My Passport Essential - Mac + PC.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ^^ CoolMacLover, May 21, 2010.

1. ^^ CoolMacLover macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

I dont want to have to use a program on all my computers. I want to be able to copy paste data from mac, and put them on my PC. I want to be able to get data from my friends PC and put on my mac. Without having to install a punch of software on all my questions to get it to work... How do I do this?

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Make a FAT32 partition on it for data transfers (Thats how I do it - with an 8GB USB Stick)

3. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Thanks. So FAT32 will work just like drag and drop etc?

Do you know of any tuts for formatting it step by step i dont want to screw it up.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

format disk instructions

you want to use "MS-DOS (FAT)" even though it doesn't say 32 it is

the only downside to this is an individual file is limited to 4GB.
    I still am a bit amazed that that's really an issue now, but i have a few HD movie files that are much larger than 4GB, some that are areound 35GB.

5. rtheb macrumors 6502

I have a boot camp installation and it is easy to transfer files between both the Snow Leopard and Windows 7 operating systems no matter which operating system is in use.

I use NTFS for Mac OS X 8.0 which eliminates the 4GB limit and allows you to read and write to the NTFS file system from the Mac Side.

For the Windows side I use MacDrive 8 which allows you to read and write to the OSX file system.

6. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Funny, but didnt help cause that keeps giving me stuff for partin my HD, i want to reformat.

I dont want to have to install any programs. Its too much of a pain.

7. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

As long as your hard disk is in MBR (click the Options button in the partition tab of Disk Utility) - you just need to click the partition and select Erase to format it.