My only wish for iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Is for Apple to disable vertical video recording.

It seriously takes the jelly out of my donut how people cannot figure this simple thing. Hold the damn phone horizontally!

Why did Apple allow vertical video recording in the first place? I really hope they take away that option and only record videos in horizontal orientation.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I wish that they enable Landscape video recording while the iPhone is held in portrait mode. A simple button toggle.

3. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

That cannot happen, unless the sensor gets rotated 90 degrees.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Exactly.

5. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

I'm hoping Apple adds features, and you're hoping they restrict features. Let's hope they doesn't split the difference and do absolutely nothing. :eek:

As much as I despise vertical videos myself, it would be as odd to disable them as it would be to prevent all iPhones from playing a certain genre of music one finds distasteful.

6. scupking macrumors 6502a

Yeah that would be nice my wife only takes videos and pictures in portrait mod. I tell her to take them in landscape and she's like why would I do that, phones are meant to be vertical. Oh we'll lol.

7. Truthfulie macrumors regular

People insist on taking it vertically even when there are people being cropped off the sides. (They step back instead.) Perhaps the camera app can suggest using it landscape mode first few times.

8. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I think this would be the best solution. Instead of restricting users, just subtly remind them that they should switch orientation

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

It would be better to have the option to toggle Landscape lock for all iPhone operations.

10. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

A simple animation shown or text pop up to show the phone rotating would be effective.

I remember my LG Voyager would show an animation and text telling you to rotate the phone into landscape to take videos. It didn't have an orientation sensor though, so if you did take it wrong, it would be sideways. Lol.

11. cynics macrumors G4

Maybe I'm not thinking about it clearly enough but could it just record 16:9 even when held vertically?

The display would have black bars top and bottom like when watching a 16:9 video in portrait.

Basically starting the video in 16:9 regardless of the orientation held.

12. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

A painful shock built in to the phone would soon teach them how to hold it right.

13. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I would have gone the positive reinforcement route ;) Guarantee more likes/views on landscape oriented video

14. APlotdevice, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You can crop the video. And in theory they could employ a square sensor.

Now all that said, I do NOT agree with completely disabling vertical recording. It does have a certain limited usefulness, especially when a phone or tablet is the intended playback devices. Frankly it ticks me off that Google's YouTube app doesn't support full-screen vertical playback like the old one did.