple logo that displays when you turn on the phone? Well, my phone can't get past that anymore. So, being normal and thinking, "A hard reset using iTunes must be able to fix this", I went to plug my phone into iTunes. Well guess what. iTunes becomes non-responsive when my iPhone is plugged in. iPhoto recognizes it, but not iTunes. So, I hold down the home button and plug it in. Nothing. I take out the sims card, hold down the home button, and plug it in. Nothing. I create a new user on my computer. Nothing. I delete iTunes and download it again from apple.com/itunes. Nothing. Then on August 9th, I drive an hour to the local Apple store for my appointment. The genius there says his computer can recognize it so it's my computer's fault. I need to do an archive and install on my computer. He hands me my iPhone which he just restored on a modified copy of iTunes, and I go home to restore it to a previous backup.

The backup went fine. I think no problem. Silly me, I tried to make a phone call and what do you know. My iPhone froze on the phone app. Guess what else? My iPhone won't go pass that Apple insignia. So now that I can say I have been thorough, I try to restore it on a MB, MBP, a Windows Xp, and a Windows XP MEdia Center 2005 computer. On the Macs, iTunes is non-responsive. On the Windows, I get an error code. So, Apple appointment for August 12. I go in there and I finally got a new iPhone.

Think I am done yet? Nope. I go home to restore my new iPhone and iTunes says my backup is corrupt. Great! I set it up as a new phone and delete the corrupt backup. This phone was still a little iffy. It quit apps and restarted once or twice but always went right back to running fine. Today, I plug my iPhone into my computer and start to backup the data. Before it does anything, it says there are error codes and want to send them to Apple. Curious to see what they are, I click show details. In that batch, there are at least 75 error codes with a folder called "panic" with at least 20 errors in there. This is on a 3 day old iPhone and even my old iPhone never had shown me error codes the previous 11 months I have had it. I send in the error codes and proceed with the phone for the day. I come home and plug it back into iTunes. I leave the room for about five minuted and guess what I am welcomed back to? Yes, thats right. My iPhone is sitting in its cradle resetting itself. I pray that it will boot up but no luck. I'm stuck with another broken iPhone.

Here I am now thinking, "What the heck is going on". I really do not want to reinstall my OS again but I plan on it and just loading iTunes on it with all my previous iTunes stuff and bring the computer with me for my new appointment on Monday. I just don't know what is happening. Now, what is the problem? My only thought now is that it is one of the apps in it. Though, the error codes were only for Apple apps.

Can I have any advice here? I am sick and tired of waiting days for an appointment and then spending hours driving down there and back. If I call up the Apple store, is it possible to move up my appointment to any cancelations? Do I have any options available to me? This will be my second replacement iPhone if I get it and third overall in a little over a week. The Apple support reps feel sorry for me after reading my ongoing case number but still haven't gotten any resolution to this problem.

This has been a long post but thanks for the help.

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

When i made an appt with the genius bar for 430pm i showed up at 230 to shop around the mall. Went to apple store first and was there maybe 5 mins at 230 and got bumped up 2 hours.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Wow dude. This is really messed up. I would suggest taking the computer and the iPhone to the genius bar and then maybe they can solve something.

4. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Like I said, the only thing that I can think of is that a third party application is doing something to corrupt the phone's data which causes the phone to hang.

5. Doju macrumors 68000

Oh my god.

I have the exact same problem. I even posted a topic about it about a week ago, with no luck. :/

First, my iPod Touch had this problem. No good. I then switch to solely using my iPhone, slightly annoyed, and then I try to load the settings application three times in a row, the third it crashes and tries to reboot, and doesn't reboot in fifteen minutes. I'm sort of angry, and as with my touch it won't recognize it in iTunes (but it still syncs my pictures I took?).

Gah, this sucks. I virtually can't do anything, my warranty is still active on the iPhone, so I'll just replace it I guess. :/

6. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I have already replaced my iPhone once and the problem keeps happening. I'm worried it will happen again on my third iPhone.

7. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

This happened with my ipod touch.

It is somthing with your itunes or the computer not your iphone or any apps. I fixed this by restoring on my dad's computer and setting up as a new ipod.

This worked for me :eek:

8. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I already have done an archive install on my computer. That should have solved the problem. I am going to do a full install and only have iTunes running. The other thing is is that if it is my iTunes, why won't it work on a different Mac or 2 different Windows computers?

9. Doju macrumors 68000

Went to a Rogers Store today and they gave me a brand new one, but instead of the 8GB one I gave to them earlier in the week, they gave me a 16GB (black) to compensate for the error.

Good stuff. 8) <3 Rogers

10. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I am on the old iPhone so they only give me the old stock. Went back today for the third time and am on my third iPhone. Once again, they didn't know what the problem is but just gave me a new phone instead. I am not satisfied as the last time they did that my phone still broke. I guess it was a waste bringing in my MBP then. After all of this I started to think of what the problem actually is. After plugging in my now dead second iPhone, it asked me to update to 2.0.1 so I did but it did not download a new firmware. This made me think that the firmware is corrupt as I didn't have any problems with my first iPhone til i downloaded 2.0.1. I am planning on keeping this new iPhone on 1.1.4 and not using any third party apps I bought until later to rule out my computer and hope that 2.0.2 will not cause me any harm. I just wish I could have gotten a free upgrade to the old iPhone 16GB as I went through hours of phone calls, driving, time at the Apple store, and over a week without a phone.

11. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

My "Ongoing iPhone Horror Story" is the exorbitant monthly charges I have to pay to at&t....which I equate to be a form of violation.

12. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

The phone is finally working now but under 1.1.4. I think the problem was a corrupt download of 2.0.1.

13. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Guess what happened again? My iPhone broke again! Same problem and Apple will probably continue to give horrible support.