Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

const

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Hello there,

Is there a way to have the same folders (and subfolders) on my iPod as I have in the "my music" folder on my PC?
I cant find my music back on my own iPod becouse now its all rearranged and i've put a lot of effort arranging my own music folder.

A friend told me he just made a playlist for every folder he had, but that would mean to much work. Cant it be done automatically?

(I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, but I still did not found a solution)

Thanks for reading this.

const

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Well... that would be a good reason to hate iPods.
If I knew this, I would never have bought one... :mad:

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Well... that would be a good reason to hate iPods.
If I knew this, I would never have bought one... :mad:

Give it a chance. If your music is well-tagged, it should be just as easy to find. Personally, I used to arrange via folders too, back when I used the PC. However, I now think that navigating via tags is SO much more flexible. Plus, you get the same level of organization you'd have with folders, and you have multiple ways to "drill down" and find what you want.

Tag-based navigation really is better, you just need to give it a chance. And your files need to be well-tagged.

const

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
I've got +/- 40 gig music.
Not all of it is well tagged...
Another thing I hate about iPods is that it cant play mix-cd's without a pause inbetween the numbers...
Omg, i've paid allmost 400 € for it :confused:
That's a good reason to cry... :'(

const

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Evenn a f*king CD-player (invented last century :eek: ) manages to play mix-cd's without pauses...
I'm really going out of my mind.

There is no feature on this piece of junk that can make up these flaws...

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
You just need to mark those mix-cd tracks for gapless playback in iTunes. Then the iPod will play them without pausing.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Another thing I hate about iPods is that it cant play mix-cd's without a pause inbetween the numbers...

The new iPods (5th gen iPods, 2nd gen nanos, 2nd gen shuffles) play gapless just fine (just like iTunes 7), so there's something wrong with those files. Were they, perhaps, ripped off a burned CD that had extra gaps inserted?

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006

I would say it's a good reason to do some research on the product you buy, BEFORE you buy it...! :rolleyes:

That said, szark and killmoms have some good points. Hope you get what you want from your iPod. If not, I'll swap you it for one of my old CD-players ;)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah mate, it's just a different way of arranging things. Hopefully you'll get used to it and grow to like your iPod. To mark tracks as gapless, select them all and then go to Get Info in the File menu. In the bottom right area of the Get Info page you should see a Gapless Album option. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
No worries. I really don't understand why Apple hasn't allowed people to start syncing folders though. I wouldn't have thought it to be all that hard and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't brought out in an iPod firmware update sometime in the future. :)

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I know what you mean. I didn't like my iPod 3G from the beginning. But after I was off sick for three days I took the time to edit my music tags and now I never want to go back and crawl through any folders.

Once you got your tags sorted you will/can enjoy your iPod/iTunes to the fullest.

Good luck!

const

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
There are a lot of things that apple does that i hate (but understand).
Apple wants a share of the software-pie that people use.
an example: Mediaplayer is better then quicktime, it is easyer, faster,...
But if I want to use my iPod, I need to install iTunes.
If I want to use iTunes I need to install quicktime.
If I install quicktime, then my PC suddenly uses quicktime to play videos...
Well, I dont like to use quicktime, i prefer mediaplayer.
The only way not to use quicktime as your player is to de uninstal it...
Makes me pretty nervous.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Makes me pretty nervous.

That shouldn't be the case - the Quicktime installer should ask if you want it to play certain media formats just after it's installed.

You can still change that, without uninstalling Quicktime. In the Quicktime control panel, go to the File Types pane, and uncheck any filetype you don't want Quicktime to handle. I don't know offhand what application will then open those filetypes, but if you right-click on any file you want to open, select "Open with", you have the option to click "Always use the selected program for this kind of file".

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
There are a lot of things that apple does that i hate (but understand).
Apple wants a share of the software-pie that people use.
an example: Mediaplayer is better then quicktime, it is easyer, faster,...
But if I want to use my iPod, I need to install iTunes.
If I want to use iTunes I need to install quicktime.
If I install quicktime, then my PC suddenly uses quicktime to play videos...
Well, I dont like to use quicktime, i prefer mediaplayer.
Makes me pretty nervous.

This kind of nonsense irks me. Stop blaming Apple for your computer illiteracy. QuickTime CLEARLY asks you during installation to configure the media types you want associated with it. Not to mention the fact that, post-install, it's very easy to re-associate file-types to a different application.

OMGS I'M MAD AT APPLE 'CAUSE I DON'T KNOW STUFF! :rolleyes:

const

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
When installing quicktime, it asked me what it needed to play.
I unchecked everything...
When i'm surfing on the internet & want to see a movie (streeming), it does it in... indeed, in quicktime :(
Then I went to the options menu of quicktime and there is only one that u can't uncheck... movies.
Before calling me a PC illiterate, you schould check your statements first.
I use firefox as explorer. normally it downloads movies before opening them, with quicktime this is also often a problem, it wants to play them right away.
By the way, can someone tell me whats better about quicktime then mediaplayer?

Dont think I didnt try any other way then uninstalling it, I realy dont like to reinstall quicktime every time I need iTunes for my iPod.

There may be an other way (wich I apperently dont know), but apple isnt making it easy for people not to use there software.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I agree. QuickTime for Windows is dodgy. As for your problem, can't you change the settings back to Media Player through Change Access And Defaults or something in the Control Panel? :)

const

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
hmm...

I wonder why it's suddenly so quiet around this topic :D
It looks to me that it is taboo to talk about these topics

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
hmm...

I wonder why it's suddenly so quiet around this topic :D
It looks to me that it is taboo to talk about these topics

I can't speak for everybody, but I find it annoying to read long, whiny threads where the OP is clearly complaining about things he/she hasn't taken the time to actually look into.

I'm not going to try to say that Quicktime is better than Windows Media. On Windows I think Windows Media is actually better, on Mac I think Quicktime is far better. (Well, MS dropped development of Windows Media for Mac, but that's another issue...)

However, you had a chance to NOT associate those file types, and you can still go back and unassociate them at any time. You could even sell your ipod and buy a Zune...that sounds like an ideal solution for you.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Can't you just drag the folder into the playlist section of iTunes and then it will create the playlist that you want? Isn't that what you want to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.