Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewtm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I just got my iPhone 6 in space gray and I'm in love. Such a perfect size for me. The only problem is I got 16 Gb. I didn't think it was going to be a problem until I saw, even with just a few apps downloaded and 0 pictures/video, I'm already at 9 gb left! I think I'm going to go ahead and swap out my 16 for a 64.

Does anyone know where I can do this WITHOUT going through iPhone 6 withdraw for 7-10 business days? Lol
(Note: there is no apple retail store near me)

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I just got my iPhone 6 in space gray and I'm in love. Such a perfect size for me. The only problem is I got 16 Gb. I didn't think it was going to be a problem until I saw, even with just a few apps downloaded and 0 pictures/video, I'm already at 9 gb left! I think I'm going to go ahead and swap out my 16 for a 64.

Does anyone know where I can do this WITHOUT going through iPhone 6 withdraw for 7-10 business days? Lol

The wait and extra $100 is definitely worth the 64gb. I personally fill over 16gb, but never hit 64gb, so it feels good to know that I'll always have enough space to use. I say go for it :D If it makes you feel better, just think of other people who are going to wait for a month+ for their phones. lol

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014

9GB left is great compared to where I'm at. With zero music and zero pictures I'm at 4.3GB left, I have 97 Apps and 1.9GB being taken up by text messages.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
ios8 is hog. 5Gb is big. they can make that ish smaller. take out a few apps that you don't need.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
If I were you I would choose the 128GB version. Sooner or later you will need more space.

What some people is doing is to buy more icloud space, that is the only solution to buy a new phone.

andrewtm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
The wait and extra $100 is definitely worth the 64gb. I personally fill over 16gb, but never hit 64gb, so it feels good to know that I'll always have enough space to use. I say go for it :D If it makes you feel better, just think of other people who are going to wait for a month+ for their phones. lol

Ah yes it's definitely worth it but it's just the withdraw from the phone I just got and fell in love with and reverting back to an iPhone 5 for a week or so. Don't know if I can do that. Maybe I'll call Apple tomorrow

----------

9GB left is great compared to where I'm at. With zero music and zero pictures I'm at 4.3GB left, I have 97 Apps and 1.9GB being taken up by text messages.

Wow that's crazy! Text messages always take up so much for me too especially with pictures being sent in group messages all the time! Are you considering exchanging for a 64 gb too?

----------

Also, does the 64GB model run faster? I know RAM is what really controls how fast apps open and such but a higher capacity iPhone has to have some influence in how quickly apps open and lag and such?

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Wow that's crazy! Text messages always take up so much for me too especially with pictures being sent in group messages all the time! Are you considering exchanging for a 64 gb too?

Yeah, probably going to switch from the 16GB 6+ to a 64GB 6.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

----------

Also, does the 64GB model run faster? I know RAM is what really controls how fast apps open and such but a higher capacity iPhone has to have some influence in how quickly apps open and lag and such?

No. The 16GB/64GB would be equivalent to the HDD/SDD in a computer, not the RAM in the computer. All of the iPhone 6/6+ configurations have 1GB of memory. Some tests have shown that the 6 is slightly faster than the 6+ in some tests, but in other areas the 6+ has a noticeable advantage.

andrewtm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Yeah, probably going to switch from the 16GB 6+ to a 64GB 6.

I love the size of the 6, bigger than I thought but it's truly a perfect size for a phone. I just called Apple and, since there's no retail store near me, I would have to ship it back to Apple, wait for my eligibility to be reset, and then order another one. I feel like it's just not worth it, maybe I'll invest in iCloud photo space :p

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I can only imagine the value of the iPhone 6/6+ 16gb when the next iPhone is released a year from now.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I love the size of the 6, bigger than I thought but it's truly a perfect size for a phone. I just called Apple and, since there's no retail store near me, I would have to ship it back to Apple, wait for my eligibility to be reset, and then order another one. I feel like it's just not worth it, maybe I'll invest in iCloud photo space :p

So Apple will accept returns in store if pre-ordered online? Would make returning my 6+ much easier than having to ship it back.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach

i did the IOS 8 update on a 16GB iPad mini that my kids share and i had to delete every app first, it left me with under 4GB to add apps, not good - i am pretty dispointed w/apple for even bothering to offer the 16GB, we all know the entry level should have been 32GB no question

----------

So Apple will accept returns in store if pre-ordered online? Would make returning my 6+ much easier than having to ship it back.

totally!!

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
456195d1410358966-lose-vs-loose-cant-figure-out-ed9e649553bdfd305987604192fbcb6d.jpg

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach

you could request an exception, speak to a manager be honest, explain and see if they will help you, as long as you bought from apple, they are very helpful

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Weird, their website says they don't accept iPhone returns in store if they were ordered on Apple.com. I'm on hold now with Apple to confirm.

i asked both the store and apple.com b/c i have apple gift cards, both said no problem to return + re buy in store

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
I feel your pain. I had been walking around with a 16GB ip5 for 20 months, and it was killing me. I couldn't believe it when they announced and the low-end was at 16GB. In my mind, it's unusable. I spent countless, countless hours deleting stuff to make room to take pics or a video, and then re-installing apps after I had saved my photos. It's crazy, and a huge bummer.

If I were you, I'd just use the phone, buy the upgraded model, and sell your 16GB later. You'll eat the $100 price diff between 16 and 64, and probably $100-150 when you sell the phone, but you can hang on to this phone till the new one gets here.

edenbensal

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2012
How much free space do yo have on the iPhone 6 16GB when unboxing the device (without install any app or transfer music/pic etc...)?

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
I'm in a similar situation... I got lucky with a store pickup last night but they only had the Plus in 16gb.

Really think I need 64gb. I'm not a heavy storage guy but I know I don't want to deal with deleting pics and songs on a weekly basis haha

I may cancel this store pickup and save the gas money (the store is like an hour away from me lol). Just wait it out for the 64gb I guess

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
i asked both the store and apple.com b/c i have apple gift cards, both said no problem to return + re buy in store

I was also able to confirm with my local Apple store that yes, you can return a web order to the store directly. :)

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
I'm in a similar situation... I got lucky with a store pickup last night but they only had the Plus in 16gb.

Really think I need 64gb. I'm not a heavy storage guy but I know I don't want to deal with deleting pics and songs on a weekly basis haha

I may cancel this store pickup and save the gas money (the store is like an hour away from me lol). Just wait it out for the 64gb I guess

i am coming from 16GB iPhones as well but i did get a 64GB for the 6+ - if i were you i would do the 64GB, after my experience with a brand new iPad mini 16GB which has no email, no pics, nothing but the apple apps - only has iTunes match on right now and i have 3+GB left......

if you bought from apple, i spoke with them yesterday about a few things, they said you can always exchange when they get stock but you must have it noted on your account

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I feel your pain. I also thought 16 GB was gonna be enough And after i got it I realized I wanted the 64Gb iphone 6. I was on vacation in Florida (I did in store pick up) and im now on my way back home! I was hoping I could exchange it at an Apple Store in jacksonville, but no luck! There was a line of about 40 ppl waiting to get inside, Im gonna have to drive for 2 hours and go to an Apple Store in Atlanta :( I'm so mad at myself for not buying the 64gb!

Sakura Squirrel

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I still have a 4S with 64GB and it's not enough for me, I'm always deleting stuff to make room.

128Gb is an absolute no brainer for me.

I'm still using the old 6th generation nano with 16GB and I find it incredibly frustrating having to edit the contents all the time and that doesn't even support apps. I can't imaging buying a phone with that little memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.