My overview of the new MBP range :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mike.coulter, Apr 13, 2010.

1. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

Well it seems that Apples inevitable update has finally arrived. I was searching around (as per usual) the internet and suddenly came across a Mac forum that I visit regularly, with much hype that the Apple Store was down. But it wasn't down due to server issues, you see, when Apple decide to shut their online store, it's them adding something new to the store, releasing something better. And when the store surfaced again an hour or so later, lo and behold, new Macbook Pro range!

[​IMG]

I'm a long time admirer of the MBP range and this update seems as good as any. Mainly just speed boosts but for the first time ever, mobile i5 and i7 processors in a Mac laptop. Blistering speed is certainly guaranteed.

[​IMG]
    The 13" MBP now comes with either a 2.4GHz or a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo processor. Which is odd seeing as the rest of the range went with the 'i series' processors, you'd expect this to carry an i3. But no matter, the Core 2 Duo's are excellent little things, offering more battery time and less heat. Whilst still being able to scream along and run pretty much anything you'll ever need. It also now comes with a Nvidia GeForce 320M rather than the previous 9400M.

And somehow, the little wizards at Apple, despite it's rahter acceptable graphics abilities and it's excellent processor options, have managed to squeeze 10 hours of battery life out of it! That's a good deal more than the previous 7 hours. Makes my laptops 1 hour 40 minutes look rather pathetic...

[​IMG]
    The 15" MBP now comes with a 2.4GHz i5, a 2.53GHz i5 and a 2.66GHz i7 choice to choose from. These processors offer extreme power that's completely unseen by Mac laptop users before. Even thoughthe Core 2 Duo processors are great, these really push the limits. However, as stated before, apparently these use more power and run a lot hotter. And I'd probably prefer something a little more, power friendly and cool. But if that doesn't really bother you, this is the laptop of choice. One of the upgrades is a HD screen, how useful that will be on something with a relatively normal size screen is debatable, but nevertheless, it's available to you should you want one. Although it is a hefty £80 upgrade, or a £120 if you want to add anti-glare to that too. As for graphics, this model comes with an integrated Intel HD card for when you're trying to conserve some power, Nvidia GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB or the Nvidia GeForce GT 330M with 512 MB. Due to the increased power of this laptop, it has a 8 - 9 hour battery time.

[​IMG]
    Next in the range we have the 17" Macbook Pro, the big daddy. Or so I once thought. It seems Apple has gone a but stingy and only given it the i5 as standard. The i7 is available to you but only as a £160 upgrade. And when you're paying £1,899.00 for a laptop, I'd expect it to come with the best hardware available. But, I suppose Apple know that some crazed Apple fans will abide by their possibly mean pricing arrangements and buy the upgrade. But even without, this thing is bound to be super fast. It sports the same Nvidia GeForce GT 330M with 512 MB as the higher end 15" model, which I also find rather odd. It also features a 8 - 9 hour battery time.

Overall, I think I'd go with the 13" model. With either of the Core 2 Duo processors. As for most things you could throw at it, it wouldn't be any problem. And it happens to be a rather travel happy size. But If you're a power user looking for one of the best equipped laptops around, I'd go with the high end 15" model. As it's older brother just seems a bit too... Cumbersome these days.

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Apple chose to use the dual core i7 instead of the quad core version used by most PC manufacturers specifically because it would run cooler and consume less power...same with their choice of the 330M GPU instead of something more powerful...they really thought hard about heat and battery life with these ones. So your statement about the 15" and 17" having low battery life and heat issues is most likely not going to be a valid concern, although nobody has used one yet so I could be completely off base

3. mike.coulter thread starter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

I didn't mean low battery life, just not quite as much as a standard Core 2 Duo. And I've heard that the mobile 'i series' chip-sets run a little warmer too. It's nothing much, just something to perhaps take into consideration. :)