my passport mac incorrect used space reported

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jumbopain, Dec 26, 2011.

1. jumbopain macrumors newbie

my passport is partitioned into 2: time machine and just storage (Mac OS Extended [Journaled]).

after moving a couple files back and forth between my mac and the storage partition, and then installing bootcamp using an ISO file from the storage partition, my passport hard drive says i only used 4GB total out of the 199GB storage partition. However if i go to the individual files they are well > 100GB total. and when i tried to add more files it said "full".

I have no idea/hit dead-ends on searches for what to do next.

I have been using my hard drive on the macbook Air, Mid-June, and i tried it on another MBP and the same thing happened.

Thank you for any help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are a few things you can try:
    • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
      [​IMG]
    • For Time Machine users on Lion, Time Machine local snapshots may be consuming space.
    • Use DiskInventory X (pre-Lion), OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

3. jumbopain thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i am not sure if that is what i was asking.

i added a screenshot. the passport says used 4.5 GB, but the modern family folder is clearly 8GB + in that passport partition (and there is much more files on that partition)

Attached Files:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might try re-indexing your drive.

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes