My ongoing problem with my rMBP and Apple Support

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by axlvtt, Aug 6, 2012.

1. axlvtt macrumors member

*warning, this is a bit long!*

I ordered my BTO rMBP on the 13th of June, and received it on the 17th of July. After a couple days of using it, I noticed that my screen would flicker every once in a while (happens when I download a file or play a video). Here is a video recording that I took:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KVesfEA22g

On the 20th, I called Applecare and we did some troubleshooting (resetting the laptop, etc...) but it didn't fix anything. I tried using different browsers, reinstalling the OS, and even upgrading to ML but nothing fixed it. So I called Apple again around the 24th, and the guy told me that it was obviously DOA and that I could get a replacement, but I would have to talk to someone else who would give me a call later that day. The call never happened. So on the 26th (9 days after I received it, so well within my 14-day return period) I gave them another call and asked for a replacement because my system was DOA. They told me they couldn't give me a replacement, but I could send it in for repair work. I was pretty displeased, but I figured that everything else but the video card was perfect, and a replacement meant that I could receive a computer with other issues, so I just stopped complaining and accepted the repair offer.

Here is the ridiculous part. They told me that someone would come to pickup my computer, and I should just give him the laptop itself, without the box that it came with. No cables, no accessories, just the computer. I was concerned about possible damage during transit, but they told me that the guy would have his own box. 3 days later the guy shows up on my doorstep with no box. I asked him about the box, and he told me that it was in the truck. Again, I figured Apple knew what they were doing so I just handed
    him my computer. Now the waiting began.

I get a call a week later. Apple tells me that they couldn't find anything wrong with the computer. Obviously, there is a problem because of the flickering. They told me that they could keep testing it, or they could just send it back to me. I told him that I didn't want a faulty computer, and he said that they would keep testing it. I asked them what would happen if their "tests" didn't find anything, and he says that they would just send the unit back to me. I think that's unacceptable. I know for a fact that my computer shouldn't flicker like that. Something is obviously wrong, and I feel that I should have gotten a replacement in the first place. Am I in the wrong here? I paid a lot of money and all I am asking for is a problem-free computer. I could really use some advice here. What's my next move? Oh, I'm also in Japan using their English support line. Thanks for reading!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I watched the video you posted and I have to wonder if that is the kind of artifacts you might see when it switches from one to the other. I've never owned a MBP with dual graphics cards, so I'm unsure.

If that isn't normal, just ask to speak with a supervisor OR be transferred to tier 2 tech support. Ask the person you're speaking with to watch the video you created to verify the problem. Mention that the first person you talked to confirmed that you could exchange for a new computer because your original was DOA. Just be polite but firm, you did spend a lot of money.

3. axlvtt thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded that program that lets me choose which video card I wanted to use. I went back and forth and I didn't get any of the flickering that I do like in that video I recorded.

Thanks for your advice though. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what happens.

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Ince they confirm the issue you can get a replacement. Talk to another apple representative. I don't understand why they would make you send it in rather than taking to to the apple store. Unless you don't have one near you?

But you SHOULD get a replacement once they confirm it's an issue.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That flicker does look like a hardware problem. Hopefully you can get it sorted out quickly.

6. axlvtt thread starter macrumors member

*update*

So I got in touch with Apple Support and after going back and forth for the last 2 hours, they finally approved me for a replacement, but told me it would take 2-3 weeks. Again, I told them that doesn't make much sense because on their website, they say 5-7 days (remember, I had to wait over a month to receive my rMBP). Apparently the online Apple store guy is supposed to call me within 48 hours to give me instructions. The only thing that worries me is that if they just send me a refurbished model as my replacement, which would really be the last straw for me. I hope I've been approved for a new replacement.

7. PS65 macrumors 6502

Mac replacements won't be a refurb. You'll get a brand new machine all boxed.

8. axlvtt thread starter macrumors member

Good to know. Thanks!