My parents are being amazing and buying me a camera

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Well yesterday my parents both agreed that they want me to go ahead and continue with my movie making, yet I have no camera(I use other peoples).

So they said they would buy me a new camera!:)

Now I have a PowerMac G5 Single 1.8 1.25 gb ram and an X800XT. Could I be able to edit HD video ok? Or would it be too taxing on my system? I would use iMovie and After Effects. Would upping my ram to 2gb help?

Also, if I would get some camera suggestions? I;m not sure if I should get a tape, memory, or HDD camera. Also, HD or SD?

The budget is really as long as it's under $650, 500-600 really.

Thank you!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I can't say much about the camera as I am thinking personal camera, camcorder, you know...consumer crap. I have no use for one but bought my father the JVC one that is a hard drive. Very cool and he plugs it into the JVC burner and makes movies. Very consumer driven. But anyway, as far as your system I would think it would be very taxing to edit HD. I would up the ram as much as possible, but I still believe you'll find that it is nearly painful to edit HD.
As far as the camera does go though, I would not ignore HD because of your system. I would get HD if you can swing it and then upgrade the system asap.

Good luck and congrats.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Awwww, what a cute title. It's kind of like Dawson's Creek (um, not that I watched that show or anything):)

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I can't say much about the camera as I am thinking personal camera, camcorder, you know...consumer crap. I have no use for one but bought my father the JVC one that is a hard drive. Very cool and he plugs it into the JVC burner and makes movies. Very consumer driven. But anyway, as far as your system I would think it would be very taxing to edit HD. I would up the ram as much as possible, but I still believe you'll find that it is nearly painful to edit HD.
As far as the camera does go though, I would not ignore HD because of your system. I would get HD if you can swing it and then upgrade the system asap.

Good luck and congrats.
The thing is, I think I have upgraded my system to the max, besides RAM, but I don't think anymore is going to help me much. I'm guessing SD is the way to go?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The thing is, I think I have upgraded my system to the max, besides RAM, but I don't think anymore is going to help me much. I'm guessing SD is the way to go?
I meant that you may need to think about a new machine.

Go HD. Check this camera out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/481076-REG/Canon_2059B001_HV20_2_96MP_CMOS_HDV.html

Canon HV20 has HD and 24p capabilities. Not bad for a consumer camcorder. If you're wondering why you should go HD, it's because everyone is moving towards it. And besides, you could shoot in SD on an HD cam if you wanted to. :D So you have the best of both worlds.
Yes, I would go HD because that is where we are at and yes you can record SD on an HD camera as far as I can tell. Again, this isn't my area of interest so I could be wrong. But fiercetiger has a point.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I changed the budget to 500-600 since the other money os going elsewhere:rolleyes: Sorry about that.

If I got and HD camera, would the SD output be superior?

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Just bought a canon HV20 on eBay for $817. It's an AWESOME little camcorder... I highly recommend it. It retails for $1099 though, so you might want to check eBay or something of that sort, although I think other places sell them for less, such as circuit city for ~$970.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
To refine my search again:rolleyes::

really long battery life, I need that
good 16:9 support
HD quality no needed(but ok)
and video quality has to be sharp and good in low light

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Try to get a Sony PD 150 used onn ebay, or a used sony PD 170, maybe a VX2000.
Those are professional SD camcoders. (DV cam). They have excellent low light conditions. Your G5 would handle incredible well DV.
Dont go HDV, your G5 cant handle that, I have a 2.3 DP G5 and its very painful. (Now i have a MP =),
Get a Nice DvCam. (stay away from Canon XL1 and XL2)

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Try to get a Sony PD 150 used onn ebay, or a used sony PD 170, maybe a VX2000.
Those are professional SD camcoders. (DV cam). They have excellent low light conditions. Your G5 would handle incredible well DV.
Dont go HDV, your G5 cant handle that, I have a 2.3 DP G5 and its very painful. (Now i have a MP =),
Get a Nice DvCam. (stay away from Canon XL1 and XL2)
Those 3 are a little out of my budget, max $650.

crazydrumma

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
Chicago
get the HV20

The canon HV20 is a high definition camcorder that uses Mini HD, so it is a lot more convenient than hard drive. It has gotten great reviews and it's $926 at circuit city. If your parents are paying up to 800, just pitch in 126 bucks for the difference. It looks great to me.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
I have a Panasonic PV-GS320. Read the review of it on Macworld. It's small, light, and you can get a really good extended life battery for it. It's got really great image quality for an SD camera.