My own thoughts/review on the iphone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rooftop voter, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I just figured I'd post my own thoughts about the iphone 4 as an average user. Now by average, I mean I don't know everything about the phone and it's programing, etc. I am a hardcore user though, as far as how much I actually use the device. Since I got the 3gs, it had turned into my primary device for web surfing, email sending, music storage, etc, and is kinda what I base my opinions of the new device on as it takes over the roll the 3gs played. These are my observations and opinions of the device, so take them with a grain of salt.

1) Fit, Finish, and Feel: Everything looks to fit perfectly on the phone, very well meshed together. It looks very sleek and well finished. The volume and sleep buttons have a very positive feel now, as compared to my 3gs. The home button seems the same to me, and I have always liked the feel of the home button. The feel of the phone overall is something that I think is lacking. I know some of you really like slim phones, but to me, the "slimness" Makes it harder to hold comfortably in the hand, esepcially for extended periods as it being so flat makes it harder to find a spot to hold onto. The rounded back of the 3gs seemed to be easier on the hands to hold for a longer amount of time, as it provided a more comfortable area to hold. This phone also feels more delicate when compared to the 3gs. Not saying that it is, as only time will really tell. I know I will be putting my phone in a protective case to be on the safer side.

2) Responsiveness: The phone is more responsive than ever. Don't have any complaints there. Coming from a 3gs, it's not as pronounced as it would be had I came from a 3g, but still noticeably faster. Scrolling pages quickly results in much less checkering, if at all.

3) Battery Life: One of the most impressive things about the new iphone I think is the battery life. Apple hit a home run with it as far as I'm concerned. I can pretty much say I'm getting at least 30-40% more life out of it, using it as much, if not more than my 3GS with the settings the same between the two. With everything on except for bluetooth on the iphone 4, I get the same life I did with my 3gs with everything off except for 3g. Pretty impressive.

3) Speaker: The speaker is kinda a mixed bag for me. The quality out of the speaker seems like it may be a little better than on the 3gs, but doesn't seem loud enough. When I tested this against the 3gs, it was pretty clear that the 3gs volume was a louder. Somewhat of a let down for me, as I sometimes use it at work when I'm cleaning the stuff we sell, and the shop I work at has a radio always going, so I like to be able to hear my music over the shops. I can't use ear phones, as I still need to be able to hear if I get paged. I'm not sure if this is something that could possibly be fixed through some kind of a software update, as it seems like the ringtone comes through a lot louder than the music, aswell as speakerphone (although in my observations, still not as loud as the 3gs). Maybe there is some kind of volume restriction when playing music to help conserve battery. I don't know. How loud my 3gs was, was one of the things I really liked about it.

4) Ear piece sound quality: The sound out of the ear piece sounds great, probably better than ever. I heard some people worrying about the noise canceling ability of the phone making it harder to carry on a conversation, but this is not the case, at least not for me. Everything in this respects seems to be working just as intended.

5) Screen: Not really much to say here. We all know it's absolutely amazing. No real issues using it outside either. Very impressed.

6) GPS: The GPS seems a little better than on the 3gs. Doesn't lag as much, although still not as accurate as a regular dedicated gps is. It still sometimes shows me driving in the grass and such when using google maps or trapster, but not as bad as with the 3gs. To be fair though, I haven't used a dedicated GPS app like Tom Tom or Magelan to see how their software handles the GPS info.

7) Camera: The camera is another feature that has been much improved upon. The picture and video quality is head and shoulders above the 3gs. I would feel confident letting this be my only camera, as I feel the quality is deffinalty good enough for anything that I would need it for in day to day life. Maybe if I was going to a wedding or something, I might take a super high res camera, but really, for a night out with friends, this camera is deffinatly good enough, even in low light, at least for me. I guess I can take Mr. Jobs at his word that it's not all about mega pixels.

8) Hiccups and Issues: By now we all know about the reception issues the iphone has, so I'm not gonna say to much on it other than I hope it gets fixed. My phone has it, but it hasn't caused me to drop a call yet. I don't generally hold the phone in a way that causes me to put my finger on the no-no spot, but I have accidently slipped my finger over it and call quality degraded. I have also been surfing with the phone in lanscape resting on my chest and lost my data connection, aswell as holding the phone in my left hand while flicking the screen with my right while surfing, and also lost data connection. Both times I found myself thinking "Oh, dammit, I forgot" and adjusting so that I could get signal back. Hopefully this gets fixed soon. Another issue is the proximity sensor. Seems if I move my head slightly one way or another, the sensor seems to think I've pulled the phone away from my ear and turns the screen on. It's caused me to go to speaker phone multiple times, aswell as dialing numbers. To me, right now, this is bothering me more than the reception issue. Hopefully be fixed soon aswell.
    One other thing that I've noticed with my phone is that whenever I type a web address in the address bar, my phone asks me if I want to call whatever I typed in. I know it's weird, and it seems like I'm the only one having this problem. I will probably go to the apple store at some point to show them and see what they say about it.

All in all I would say the new iphone is pretty good. I personally think that apple should have stayed with a design that more closely resembled the 3g-3gs, instead of a drastic re-design like they came up with, changing little by little over time to get more feedback on what people like/don't like, but that's just me. Inside, it's pretty much the same old iphone, just faster and more polished. I have a few more other opinions on the phone, but none of which are really usefull. Hopefully this helps someone still on the fence about getting one or not, or someone who wants to compare their thoughts on the phone to someone elses. Seems like everything on the forums right now is mostly about the antenna issue, so I figured I'd put this up for anyone interested. As I said, these are just my opinions so take them with a grain of salt. Others milage may very. Take it easy, RV.

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I agree with you on almost all your points.

I would like to say on the GPS point you made. The fact that it showed you driving in the grass etc is only partially the fault of the GPS. A good part of it is also in the maps and the calibration of the unit to the maps. I have the same issue with my Garmin handheld GPS unit that I use on my sailboat. When in the parking lot it shows me about a hundred yards in the lake. When sailing it can show me sailing through the trees when I get close to shore.

I have had my phone in a case from the moment I got it. I have the reception issue but the case makes it a minor non-issue to me.

I have faith that one way or another Apple will solve that problem through software or hardware. Until then I'll just keep on enjoying this fantastic piece of kit.

3. erik.thor21 macrumors newbie

I agree that the 3G/3GS feel is much better. Especially surfing the web in landscape. I was hoping for an iPhone mini, but maybe next year.

4. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very true, which is why I put in that I haven't actually used it with a real GPS app. I feel that the way the app handles the GPS data may very well be a lot better than the way google maps or trapster handles it. Trapster seems to do a better job than google maps, so I have a feeling that may be the case.

5. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Can you review why the **** my photos end up sideways when I send them to my email? :confused:

6. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your doing it wrong?:confused:

7. mer4343 macrumors newbie

Agreed!

I strongly agree that the proximity sensor issue is MUCH more troublesome than the reception. Yes, I lose bars when I cover the antenna gap. I do not ever drop calls because of it.

I do drop calls left and right due to the proximity sensor issue! It's just as you said--if I move my head, the sensor turns on the screen and all of a sudden I have either hung up, muted, or put my call on hold and dialed another random number without even realizing it.

I am on my second iP4 now. Returned the first one due to the sensor issue, but the second may be even worse! I feel stupid returning this one so I guess I'll sit tight and wait for the fix.

Still the best phone I have ever owned (and I have owned 3G and 3GS), and I wouldn't trade it for a different one.

8. GaiaAero macrumors regular

You would LOVE to be me then >.<
    I don't have the proximity sensor issue but I do have the death grip issue. I didn't exactly want a case but I guess I'll need to get the free one :apple:

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

My only and biggest issue is the Prox Sensor I keep muting my calls, especially if I have a little sweat from being at the gym when I answer the call I try to keep the phone an inch away from my face and I always MUTE my calls, and then I wonder why I am talking and no one hears what I am saying....:D

10. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7