My "PC-User" friends

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sawtooth811, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

When I brought my Sawtooth G4 up campus and showed my friends the old G4 after experimenting with it, they say stuff like: "WOW! This thing looks awesome", and stuff like that. I tell them that this computer came out in 1999, and they seriously don't believe me! One of them had the guts to finally purchase a G5 a couple of weeks ago (he's on this forum right now; his name is royevans) with some strange specs.

2. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    so.....whats the question:confused:
    Forums are for questions you know...

3. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

There are general discussion forums below if you're looking to chat. :)

4. Sawtooth811 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

This QUESTION IS...... Do you think Macs are years ahead PC's?

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Considering $1100 Macs still come with Combo drives, I'd say they could learn a lot from a lot of PC manufacturers.

6. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Seeing Apple's sales number in the last two years compared to the general choas of PC makers, I would say that Apple doesn't have much to learn from them.

Apple has always had a "Good, Better, Best" model with computer sales. In order to give all three lines adequate CPU, memory, HD, etc, they have to differentiate the lines in other ways such as color (black MacBook tax of $150), size (24" iMac), and optical drive. If you need an optical drive, you have to pay more. Apple isn't saving any money selling you a combo drive. They are making more money by having you buy a higher margin machine. Kudos to Apple.

Regardless, how often does the average person burn a DVD on their MacBook. Probably not as often as you would think. The average MacRumors reader/member is not your average computer user.

Design wise, Apple is years ahead of PC makers. Look at the original iMac and the PC Makers that followed in its wake. Even after Apple moved on, other companies were still pushing forward with bubblegum computers. No one has even come close to replicating the style and functionality of G4 iMac let alone the G5/Intel iMac.

Hardware wise, Apple is generally a few months behind the bleeding edge. Sometimes they catch a wave and introduce a new CPU before anyone else but then they continue to use it in their flagship machines much longer than other makers. They use what most computer savvy people call out-dated GPU's like the FX 5200, the ATi 9200 and more recently the X1600. But, in Apple's defense, if you were to ask the average consumer if they cared, 90% wouldn't even know what you were talking about.

7. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    For some things, yes. Others, no.

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Who really cares? Mac's are so cool and miles better ... that's what counts.

9. Sawtooth811 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

I've read that Apple say themselves that they are one (or two) years ahead. Some people care just to brag about Apple being ahead of the rest of the clan.:apple:

The reason why Apple SEEMS to be more "expensive" than PC, is because Mac Computers come with more software bundles, and free stuff. If you've had a Mac compared to a PC in pricing, coming with the same amount of stuff, trust me, PC is more expensive than a Mac, and trust me, PC's have a lot more to learn from Mac, than vice versa.

10. tractordriver88 macrumors newbie

No, they are about on par with each other now.
    I can't think of anything anymore that one can do that the other can't.

11. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

In the 1.5 years I have had my MacBook, I can only remember 1 time I used the CD Drive at all. I completely understand Apples decision to leave it out of the MBA, understanding that other peoples mileage may vary.

I think that in some ways, Apple is ahead of the PC market, in other ways, not so much. Hardware is fairly even in my eyes, in terms of overall computing experience, Apple is DECADES AHEAD, ( just my opinion).

12. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Hardware wise (specs) they aren't really ahead, they are on par with everyone else...design-wise they have been light years ahead since Jobs came back to Apple. Furthermore, OS X is obviously way ahead of anything Microsoft has to offer....

Things have changed a lot since the 90s and now is when I felt comfortable switching to Apple. I absolutely adore my new MacBook!!! :D

13. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I agree with the above....

Hardware-wise? No, about equal.

Software/operating system-wise? Well, not technologically, no, but user-experience-wise? Most definitely

Design and pioneering-wise? Yes yes yes. Go to the wikipedia page and look up all of Mac's firsts since Jobs came back. They were the first to lose the floppy. They were the first to make USB standard. Now they're the first to say goodbye to the optical drive, etc.

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

Many, many firsts, but not this one--ultraportables/subnotebooks without built-in optical drives have been around in one form or another for a long time. Plenty to be said about the Air in terms of straddling the line between the two in terms of size and features, but that's not particularly revolutionary.

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

optical drives will be around for a while as HD optical media is just starting to arrive but will take a while before it becomes mainstream. but in terms of the way be store and view media over the internet i.e. iTunes and Time Machine the optical drive is slowly dying.

16. Sawtooth811 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Not true, from my experiences. It's not always about what they can do, it's about how they do it also. I just want to know how far ahead they are, 'cause they are ahead, some distance.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apple is always behind when adopting latest graphic card, CPU, I don't know what apple was talking about by saying they are years ahead. ahead of making money?
    whaaaaaat? you wanna count one by one? :D

18. kencris macrumors newbie

PC Mac question

Hello, I know that between two Macs you can have the feature of shared screen and communicate between them, is this possible with a regular PC running Windows XP and a Mac book pro? It might help to mention that I have the airport extreme, and the PC is connected with wire to it. The Mac book pro is wireless with the Airport extreme. Is this possible? and how do I do this?

19. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I'll give you the graphics card but you are way off on the CPU's.
    Apple is using a couple of CPU's the rest of the industry still has to wait on.
    Since the switch to Intel, Apple has been very aggressive on this front.

20. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I dare you to find an All-In-One PC with the same overall performance and style as the iMac. The only thing that comes close is the newest revision of the Gateway Profile, and it is significantly more expensive.

13.3" Notebooks? Very hard these days for PCs to match spec for spec with the macbook / MBP even in price. The only 13.3" (smallest) notebook Dell offers is the XPS.. and it starts close to 2000. (Though I believe they have a Sale going on ATM that has it for $1300).

Ever check out Sony's smaller portable line? Also very expensive. Bear in mind ALL of these are without extra software you pay for with a PC.

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, there are always pros and cons with apple's products, you wanna compare 13.3"? fine, give it to apple

how about 14", 15", 17" 21" 12" 7" 10"?

when you focus on one product apple makes, remember there are 10 out there apple have no corresponding offers. and I dare you to say those "10" have no market.

Find a <2Lbs computers from apple
    Find a sub $500 laptop from apple
    Find a red/green/blue laptop from apple

Im glad you know apple's strength, now face the reality that apple has more weakness.
    same as above, what you were referring to, is probably that 60% shrinking CPU in MBA, and thats like.... 1 out of 10 cases? if you can look at that 1 case, how about give some credit to other 9 cases when apple lag behind? not to mention PC makers don't need to beg Intel for special design.

22. Sawtooth811 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Have you lost it??? The Mac Pro has a 1.5GB Graphics card!!!! Plus, You're waaaaaaay off the CPU. I now learned that Apple is ahead.

23. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Funny, I didn't purchase my MacBook because it was "cool". They can be used for functionality too :)

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I Lost it? When was quadro fx 5600 released? when was it available and used by PCs? and when was it available for macs?

CPU, way off? what is the latest Intel CPU? what is the latest intel CPU in a pc? what is the latest intel CPU in a mac?

give some credit to truth. show some respect to truth.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No....I can build a PC that's more powerful than a Mac for a fraction of the cost and use Linux which is free, and just about every program for Linux is free.