My Opinion on Holding off on Buying any Intel Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by finalcoolman, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

    Apr 15, 2005
    In my opinion, if you don't NEED a computer right now, do not buy an Intel Mac until Leapord. Why? I believe Intel on Tiger is half ***ed. It is almost like a bandaid fix to get it on Intel. In my opinion the full functionality of Intel on Mac will be realized with Leopard since that will be the first OS actually designed for Intel. Even bootcamp is now beta but a final reliable build will be delivered with Leopard. Plus by buying a machine with Leapord preinstalled you will not be getting a rev. A Intel Mac. In fact I would almost recommend getting a PowerPC Mac (new or used) until Leopard comes out but right now the best option is still to not buy any Mac. So if you have the patience and what you need to get by until then (not what you WANT), hold your wallets.
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    Hmm, good advice. But there are people who've been waiting years for a new computer... if the iMac or 15-inch fit the bill, I say buy.
  3. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a


    Dec 25, 2005
    So then the question becomes: When is Leopard going to come out?

    Any chance it may appear this calendar year?
  4. buffalo macrumors 65816

    Jun 5, 2005
    Colorado Springs / Ohio
    I don't think we'll know that until MW in August.
  5. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

    Mar 10, 2006
    Hmm..i thought tiger was universal since day one?
  6. StealthRider macrumors 65816


    Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    You're wrong, Coolman. This isn't the Mac OS 10.2.7 update for the G5 - it's not a few instruction sets tacked on at the last minute. Mac OS X has been totally native on the Intel processor since before the Public Beta, if Steve is to be trusted. You'll probably see the same speed increases as usual in OS X updates...I don't think there are any problems other than with drivers that need to be worked out.
  7. danny_w macrumors 601

    Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I just bought a 1 yr. old 15" PowerBook 1.5GHz that should last me for quite some time. I got hooked on Macs a year ago with the mini, and wanted something to replace that and also offer portability when I need it, but without spending a fortune in the process. This pb for $1000 will hold me quite well until I can afford a $2-3k MBP that is not the initial revision.
  8. ITASOR macrumors 601


    Mar 20, 2005
    I think that sounds like a good plan. :)
  9. devilot Moderator emeritus


    May 1, 2005
    I'm not sure how much I believe everything you've stated, finalcoolman, but at least it helps a little bit to ease my lust for those intel iMacs. :eek:
  10. The Senator macrumors regular

    The Senator

    Feb 18, 2006
    so i guess coolman has an intelmac, and has used it a lot to make such a statement
  11. Etrain macrumors 6502


    Feb 26, 2005
    Land of Cleve
    I bought my iMac G5 last May and would buy it all over again. I have no need for a new computer obviously, but even if I did I would not buy an Intel Mac now. I got some really good reasons:

    1. Programs which are not universal run significantly slower on the new Intel Macs. This will obviously change as more programs become universal, but the full transition may take awhile.

    2. These are Rev. A products. It seems Rev. A products are more susceptible to problems.

    3. The PPC is by no means obsolete. Outdated sure but not obsolete. Apple will continue to offer software for them for the next few years.

    Remember when the new iMac G5 came out how it seemed nobody wanted the iMac G4 anymore? The same is happening right now with everyone trying to sell their iMac G5s for the new Intel iMacs. If you look on eBay now though for a iMac G4 they are getting allot of $ for them! The same will happen with the iMac G5 after about 2 years.

    If I was in the market to purchase a new computer I would get an iMac G5 iSight. You can get them cheap and they are super fly.

    The way I look at it is when I am ready for a new computer in about 2 years I will be able to buy about a Rev.E Mac Book. :)
  12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    Good plan my man. Rev. E in two years though, Apple has their work cut out for them.

    I think this wraps up my thoughts on a 12-inch PowerBook. It's still a great machine. A G4 with Apple's design is still better than a Core Duo PC with poor design.

    Design is timeless. :)
  13. Etrain macrumors 6502


    Feb 26, 2005
    Land of Cleve
    Yup, Steve will make it happen.:) Okay, maybe like Rev. C.
  14. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

    Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Does anyone have any idea of what specs leopard will run comfortably on?

    I mean, if you had the new intel iMac maxed out today, will leopard run fine on that? or do you need big processor increases etc..

    kinda like the new vista pc specs
  15. miniConvert macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    o_O But OS X was designed for Intel, Tiger too, at least as much as it was designed for PPC. That's if we believe what Steve Jobs said, anyway, with all the stuff about them having OS X on Intel for five years already.

    I understand that people will always pick and choose their reasons why to buy or not to buy a product, but waiting on anything else other than actual functionality is a bit crazy IMHO.
  16. sunfast macrumors 68020


    Oct 14, 2005
    Exactly what I plan to do! (But really so I don't have to fork out for Leopard by buying now and upgrading later)
  17. XP Defector macrumors 6502

    Apr 5, 2006
    So we will not know for certain when these new MacBook Pro's with Leopard + Menom Processors are due?
  18. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

    Oct 5, 2002
    An awesome place
    I've been using this half assed Tiger for a few months now, and wow. It is a rock solid half assed system, way better than my daughter's Windows XP SP2 gaming PC.

    I can't wait until Apple puts more emphasis on Intel Tiger.:)

Share This Page