Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
My own personal iPhone Xr story

I've had an iPhone since the 3GS, moving onto the 4, skipped the 4S, got the 5, skipped the 5S, got the 6 and then jumped onto the 6S Plus.

Now I have the Xr. I have a pretty good job and I actually am responsible for the design and delivery of the Apple technology at my place of work which accounts for over a thousand Mac's and many hundreds of iPhones and iPads.

I could easily afford the XS or XS Max. But I didn't buy one of those. I wasn't actually in the market for a new phone at all and fully anticipated I'd keep my glorious 6S Plus I bought new only 20 months earlier.

But then I happened to walk by an Apple store and I thought I'd check the new phones out. I wanted something with a screen of a similar size to my plus phone. I'd looked at the XS and there's no denying that's a great well proportioned device but I couldn't live with losing screen estate compared to the plus (technically true) so I took a look at the Max. That is a great device, probably the best on the market. I seriously considered it. Then I thought I'd look at the Xr which had just been released a day earlier. I took a look at the red. I fell in love with it. I'd read about this poor quality screen and huge bezels. Seriously though I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I bought one there and then.

The Xr is a great phone. It's fast, it's got a great camera, a more than good screen, and it looks amazing in red.

I've attached some sample shots from a day out today near my house.

Just one other thing. I mentioned I could afford the XS Max but didn't actually go ahead with it. My reason? I didn't feel it was £350 better than the Xr and I always choose value for money over anything.

I could think of better ways to spend that money. So I did. I set up a regular monthly contribution to the save the children charity for £10 a month.

Why don't you do something amazing today too? Go on, it's almost Christmas.

da6581c64717a6c33336771ef144def0.jpg

cff528eb12a14b58263e2c4e720831b9.jpg

0b2b2c6349939b3ce11632cd51ac6ebf.jpg

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I think with this phone, it’s about perspective. Coming from an iPhone 6s Plus, it’s a fantastic upgrade at a good price.

Personally, I come from the iPhone X, didn’t feel the need to upgrade to the Xs and feel like I still have a superior device compared to the Xr, and it would feel like a downgrade for me. It would be awesome to have my current X in that red color though!

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I agree it would be cool if apple offered all phones in more colors. They would sell a ton of them. The XR is a great device. I had one until my wife wanted it. I needed up getting a gold XS since I have never had gold and wanted to try something different. The XR has excellent battery life for sure. It’s actually amazing. Enjoy your new tech.

Reactions: mjschabow

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I agree it would be cool if apple offered all phones in more colors. They would sell a ton of them.

Although this would seem like the obvious thing but not necessarily how the market generally reacts. Too many choices in the same product category ruins the “exclusive” feeling and this is why Apple never provided too many colours for their flagship models.

These days Samsung is doing exactly the same.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
My own personal iPhone Xr story

I've had an iPhone since the 3GS, moving onto the 4, skipped the 4S, got the 5, skipped the 5S, got the 6 and then jumped onto the 6S Plus.

Now I have the Xr. I have a pretty good job and I actually am responsible for the design and delivery of the Apple technology at my place of work which accounts for over a thousand Mac's and many hundreds of iPhones and iPads.

I could easily afford the XS or XS Max. But I didn't buy one of those. I wasn't actually in the market for a new phone at all and fully anticipated I'd keep my glorious 6S Plus I bought new only 20 months earlier.

But then I happened to walk by an Apple store and I thought I'd check the new phones out. I wanted something with a screen of a similar size to my plus phone. I'd looked at the XS and there's no denying that's a great well proportioned device but I couldn't live with losing screen estate compared to the plus (technically true) so I took a look at the Max. That is a great device, probably the best on the market. I seriously considered it. Then I thought I'd look at the Xr which had just been released a day earlier. I took a look at the red. I fell in love with it. I'd read about this poor quality screen and huge bezels. Seriously though I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I bought one there and then.

The Xr is a great phone. It's fast, it's got a great camera, a more than good screen, and it looks amazing in red.

I've attached some sample shots from a day out today near my house.

Just one other thing. I mentioned I could afford the XS Max but didn't actually go ahead with it. My reason? I didn't feel it was £350 better than the Xr and I always choose value for money over anything.

I could think of better ways to spend that money. So I did. I set up a regular monthly contribution to the save the children charity for £10 a month.

Why don't you do something amazing today too? Go on, it's almost Christmas.

da6581c64717a6c33336771ef144def0.jpg

cff528eb12a14b58263e2c4e720831b9.jpg

0b2b2c6349939b3ce11632cd51ac6ebf.jpg

Same reason for me too. BTW, nice pic of your cute kid.

Reactions: Katvonc and Broadus

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I think with this phone, it’s about perspective. Coming from an iPhone 6s Plus, it’s a fantastic upgrade at a good price.

Personally, I come from the iPhone X, didn’t feel the need to upgrade to the Xs and feel like I still have a superior device compared to the Xr, and it would feel like a downgrade for me. It would be awesome to have my current X in that red color though!

Personally feel XR is an upgrade of X, but to each his own.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009

Went with the XR for three main reasons:
A) was in doubt between screen sizes (XS vs MAX)
B) better battery life
C) savings of $350 between XS 256GB & XR 128GB

If I could ride this phone for 3 years maybe. If MAX had better camera than XS maybe.

But 5G is coming and cameras keep getting better. In two years time I will upgraded and hand my XR down to my son.

It’s a fantastic screen IMO

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I also upgraded from a 6S Plus! My new Product Red XR is simply wonderful too! You have great taste in phones & charities :)

Reactions: Broadus

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

I’m considering tossing my x when a Xr jailbreak comes out all together. Even tho Xr has been my daily since the day it came out

Probably would be good gift card funds to have stashed away for another iPhone upgrade at a later date and time

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I had my first hands on with the XR yesterday & was impressed with it. The three main gripes on here (thickness, screen detail, borders) didn’t bother me. Screen size is fantastic (as I predicted after using a P20 Pro). I couldn’t go bigger myself. If they’d included 3D Touch, it would’ve been a great alternative to the XS & potential option for X owners (though the non-OLED screen would’ve put me off personally).

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Nope. Had the Max for about a month total, but don’t really miss it. Felt like a chump paying all that money for something that wasn’t that much better than XR.

I bought the max on launch day. Used it till the XR came out and thought I'd try it to see if I could save some money by keeping it and selling the Max. I just couldn't stand the poor screen quality. I have had the Note 8 and other high quality screens before the max so I guess I just couldn't go backwards.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I bought the max on launch day. Used it till the XR came out and thought I'd try it to see if I could save some money by keeping it and selling the Max. I just couldn't stand the poor screen quality. I have had the Note 8 and other high quality screens before the max so I guess I just couldn't go backwards.

I have a good friend with a Note 8. Comparing our screens, he preferred the XR.

OP—that’s a great story. It is similar to my reason for getting the XR—it’s a great value and the higher-priced phones aren’t worth the cost difference, IMO. Thanks for sharing it and the photos.

Reactions: JohnnyGo

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
I feel the only people who were claiming the XR screen is a lesser screen were passing judgment based solely on specs alone.

I looked at the XR and Xs side by side the other day. The both looked great. Choosing one over the other would be a tough choice for me. They both look exceptional but not that much different in my opinion. Especially on such a small screen. Now on a 75 inch big screen TV? I think the differences between OLED and LCD/LED would be more obvious.

Your sample photos look very nice.

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
You can't really form an opinion from just looking at the phones. Of course the XR will appear like a nice display (which it is for a lower end LCD) but use a high quality OLED for an extended time and you will see a difference. The LG G7 has an amazing LCD screen Imo

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
You can't really form an opinion from just looking at the phones. Of course the XR will appear like a nice display (which it is for a lower end LCD) but use a high quality OLED for an extended time and you will see a difference. The LG G7 has an amazing LCD screen Imo

I did use the max 2-14 day periods before returning in fav of Xr and the difference is very minimal as a daily driver. Unless you continuously do comparisons. A bit more clarity, vivid or over saturated colors and deeper blacks on OLED. Xr LCD is just fine! I call BS on anyone that would call it lower end. Lower resolution does not equate to lower quality or low end to put it in your words.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I like the XR, it has more than enough features and capabilities to compete against the XS in the average consumers eyes. The only drawback for me, was the Lack of 3D Touch. (And yes, that is a crucial feature for my uses in the iOS experience.)

Reactions: Broadus and I7guy

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I bought the Xs a few weeks back, I really wanted to go with the Xr for the exact reasons the OP did but it was just too big for my hand.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I was comparing the Max to an XR yesterday and for the life of me could not see any clear difference between the screens. I couldn’t see any difference between the XR and my 8+ either. You guys obviously see something but I really don’t see it and that’ll probably be the case for a lot of consumers too.

Reactions: Broadus and OTACORB
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.