My OS is getting sticky and slow...should I reinstall?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by chrf097, Jun 17, 2012.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

My Late 2011 Entry Level 13" MacBook Pro is just getting really icky and slow. Many apps are glitching, programs like Safari and iTunes are having a hard time (iTunes is requiring a force quit to close, Safari can't handle flash content very well) and it's becoming annoying. I'm pretty much thinking that at this point I should do a complete reinstall of my OS.

I have my music library backed up as well as my copies of CS5.5 & Office 2011, which are my two critical apps, so I am prepared.

My question is, I've never really reinstalled a Mac OS before. Is it as easy as Windows? Am I also taking the proper approach, or should I try something else before I do a full reinstall?

2. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

Before reinstalling, try a complete system cleaning with Onyx (free). It clears caches, repairs file permissions, deletes logs and re-creates search indexes.

Also, be sure to backup before using Onyx.

Onyx

3. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

Save all of your files and take out you install Disk and stick it in your computer and hold down C while booting.

IF you do not have disks with your mac hold down R while you are booting,

You will want to open up disk ult from the menu bar and format your drive. (Don't bother with secure whipe because your just reinstalling the OS)

Its not to hard if you can read.

The best thing for any computer is to be reinstalled every two years.

A clean install will do you better in the long run if you don't mind seting up and what not again.

Honsitly for a first time mac user, Do it in the first year,just to start fresh