My opinion on iPhone OS 4 after watching the developer preview.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Naethyn, May 31, 2010.

1. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

I think that with the introduction to the iPhone 3GS multitasking software that I will begin to stop jailbreaking my software. I have the ability to get an iPhone 3GS for fifty United States dollars and I plan on taking this to an advantage, with the fact that the developer preview was very exciting and included everything that I use my redsn0w (in better terms) i-Faux-n to do.

I honestly think that with the new APIs and the new SDK features that jailbreaking your iPhone will become obsolete. Then again, I think that Apple should allow Cydia to be an AppStore app and allow the user to (AT THEIR OWN RISK) to change the software via Cydia.

With my current iPhone 3G not being able to get OS 4's multitasking that is pretty much a dealbreaker and I'll end up getting a later model. The iPhone 4th Generation doesn't really interest me because a flash on the back of the phone and new and enhanced look is not really what I am looking for.

What I never knew and wish someone had told me, is that there is a tap to focus feature on the Camera App, however this doesn't work on Video Camera but if you tap the screen you have focused the camera.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Tap to focus for the video camera is coming in 4.0.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Less people may jailbreak their phones, but OS4 will not make it obsolete. Don't think what steve is giving you is multitasking, you'll still be able to do more with a JB'd phone then what apple is providing

4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It's multitasking for me. I only care about the 7 multitasking API's so it will work great for what I need.

5. Naethyn thread starter macrumors regular

Naethyn

The seven APIs for Multitasking are what I need I dont need complete backgrounding with Backgrounder, and what Steve is using for the OS 4 is all I need,

6. angevil macrumors regular

Who would want multiple apps running at the same time using the battery and CPU if you don′t use them?? Do you have some weird example? This is just stupid. Apple did a great job with multitasking on iPhone and those multitasking services that they are offering are all that is needed.

7. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Jailbreaking offers so much more than just multitasking. Something as simple as SBsettings and Apple still can't do it.

8. JoEw macrumors 65832

JoEw

ok please name one thing that you will be using with multitasking that apple 7 apis dont cover? It's not real multitasking and thats a good thing i don't want my battery being drained in 4 hours like my old 3g with backgrounder.

9. rkswat macrumors regular

Why does it matter? Why do you care? You won't be using multi tasking (jailbroken version) so you really don't need to worry about any one else using it. I WILL still jailbreak for many other things that 4.0 won't do and continue to make MY iPhone MINE.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I'm hoping Apple surprises us on the 7th with a new lock screen in 4.0. Still can't believe they've hardly touched it since 1.0, it really needs an overhaul, and it would get rid of a big reason for jailbreaking.

11. victoria01 macrumors newbie

The new iPhone OS 4 adds home screen folders, a unified e-mail in-box, and, for some, multitasking.iPhone OS 4 is the next generation of the world's most innovative mobile operating system. Its unique capabilities and new technologies will change what you call.

12. wkdtime macrumors newbie

Lol. Where can I sign? Your an Apple rep right?

13. shazzam macrumors regular

As a 3G owner OS4 gives me more incentive to jailbreak. And it's not even multitasking, that I understand, but why can't I have a freaking wallpaper?

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

There is wallpaper in 4.0.

15. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

This is one of the features that I missed on my 3GS when I switched from Blackberry, so I'm glad to see Apple is adding this to the new OS.

16. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

Not for 3G.

Jailbroken 3.x > OS 4. I'll only be upgrading when OS 4 is JB'd.

17. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Ha. That's bizarre. I wonder what their reasoning is. 3G doesn't have the memory?? :rolleyes: Maybe it will be fixed in the final version. Well, the good news is 4.0 is already jailbroken, and this is how you enable wallpaper.

BTW, that person you responded to is a spambot.

18. Padraig macrumors 6502a

I keep harping on about this and notifications.

19. JoEw macrumors 65832

JoEw

i'm not saying you shouldnt jailbreak i was making the argument that people always say well "it's not real multitasking" even though it performs everything multitasking should do minus effect on battery.

20. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I'm still unclear on one point. Will the new OS have the ability to customize the lock screen so you can see more than just the most recent push notification? I would almost go through the hassle of jail breaking the phone just for that one feature, tethering would be a nice option if I get an iPad.

I know many of you are developers and are already running some version of OS4. Can you clear this up for me?

If not hopefully that will be one of the "wow" parts on the 7th (one week away!!)

21. DrCheese macrumors member

IRC apps. They wouldn't really work with the notification system or the new multitasking system. IRC is totally different than standard IM

22. iPhone3Gusr macrumors member

iPhone3Gusr

it doesnt make any sense to me on why a simple feature of enabling background wallpaper wont be available on the 3G.

23. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

If you jailbreak you lose the magic. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO LOSE THE MAGIC!?

But seriously, I was really exited until Jobs started going on about iAds.
    A system-wide advertisement API that has the power to lock your device until you interact/acknowledge the ad? I don't think so Steve.

24. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I'm most looking forward to orientation lock. I am sick of lying in bed and having to tilt my phone to get it back to landscape. Drives me insane! :mad: